Thread: Microphone for home recording

Default Microphone for home recording

Folks,
    Looking to add a microphone for home recording. MV 5 or MV 51. The 5 is $100 and the 51 is $200.

Default Re: Microphone for home recording

I started with a blue snowball usb mic. I don't know the two you listed.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

I think he's trying to sell in the wrong place.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

No, the question is what kind of USB mic to buy, I think. Two different Shure models are the choices.

MV5
    or
    MV 51

In general, in a commodity market (like USB mics), you get what you pay for. There are lots of options, but it may depend on the availability of what your can buy. There are lots of mics in that category. If those are the only options, buy what you can afford! Our son is happy with his AKG Lyra, the Blue Yeti (Pro) is popular, etc., etc.
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

Years ago I bought a USB condenser mic for home recording. It was easy but that mic was too easily overdriven. I think I paid $99 for it but can’t remember the brand (but it wasn’t Shure). In digging deeper the better quality USB mics were $700 plus back then, so I opted for a UR-22 interface with Shure SM-57 for instruments and 58 for vocals, with much better results. Somewhere along the way I picked up a Rode NT-1 condenser mic to use as well. Then, the daughter who was the singer I was recording graduated, moved to college, and I never really used the interface much. I have used all of the other mics in church, though, so it was still worth it, and I came out ahead price wise.

All that to say, these Shures sound like much better mics. FWIW, my son actually still uses my USB mic for podcasts and college radio shows, it just couldn’t handle the higher volume…
    Chuck

6. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

I went a similar route. And with the modern interfaces, you can get a very nice one relatively inexpensively.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Shure has a thing to use any microphone, it has a USB output.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Pawn shops often have USB recording interfaces - Red Scarlett, Presonus AudioBox, etc.
    In my area, they will mark an entire kit - two mics, headphones, and the audio interface + cables - around $50. Generally they are basically unused. Around here, pawn shops put the audio interface up for display and store all the mics and stuff in the back, so you might have to ask what's included.

I had a Blue Yeti, the quality from a Presonus kit mic + AudioBox is significantly better than what I was getting from the Yeti.

My apologies if I should start another thread. I have long been a nut for recording gear, especially pre amps and mics. Recently I fell in love with a website called
    mic-parts. They offer DIY builds but also offer mics they build and sell. Two night ago, I had my own little version of a mic shootout with some respected SDC's and this mic-parts 84 model was the best to my ear. They don't look as fancy as some but have a very fine recording ability on mandolin.(no financial interest, just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience)

11. The following members say thank you to Old Growth for this post: