Thread: F Style Mandolins

Default F Style Mandolins

Does anyone know when the first F Style mandolins started being built? Were the A style ones first? It seems like that would be the case.

Default Re: F Style Mandolins

Orville was building both styles before the creation of the company on October 11, 1902. His original patent was for an A style mandolin. The company built them from its inception although they quickly abandoned the method that Orville had patented. Take a glance through the Mandolin Archive by year to see some early examples. For more on Orville Gibson take a look at Roger Siminoff's Orville page.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

How does one find “Archive?”

Well, what were mandolins like prior to A and F ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Picking Dick View Post
    Short answer, the predecessor to the Orville Gibson designs were the European bowlback mandolins. For a more thorough answer, highly recommend watching this video when you have an hour to spare.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bradeasley For This Useful Post:

Most pre-1900 mandolins are what we call "bowl-backs," with construction derived from Renaissance lutes. They had bulbous bodies composed of a number of "staves" or "ribs" glued together, a top that was essentially flat but had a bend or "cant" across it latitudinally, a round or oval sound-hole, and a generally slightly shorter scale.

This YouTube vid compares a bowl-back, a '20's A-model Gibson with a carved top and oval sound-hole, and a modern carved-top, F-hole mandolin. It doesn't include an F-model instrument, but the body points and carved scroll that characterize F-models are (basically) ornamentation, not acoustical features -- though you can get an argument on that point from a few Cafe regulars!

Bowl-back mandolins are still built, as are flat-top, flat-back mandolins, but the "A-style" and "F-style" mandolins which I'd guess you're thinking of, both have carved, graduated tops, and either oval sound-holes, or the "f-holes" of the Ellis instrument played in the vid.

Orville Gibson is generally credited as the originator of the carved-top mandolin, derived from his belief that the violin family, all of which have carved tops, represented the ideal of musical instrument construction. His designs have become pretty much standard in the US -- not without significant exceptions -- and lead to the general vernacular of "A" and "F" mandolins. Those initials, of course, represent Gibson model designations, and don't stand for verbal descriptions (like "Artist" or "Florentine"), as some will tell you.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

9. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

How does one find “Archive?”
    There are three links in my reply to you above. Click on the bold fonts. One is for the Mandolin Archive, another is for Roger Siminoff's Orville Gibson page and the other is for the Gibson patent.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

11. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

I had downloaded this shot for another thread, but this would be one of the earliest F models made by Orville before there was a Gibson company.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	orville.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	195153  

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Hilburn For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bradeasley View Post
    Short answer, the predecessor to the Orville Gibson designs were the European bowlback mandolins.
    Here is that creepy Gibson ad showing the "modern mandolin" sweeping away the bowbacks, like one might attack an infestation of beetles. Or potato bugs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1024px-Mr_Potato_Bug_from_Cadaenza_Vol._15,_no._3_page2.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	316.1 KB 
ID:	195154
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

15. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

I really prefer A style mandolins, but I would like to have a playable bowl back. Maybe just as a wall hanger though. My belly would probably keep me from playing it.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Here is that creepy Gibson ad showing the "modern mandolin" sweeping away the bowbacks, like one might attack an infestation of beetles. Or potato bugs.
    I like that Gibson is the capitol.

... I would like to have a playable bowl back. ... My belly would probably keep me from playing it.
    There's a work-around. It involves slipping the back around so it's pretty much down, with the top level or horizontal, or, well, at the top. Yes, it's a bit odd, and involves a bit of a reach with your left arm to fret it, but it works.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Ha! Where there’s a will, there’s a way! I guess one would call it a “lap mandolin”.

19. The following members say thank you to Picking Dick for this post: