Thread: Hot weather shipping concerns?

Default Hot weather shipping concerns?

Should we be concerned when an instrument has to make a cross-country trip in the summer, when temperatures can be in the 90's or more with high humidity (or large humidity fluctuations)? Is any material within the instrument liable to melt/loosen or expand with ill effects?

I ask because 1) I'm currently having a mild case of MAS, and 2) It's hot out!

Default Re: Hot weather shipping concerns?

Yes, you should be concerned. I'd say work with the seller to ship it quickly (I'd suggest overnight shipping) and pick a time period when the heat and humidity might break for a bit.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

The less time it's in the hands of a shipping company the better!!

I had an old mandolin shipped from the left coast in the middle of a big heat wave, and because the store was closed on Mondays it was shipped on Tuesday and arrived the next Monday. The weekend stay in a truck or depot was a concern, but the shipper agreed to relax the string tension and it arrived safely. Winter shipping suits me much better.

I'm definitely concerned. Holding off on ordering a new guitar for that very reason. It's up over 115 F here. I don't want anything I care about traveling in this weather or sitting on my west facing front porch.

When MAS hits it's hard to resist. I found a great deal earlier this year on a mando. It was also when the worst of the cold weather hit. Normally I'm all over the forecast, but total mindfog when I found this deal. Thankfully the dealer packed it well. I've also had expensive instruments arrive in the dog days of summer.

I use the same rule of thumb when ordering in winter or summer. Wait 24 hours to fully unpack it. I'll bring it into my music room. After a couple of hours I'll slit one end of the box open, open the flaps, and leave it until the next morning. Then I'll take it out of the shipping carton and leave it in the case until it feels the same temp as the room - okay, I geek out and check it with a laser thermometer. So far so good with this method. I haven't had an issue with heat or cold damage.

I wish I could say the same about the PRS SE I ordered. It came double boxed and perfect, but when I opened it up it looked like a factory 3rd. Both PRS and the store said they had inspected it. But that's another story.

Just received a very nice A Jr. in the heat of the south from Tommy. The Cafe Member shipped it from FL to TN wrapped in AC duct foil. What a concept. Great way to ship. I have sent and received many instruments but this was above and beyond. Sent USPS. My input is never ship over the weekend!
    It's not an addiction... It's an investment.
    Gil #794
    Preston Thompson 2-15
    Martin D-18VS

Don't fret it...I doubt those shipping containers (conex) are in a controlled environment while transporting our little gems over land and sea.
    Last edited by J Mangio; Jul-07-2021 at 7:22pm.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

I’m concerned, even with a solid body electric when it is around 110-115 F. I didn’t worry in Wisconsin, but it’s another ball game in Phoenix. I have visions of the instrument baking in the back of the truck...

I recently had a Weber F style mando shipped to me...the seller wrapped the headstock in bubble wrap and it essentially baked inside the case. When I received it, the finish was bubbled up and flaking off the headstock. Paper wrapping/padding may be a better idea in hot climates, just FYI.