Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good deal on a Big Muddy M2 on Boston CL

Default Good deal on a Big Muddy M2 on Boston CL

I saw this 2021 Big Muddy M2 for $500 on craigslist. Looks like a darned good deal to me.

He's also got this 1915-1916 Gibson oval hole for $800, and that's probably a good deal, too - but I don't really feel qualified to have an opinion on that one, as he mentions some repairs to the back.

I'm at my limit right now, so just passing it along
    (FWIW being at my limit doesn't stop me from looking)

Default Re: Good deal on a Big Muddy M2 on Boston CL

Sue, that is a very good on the Gibson A-3, you might want to rethink that one.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    Sue, that is a very good on the Gibson A-3, you might want to rethink that one.
    Believe me, I did think about it. It's less than an hour from me. I'm not in a position to spend any more money right now, though.

I hope the seller has not fallen on hard times.

5. The following members say thank you to MrMoe for this post:

Thanks for the post, Sue.
    I'm going to take a look at the A3 today. Looks from the photos that the "professionally reglued back" may involve some missing binding: otherwise from the photos it looks in good shape: but I'll see in person! Any opinions about how much the repair/missing binding diminishes value?

7. The following members say thank you to mjbee for this post:

Cool! Good luck! I'd be interested in how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by mjbee View Post
    Thanks for the post, Sue.
    I'm going to take a look at the A3 today. Looks from the photos that the "professionally reglued back" may involve some missing binding: otherwise from the photos it looks in good shape: but I'll see in person! Any opinions about how much the repair/missing binding diminishes value?
    The binding could always be replaced, don't think it will diminish value all that much.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Well, the A3 looked even better in person. Love the teens pumpkin top: I couldn't resist! What I thought was missing binding was just a photo reflection. It does seem to have been oversprayed on the back and sides: slightly imperfect match between sides and back on the re-glue, but overall not too bad. The top, frets, and neck are in great shape. The action needs to be lowered, which I am hoping to do by shaving off some of the bridge bottom (not sure if the bridge is original: need to see close-up images of similar teens Gibsons). This mandolin may not be a keeper for me (I just acquired a '21 F4, so it may be a bit redundant) , but certainly fits in to my "catch and release" plan. Thanks again, Sue, for the sharing the craigslist post. BTW, the seller hasn't fallen on hard times, but appears to driven by a short attention span: a self-described "serial hobbiest" who thought he'd take up mandolin during the pandemic, but who is now into ham radio. Selling his mandolins and ukes to buy radio equipment, and apparently is excited enough by his new hobby to get rid of his instruments quickly.

11. The following members say thank you to mjbee for this post:

Glad you got a good deal on a good mandolin, and glad he hasn't fallen on hard times.
    So, just because curious minds want to know, if the neck et. al. are good, what is driving the high action?

Hopefully someone else will grab that Big Muddy (I already have an M15).

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    Glad you got a good deal on a good mandolin, and glad he hasn't fallen on hard times.
    So, just because curious minds want to know, if the neck et. al. are good, what is driving the high action?
    Good question. I don't notice any top sinkage. I'm suspecting it's not the original bridge, and hoping that the bridge is the culprit. I stumbled on a link to an old Gibson manual yesterday (and can't find it today!) that said that factory set-ups were purposefully set up high with the understanding that it would all "settle": maybe this one never did!

14. The following members say thank you to mjbee for this post:

Blog Entries

That Big Muddy M2 is a fine mandolin. It could easily be someone's forever mandolin. And in truth, it could easily be someone's forever only mandolin.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by mjbee View Post
    Well, the A3 looked even better in person. Love the teens pumpkin top: I couldn't resist! What I thought was missing binding was just a photo reflection. It does seem to have been oversprayed on the back and sides: slightly imperfect match between sides and back on the re-glue, but overall not too bad. The top, frets, and neck are in great shape. The action needs to be lowered, which I am hoping to do by shaving off some of the bridge bottom (not sure if the bridge is original: need to see close-up images of similar teens Gibsons). This mandolin may not be a keeper for me (I just acquired a '21 F4, so it may be a bit redundant) , but certainly fits in to my "catch and release" plan. Thanks again, Sue, for the sharing the craigslist post. BTW, the seller hasn't fallen on hard times, but appears to driven by a short attention span: a self-described "serial hobbiest" who thought he'd take up mandolin during the pandemic, but who is now into ham radio. Selling his mandolins and ukes to buy radio equipment, and apparently is excited enough by his new hobby to get rid of his instruments quickly.
    Man, I bet I could have traded him some radio equipment for those mandolins (the hubby is always buying and selling that stuff). Lol.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    That Big Muddy M2 is a fine mandolin. It could easily be someone's forever mandolin. And in truth, it could easily be someone's forever only mandolin.
    It's brandy new, too.

