Thread: Article: ArtistWorks Joins World's Leading Online Music Education Alliance

Blog Entries

Default Article: ArtistWorks Joins World's Leading Online Music Education

Default Re: Article: ArtistWorks Joins World's Leading Online Music Educa

Ugh. Private equity group. Get ready for higher subscription rates.

As long as they keep spamming me with offers every day, I'll be fine.

I did two courses via Artistworks. Nathan East's bass course was really bad. The guy is a world class player, but the course was just soooooo bad. The Michael Daves bluegrass vocals course had some good stuff, but was rarely updated, had a number of errors that were mentioned in the comments sections, and that were never updated, or really even responded to by ArtistWorks. In contrast, I have subscribed to numerous course at Peghead Nation and have, in general, been completely satisfied with their content.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I've used both services, and their use cases for me were slightly different. But, Truefire is incredibly affordable (not that Artistworks is overly expensive) with the major differentiator being instructor access. I've had positive results with both, but I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if it moved toward the Truefire model of a subscription giving access to all materials (if not access to instructors.)

Since companies spend money in order to make even more money, it will be interesting to see how TrueFire ends up profiting from this expense. Will they figure out how to expand membership beyond its current growth rate, or will they raise the prices for the service? 🤔

Even though I play several instruments and over the years have participated in several ArtistWorks courses —- and am likely to be tempted by the curriculum of Sierra Hull’s upcoming course —- I have no interest in paying more for full access to all of the courses, given how extensive their offerings are already. A discounted rate for a second course, though, could draw me in.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Private Equity firms facilitationalize exponential growth in targeted demographics using cloud-based solutions for a new post-reality paradigm.

Sorry, I hear "private equity firm," and my brain unravels into meaningless business jargon.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KCNelson For This Useful Post:

Hmmm. And all along I though Mike Marshall owned the company! Turns out (now that I bother to look it up) the company was founded by David Butler, a former AOL exec who got interested in music. Good old American enterprise. As a retired newspaper editor, I will tell you for free that press releases generally don't say as much as they do. For whatever that's worth. I've studied with AW a bit. I found it OK. Like all those services, they each have their own flavor. I've found Peghead to work for me a bit better, but with the advent of Zoom and so forth, there's really nothing like one-on-one. Be interesting to watch and see what it all means. Best of luck to them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArtistWorks

....Private Equity firms are in the US partly responsible for why we can't have nice things. Why didn't they just sell to Amazon?. I'm not in favor of conglomerates or multinationals....

11. The following members say thank you to Lorenzo LaRue for this post:

CarlM 

I am signed up with Mike Marshall at AW for another year so hoping nothing changes for the worse in the short term

13. The following members say thank you to DaveGinNJ for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGinNJ View Post
    I am signed up with Mike Marshall at AW for another year so hoping nothing changes for the worse in the short term
    I'm kind of wishing I extended at 40% off rather than waiting until Christmas time (when I first enrolled) for the 50% discount. Who knows, that offer could be in the rear view mirror now. Bean counters.

Joined + Alliance does not equal Aquired. At least not in my dictionary.

The first sentence of the press release says " ArtistWorks announced today that it has been acquired by Growth Catalyst Partners' portfolio company TrueFire Studios, a consortium of major online music instruction companies."

Quote Originally Posted by joh View Post
    The first sentence of the press release says " ArtistWorks announced today that it has been acquired by Growth Catalyst Partners' portfolio company TrueFire Studios, a consortium of major online music instruction companies."
    One is always a bit nervous when big changes like this occur, but I've been assured that things will stay as they are. I love the format and all the wonderful energy that all of the students put in to it. I'm constantly inspired and learning new things myself just by being so engaged with all of you personally.
    Come join us if you are curious. It's a pretty cool place
    MM

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike Marshall For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Here's some news that may or may not be the result of the merger. According to rumors and now confirmed by my contact at Artistworks:

Patricia Butler is no longer in the trenches or CEO at Artistworks. She has joined the Board of True Fire Studios. John Graves has taken over as the lead for ArtistWorks, in conjunction with TFS and Board. This plan has apparently been in works for some time.