Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ry Cooder isolated mandolin Love in Vain

Default Ry Cooder isolated mandolin Love in Vain

Mr. Cranky's musicality has remained a touchstone for my guitar and mandolin playing for decades, I stumbled upon this today. I had it mostly right!

Skip to 10:35

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob_mc For This Useful Post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Ry Cooder isolated mandolin Love in Vain

Wow! Very cool to hear this. As I think I've mentioned once or twice, this is the first instance of mandolin on a rock record I ever heard. Not "Fat Man," not "Rag Mama Rag," this right here. Good to hear it without all that caterwauling and banging around from the other galoots on this record - so distracting. This is the real deal.

Mr. Cranky? Is that a thing? News to me.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

4. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

bob_mc 

"Mr. Cranky" is a something I read years ago (maybe in GP?) it stuck in my mind. I love his playing completely and thoroughly, no disrespect intended.

Is "Fat Man" the little Feat tune?

Blog Entries

"Fat Man" by Jethro Tull, not "Fat Man In The Bathtub." Little Feat is one of my favorite bands, but their mandolin content is low. And later.

I didn't think any disrespect or disparagement was intended regarding the wry Mr. Cooder. I'd just never seen that before.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

Love me some Ry Cooder but across the room my wife said "who is that person singing almost as bad as Bob Dylan"? I found it hard to listen to as well, out of context.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

9. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

bob_mc 

I did read an interview with him a few years later where he was certainly a bit cranky about the Stones' blatantly lifting his open G electric guitar stylings for the rock version of Honky Tonk Women.
    Bren

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bren For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bren View Post
    I did read an interview with him a few years later where he was certainly a bit cranky about the Stones' blatantly lifting his open G electric guitar stylings for the rock version of Honky Tonk Women.
    It wasn't just lifting his style, right? Didn't they invite him to an audition for the band, and then secretly tape him while he was playing around waiting for Keith Richards to show up? Later, they told him 'Not interested', and then Richards listened to the tapes and copied his style. Anyway, that's the story I heard.

IMHO: Ry Cooder >>>>>>>>>>>> the Rolling Stones

Dawg interviewed Ry and the interview appeared in a MWN issue in 1979. Here's the salient part relative to this thread.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MWN_RyCooder.jpg 
Views:	471 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	194975  

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AlanN For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I remember reading somewhere that there was talk of Ry joining the Rolling Stones. This was around the time Brian Jones was losing it and finally lost it. Mick Taylor was also in the running, and the Glimmer Twins eventually went with him. He's on two tracks on "Let It Bleed," Ry's on one, and Brian barely at all - two minor instruments on two tracks. I don't know how accurate these characterizations are of how Keith adopted the G tuning - ripping off someone who might become a band mate seems unseemly, to say the least - but it did become his style ever since, far beyond just for "Honky Tonk Women."

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Man, that is one of my favorite Stones songs from that era. Speaking of tunings, is Ry playing his mandolin in standard tuning on that track? It sounds like it to me but I’m no expert on blues mandolin.

As far as Keith copying Ry’s guitar tuning, well, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and everyone borrows from everyone. But if that story is true, it was kind of crappy of them.
    Living’ in the Mitten

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ostrander View Post
    As far as Keith copying Ry’s guitar tuning, well, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and everyone borrows from everyone. But if that story is true, it was kind of crappy of them.
    Open G tuning is not exactly so unique as to be copyrightable. Even if you do remove the low E string.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

18. The following members say thank you to jaycat for this post:

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    I remember reading somewhere that there was talk of Ry joining the Rolling Stones. This was around the time Brian Jones was losing it and finally lost it. Mick Taylor was also in the running, and the Glimmer Twins eventually went with him. He's on two tracks on "Let It Bleed," Ry's on one, and Brian barely at all - two minor instruments on two tracks. I don't know how accurate these characterizations are of how Keith adopted the G tuning - ripping off someone who might become a band mate seems unseemly, to say the least - but it did become his style ever since, far beyond just for "Honky Tonk Women."

There's the famous story where Brian Jones walks in late (again), listens to the track, says 'This is great. What can I play?' and Mick Jagger sneers back 'Yes, Brian, what CAN you play?'
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

20. The following members say thank you to David Lewis for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by David Lewis View Post
    There's the famous story where Brian Jones walks in late (again), listens to the track, says 'This is great. What can I play?' and Mick Jagger sneers back 'Yes, Brian, what CAN you play?'
    For starters:

Brass
    Oboe
    Organ
    Dulcimer
    Mellotron
    Slide guitar
    Harmonica
    Recorder
    Sitar
    Marimba
    Saxophone
    Percussions
    Keyboard.