The rest of the A3 part of this story: I shaved a bit off the bridge: the action is perfect, and it sounds-so-sweet. Now, either it was a) the poor lighting in the DD in which we conducted the transaction, b) the fact that the humidity was "wicked high" (as we say around here) when I bought it, and the mandolin is now in my controlled 45%+/- music room, c) I need new glasses, or, d/ "all of the above", but I didn't catch an approximately 1mm wide, 2.5" long gap between the binding and the back plate to the left of the end block/tailpiece. (How DID I miss that?!?) All appears stabile: no rattles etc., but I suspect that some repair now will prevent a problem in the future. I'm going to start a new thread to get some advice on how to repair it, but I thought I'd report back to all of you good folks.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A3seam 1.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	429.1 KB 
ID:	195024'

Name:	A3seam2.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	417.7 KB 
ID:	195025

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    It's brandy new, too.
    I am checking on it now to see if it is still available. I am new to the mando world and unfamiliar with Big Muddy. Can you share a little of what you like about them? Thanks. (now it's time to search Youtube videos).
    ---
    Tony

Big Muddy are simple but solidly built US made mandolins. Lots of fans of them here at the Cafe if you do a search for Big Muddy or Mid-Missouri (which was the name they used to be built under). Great instruments for most playing styles, though due to their flat top and round sound hole perhaps not an obvious choice for playing bluegrass, but should hold their own well with most other genres such as old time, irish traditional music, fiddle tunes, classical, folk. I had a Mid-Missouri mandola for awhile and was quite impressed with how nice the sound was. The other great thing about Big Muddy/Mid-Missouri mandolins is that if you want to move up the mandolin food chain later you wouldn't have a problem selling one on as they're quite popular, but on the other hand, due to their quality you might also decide that it's all the mandolin you need.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Thanks. There's an M4 for sale that I am checking on right now. Not sure of the sound difference but looking into it. Thanks for any insight.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TonyC View Post
    Thanks. There's an M4 for sale that I am checking on right now. Not sure of the sound difference but looking into it. Thanks for any insight.
    The builder, Mike Dulak, thinks that the M4 mandolins are the best sounding ones that he makes due to their rosewood backs.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

23. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

TonyC 

I have a walnut backed Big Muddy ("primitive build"), and in general I favor it over my Eastman MD315 ( see avatar).
    Great instrument and a bargain even at brand new price.

25. The following members say thank you to Chris Cochran for this post:

MrMoe 

Quote Originally Posted by TonyC View Post
    I am checking on it now to see if it is still available. I am new to the mando world and unfamiliar with Big Muddy. Can you share a little of what you like about them? Thanks. (now it's time to search Youtube videos).
    ---
    Tony
    It was still there yesterday; he'd raised the price but dropped it down again. I've got a 1999 Mid Mo M15 mandola. I love it. It looks and sounds great, and I like the way it feels in my hand.

Good luck, I hope you get it!

I teased mj10008 (Martin Jonas) on youTube about all of his other mandolins having Mid Mo envy. I think he is playing a few of his others to keep peace in his mandolim family.

Well...I actually think I will be getting the M4 that came up for sale yesterday in the Classifieds. Very excited. It's funny since Big Muddy wasn't even on my radar until yesterday. I will keep you posted. Thanks for your feedback.

Wouldn't it be cool to hear the two of them side by side?
    I guess if Mike Dulak says the M4 is the best sounding one, that carries some weight.
    Last edited by Sue Rieter; Jul-20-2021 at 9:07pm.

Well...my Mid Missouri M4 arrived today and it is amazing! Very different from my friend's Eastman 605, but once I got used to it, I fell in love. Such a lovely sound and so inspiring. Let me see if I can figure out how to attach a pic. Thanks for sharing and inspiring me to get it.

Name:	20210728_150618.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	545.2 KB 
ID:	195462Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210728_221931.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	374.3 KB 
ID:	195463

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TonyC For This Useful Post:

Beautiful, congratulations! Did you add the bridge?