Thread: Quick Question on Eastman Finish

Default Quick Question on Eastman Finish

I am just curious:

I am aware that Eastman makes varnished mandolins, but I read on one distributor's site that Eastman mandolins utilize a layer of varnish under their lacquer-finished mandos. Just curious if anyone knows if this is true, untrue, or was true at one time, or now... or whatever.

Thanks!

Al
    Eastman 915 B Mando
    Eastman MD-314 Mando
    Eastman MD-524 Mando
    Godin A-8 Mando
    Eastman MDO305 OM
    Eastman ER1 Mando
    TC Bouzouki TM375 Zook
    Eastman MDC-804 'Cello
    Eastman E60M
    Epiphone "Hummingbird"

Default Re: Quick Question on Eastman Finish

I have found that Eastman has been responsive to questions on their website. Might be worth trying to get an answer from them, directly.

I suspect that they may do (or have done!) different things, depending on the model and the desired final finish, both aesthetics-wise and sound and durability expectations/requirements for a price point. (I think a wee bit too much is made of the kind of finish in most mandolin considerations.)
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

3. The following members say thank you to keith.rogers for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by still_fiddlin View Post
    (I think a wee bit too much is made of the kind of finish in most mandolin considerations.)
    I agree with you on that. And thanks for the tip.
    Eastman 915 B Mando
    Eastman MD-314 Mando
    Eastman MD-524 Mando
    Godin A-8 Mando
    Eastman MDO305 OM
    Eastman ER1 Mando
    TC Bouzouki TM375 Zook
    Eastman MDC-804 'Cello
    Eastman E60M
    Epiphone "Hummingbird"

Quote Originally Posted by meow-n-dolin View Post
    I am just curious:

I am aware that Eastman makes varnished mandolins, but I read on one distributor's site that Eastman mandolins utilize a layer of varnish under their lacquer-finished mandos. Just curious if anyone knows if this is true, untrue, or was true at one time, or now... or whatever.
    I think that must be incorrect, possibly marketing mumbo jumbo. Or at best, well-intentioned wishful thinking. Under lacquer, you would only put dyes, or something that is part of the lacquer finishing system, such as a vinyl sealer as an adhesion promoter. Nothing like that would be what an instrument shopper would call "varnish" - if you're willing to go that far, nitrocellulose lacquer itself is technically a type of varnish.

I agree, the evidence suggests that the varnish applied to a mandolin, as long as it is not extremely thick to the point of being visually unappealing, has a negligible effect on mandolin tone. So buy just whichever instrument looks nice and sounds great to you.

6. The following members say thank you to Marty Jacobson for this post:

Some builders use a base coat of shellac on instruments and then spray lacquer over it. Shellac is a varnish.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

8. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

[QUOTE=I agree, the evidence suggests that the varnish applied to a mandolin, as long as it is not extremely thick to the point of being visually unappealing, has a negligible effect on mandolin tone. So buy just whichever instrument looks nice and sounds great to you.[/QUOTE]

Yeppers. I have have owned a few mandolins, from Eastman (current), Gibson, R.L. Givens, and a couple of local builders, with both kinds of finish. And, assuming the finish is well-applied, each sounded good -- or at least I have no reason to think the type of finish had much to do with the tone. Now I find that it isn't all that uncommon (thanks to Charles E for that). I have used lacquer and oils on furniture, and a tung oil/Linspeed finish on custom stocks for hunting rifles. Maybe I will try some lacquer over Linspeed. As they say, "What could possibly go wrong?"

Thanks

Al
    Eastman 915 B Mando
    Eastman MD-314 Mando
    Eastman MD-524 Mando
    Godin A-8 Mando
    Eastman MDO305 OM
    Eastman ER1 Mando
    TC Bouzouki TM375 Zook
    Eastman MDC-804 'Cello
    Eastman E60M
    Epiphone "Hummingbird"