Thread: Kentucky case covering repair

Question Superior case covering repair

howdy all,
    searched but nothing to similar to this issue.

if the pix (a bit blurred) comes thru, you will see how the superior case "fabric" has curled away from the body for 7"-8". all clean and there but kinda wavy altered. a 2013 model.

two questions:
    a) how to flatten out the curled up fabric? feels like i'd crack it if i just pushed it down. mild heat?

b) what to use to glue it back down? i saw mention of black RTV silicon in one thread. seems like there would be another good alternative or two.

thanks for the help! b
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mando tolex.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	647.3 KB 
ID:	195130  
    Last edited by mandobouy; Jul-13-2021 at 1:12am. Reason: changed title

Default Re: Superior case covering repair

ok, no answers but for posterity here is my solution in case someone else has this problem.

i put case in sun (bout 82 degrees out) for about 1.5 hrs.

the stiff, peeled up tolex/case skin softened up such that i could flatten it out w/o it cracking more.

the original glue must have been some kind of thermal glue or rubber cement because when i pushed the short "underlap" edge (from bottom side of case) down, it mostly stayed in place due to the prior glue being semi sticky. good news there, simplified things.

pressed down on the still warm "overlap" layer (from the side of the case) and kept working on it til it was pretty much flat again, lying over the underlap edge.

carefully lifted up the warm overlap skin and spread construction adhesive on the case side wall and the edge of the underside of the overlap. pressed it all down flat and kept working it for a few minutes to get it to stay flat. worked the cracks back together best i could. cleaned up squeeze out as i could. used pieces of painters tape to hold down the overlap edge til next day when i assumed it was all dry and gassed off. black marker to kinda hide the glue remnants. good enough for me, big improvement. returned mando to case. huzzah!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1050 tolex fix.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	645.3 KB 
ID:	195259  

3. The following members say thank you to mandobouy for this post:

Default Re: Kentucky case covering repair

Do you have a luggage repair shop in town? Many of them can fix your case easily for a reasonable price.

Default Re: Kentucky case covering repair

A hand hair dryer will heat the case faster than setting in the sun.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!