Thread: Sort of A Dumb Question

Default Sort of A Dumb Question

I have noticed that many of the Mandolin Cafe patrons list their instruments at the bottom of their messages. Is that something that you have to do each time you post, or is there a way of creating a list that automatically shows whenever you post? ...Old Dog Dave

Default Re: Sort of A Dumb Question

Nah... some of us just like to show off...

The section you are referring to is your signature. Click at the top of the page menu "Settings" then scroll down to the Settings section on the left column. Click "Edit Signature" and type whatever you want. Some folks just put clever quotes or sayings or link to their web sites or YouTube pages, etc. Just don't break the rules.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the quick response, Jim!! Much appreciated.

I think I got it. We'll see if it shows up below when I post this reply.
    Old Dog Dave: Do the best you can, as long as you can, and all the rest is gravy.

1918 Gibson A Oval hole
    2004 Gibson F9
    2004 Gibson A9
    Weber Gallatin A
    Bruhn double-point
    The Epiphone MM-30
    Dillion Electric (Rickenbacker style)

Also bear in mind that when people are reading pages while logged in, they might not see any signatures at all, if that's how they've set their *viewing* preferences. That's how my viewing preferences have always been set, less scrolling that way, when reading.

Although for people who do most of their reading while *not* logged in (me, usually - I only log in if I have something to say or want to hit the "Thanks" button), the display settings revert back to default where everyone's signatures *are* shown.

Point being, it probably really doesn't matter too much if people have signatures or not, because not everyone's going to see them anyway.

I personally don't have a signature because it would take too much mental exertion for me to decide precisely what to put there. I no longer have a long list of unusual or particularly worthy instruments, and if I did I probably wouldn't publicly post it anyway. Although I did finally (after a few years) create an avatar (account pic), but it became outdated when 2 of the pic instruments got replaced with other similar(ish) instruments (I probably should update that avatar sometime but it hasn't been a priority).

Anyway, welcome! I see you're in Olympia. Good to have more northwest mandolinists!

You can also post your real address, note in which room you store the instruments, and which days you go out to work.
    -along with a psychological profile, your favourite colors, names of ex girlfriends, boyfriends, etc.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon DS For This Useful Post: