Thread: Identify mystery 5-string?

Default Identify mystery 5-string?

Here is an interesting F-style instrument I've acquired. Looks like it might have begun life with a floating bridge and through-body string ferrules; then later someone got the bright idea to install a hardtail bridge and drill for a new set of ferrules underneath it. Has a DeArmond-type "S"-style gold foil pickup (could even be an original DeArmond, but how would I know?) and a very distinctive headstock and logo.

The seller didn't know the builder's name, only that it was built in West Virginia. Now you know that when I, of all people, don't recognize an electric mandolin, it must be pretty obscure. Does anyone recognize this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 - 2021-06-30T114907.451.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	225.8 KB 
ID:	194950

Name:	s-l1600 - 2021-06-30T114917.686.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	206.2 KB 
ID:	194952

Name:	s-l1600 - 2021-06-30T114924.368.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	183.0 KB 
ID:	194951

Name:	s-l1600 - 2021-06-30T114929.093.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	194953

Name:	s-l1600 - 2021-06-30T114942.260.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	152.9 KB 
ID:	194954
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Default Re: Identify mystery 5-string?

I only recognize the pickup. I installed one myself on a "practice" 4-string Fender copy that a local (Philly) builder had made for me. ("Builder" should be in quotation marks too — his only previous experience was that had he accompanied his son to a music store, his son wanted a Les Paul, he said "I can make one of those for way cheaper", and evidently he felt successful doing so. He actually cloned my '57 amazingly closely, but didn't clone the headstock anywhere near close to the same specs, probably because he didn't recognize the value associated with the design.)
    mando scales
    technical exercises for rock blues & fusion mandolinists
    mp4 backing tracks & free downloadable pdfs

jimbevan.com

Somebody on Facebook identified the logo. It's Fairbuilt Guitars, by Martin Fair of Virginia.

Whether that is an original DeArmond pickup or a copy (Curtis Novak makes some nice ones) I don't know, but perhaps Mr. Fair will respond to an email inquiry.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

You know, that's a pretty nice melding of the traditional and the not-so-much - I really like the headstock design and the overall aesthetic - apart from the tailpiece trainwreck! I bet that gold foil sounds good.