Mick, on the other hand, could play a bit of guitar and some harmonica.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaycat For This Useful Post:

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    For starters:

Brass
    Oboe
    Organ
    Dulcimer
    Mellotron
    Slide guitar
    Harmonica
    Recorder
    Sitar
    Marimba
    Saxophone
    Percussions
    Keyboard.

Mick, on the other hand, could play a bit of guitar and some harmonica.
    This is true. But Mick could write songs... (Brian wrote 'She's a Rainbow' as far as I can tell, and not much else - happy to be corrected).
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

24. The following members say thank you to David Lewis for this post:

jaycat 

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    For starters:
    You missed congas on "Midnight Rambler" and autoharp on "You Got the Silver" - his last two contributions to The Rolling Stones' recording history, on "Let It Bleed." Not exactly crucial input.

The point is by this time Brian Jones was deeply into drug abuse and wasn't even showing up at the studio, let alone being able to play what he could play. So Mick's question was valid in this context - what could he play at the time, not what had he played over time. He was fired during the recording sessions, and died soon after.

Well, this took a dark turn ... through the past, darkly ...

26. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

jaycat 

This has been around for awhile now......in this part of the interview Richards gives credit to Cooder. Then continue watching if you really want to cringe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AXETu9wnCE

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ostrander View Post
    Man, that is one of my favorite Stones songs from that era. Speaking of tunings, is Ry playing his mandolin in standard tuning on that track? It sounds like it to me but I’m no expert on blues mandolin.

They are playing in Bb, so you would think not, but I believe he was playing standard tuning. The thing is mostly tremolo double stops with a couple of fills, obviously, and it fits nicely on the instrument in standard. One of the fills goes to the V chord, the F, and it sounds right ending up as a double stop with f on the E string and an open A.

I can't hear it very well, even isolated, but it sounds right if you play a lot of the Bb double stops on the E and A string, 6th and 5th fret, Moving down to the 4th fret to change to a flat 7 chord. Etc...

Blog Entries

Etc. Especially etc. Looks like a good analysis. I've never been terribly good at sussing out tunings or particular fingerings by ear. But logic dictates that if this was a spur-of-the-moment overdub that Ry did in one take, as he says, he wouldn't have been messing around with alternate tunings. I doubt anyone would have had the patience for that.

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Etc. Especially etc.

It's not complicated, but it is hard to hear, so it would be a chore to transcribe the whole part, while it is easy enough to play something that sounds good.

I found it very interesting to listen to. I've done quite a bit of recording and am very used to listening to tracks isolated or limited to just a few tracks and then to the whole mix, and A/B-ing. The Rolling Stones are raw, it's their style and some people love that style while other listeners (and players who also listen) enjoy a more polished sound. Ry's mandolin part fits the song well, I think.

32. The following members say thank you to Cheryl Watson for this post:

bob_mc 

Just heard this awesome Ry Cooder produced Mavis Staples song on the radio, with Ry playing mando and slide guitar, and his son Joachim on drums:

There’s a 1970s oval hole Gilchrist F mandolin made for Ry Cooder for sale at Carter Vintage right now, a cool piece of history. He picked it up on a tour of Australia.
    - Pete

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mando Mafia For This Useful Post:

Beanzybob_mc 

I love that solo, but that "isolated" track isn't that much better than just listening to it on Amazing Slowdowner. A lot of bleed from other channels for the vocal/mandolin track.

36. The following members say thank you to blauserk for this post:

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I think that track was was also my first intro to mandolin. I’m not even sure if I knew it was a mandolin back then, but it’s one of my favorite Stones tunes, albeit a cover tune.

As far as Stones albums go, Gimme Shelter, Beggars Banquet, and Sticky Fingers represent their most creative period, if you ask me. Those are my favorite albums. Oh, and Exile on Main Street is good too. Most critics say Exile is their best work, but I rank the other three higher. Just my opinion.
    Living’ in the Mitten

Blog Entries

I assume you mean "Let It Bleed," the album which contains "Gimme Shelter." I'm with you on those three, and can't settle on which one is my favorite - it varies from time to time. I also have a fondness for "Between The Buttons," which I've always seen as their rough equivalent to The Beatles' "Rubber Soul." Lots of good songs on it, and it was a step up in their sound, but it's not on the same level as those three.

No mando- Let It Bleed is definitely my favorite with Beggar's Banquet a close second, although i like them all up to Exile. i like every tune on Let it Bleed. Richards played a great bassline on Live With Me, and after hearing Bobby Keys on that record, he's recognizable on any other. Mick Talylor was on a couple of cuts on the album , and I think he must have inspired Richard to do great (for R&R) work.