Thread: Can I get more JazzMando picks?

Default Can I get more JazzMando picks?

I have, from somewhere, a Jazzmando labeled pick. It says Pro Plec, USA, D'Andrea, 1.5mm on the front, and JazzMando on the back, with the outline of a mandolin.

I have a Flatiron 1N mandolin, and it *really* likes this JazzMando pick. A lot. Sounds good on other instruments, too, including another Flatiron, but this mandolin and pick really get along. I found this to be true with other mandolins, too: sometimes they just work best with a specific pick. The JazzMando pick is the big triangle I like, and 1.5 mm is close to the 1.4mm I use for other picks.

I like it enough so that I worry about losing it, and thought I would get some spares. That way I could use the pick with both Flatiron mandolins, too. Searching around, my best guess is that the JazzMando.com website made a short run of these. Anyone know where I can get some more?

Since I couldn't find any, I ordered some Pro Plec 346 picks (see photos), which are the same size and thickness. They are different, though. They have a matte sort of texture instead of polished, and they do not have any bevels on them, and all of the edges seem to be less rounded over to me. Are these the closest replacements?

The new picks do not sound as good to my ear, and I am soon to try sanding my own bevels onto them. The JazzMando pick does have a bevel, but only on one corner, which is not ideal for a pick with three corners the same. I can hear the difference when I use the "wrong" corner. It doesn't sound bad, just not as rich.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JazzMando Back.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	777.9 KB 
ID:	195137Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ProPlec Front.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	650.7 KB 
ID:	195138

Default Re: Can I get more JazzMando picks?

Maybe Ted still has some he can send you.

I will look through my picks and see if I still have some. If so I will PM you.

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My signature picks were simply the standard 346 D’Andrea Proplec with a gold ink logo stamped on the other side. I think I sold through several dozen gross over about 8 years. I don’t know why the new Proplecs are any different, although I always felt having ink on both sides gave me a better grip.
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ted Eschliman For This Useful Post:

Resident Hack

I got them off Amazon, a while back
    https://www.amazon.com/DAndrea-PRO-3.../dp/B000EEJFN0
    If you like those, the similar color version of the "clown barf" picks everyone was talking about might be up your alley. It's my current go-to
    https://www.stringsbymail.com/golden...ick-16087.html
    What I play
    2021 Skip Kelley Two-Point
    Eastwood 'Ricky'
    Morgan Monroe RT-1E
    Epiphone Genesis guitars
    Various Basses

Thanks, everyone. I guess this actually was a stealth "wanted to buy," but I didn't think about that at the time. But a couple of people have offered me a few, so thanks to them especially.

I was also quite interested in whether other people found combinations of mandolins that really like certain picks, but didn't ask about that. I have a Gibson A that doesn't really seem to like a Blue Chip, but is fine with a Wegen and Dunlop Primetone.

I think there are clear expectations that different thicknesses and shapes matter, and everyone has a preference, but I figured that was mostly between the pick and the player, not the pick and the mandolin. This mandolin and pick seem to be soulmates - and since at some point this mandolin will continue it's journey, the pick has to go with it.

Ted, thanks for the info. I agree the stamped logo on both sides is better for grip, and really like the polished surface better. So I guess this means the Pro Plecs have changed over time. The new ones, as I said above, are not as polished, and have no bevel, which is a big difference. Looking closely, the Pro Plec logo on the new one is also smaller than on the Jazzmando version.

Now, because I am interested, I got out my calipers. The new Pro Plec seemed a little thinner. However, the new Pro Plec measured out at 1.58mm, compared to 1.66MM for the JazzMando pick. Maybe both of those are in spec for a 1.5mm pick? I usually play 1.4mm, and I didn't think I could tell the difference in 0.1mm, but maybe I can. Flat side to point, the new Pro Plec measures 31.4mm, and the old one about 30.0mm. The difference there could be the edge treatment, as the JazzMando has relieved edges and the bevel on one point. The D'andrea website says the Pro Plec 346 should be 33mm.
    Last edited by A 4; Jul-14-2021 at 8:20am.

Agree that little variations can make big differences in tone and feel. My favorites remain my Bluechips and Wegens, and I rotate them depending on my mood and how bright or dark I want my tone. I’ve been playing around with some acrylics of late (great feel, but a little too bright for my taste most of the time), and I also ordered a few 1.3 mm Clown Barfs from Banjo Ben just for fun. When I get home this weekend I’ll try to remember to A-B them with my Jazzmando pick and report back (no promises though, lol). None of my current mandos have picks they just pair better with, but there are a few that just don’t agree…

That said, I’ve been playing a Martin 00-17 and a spruce/hog Guild D40 a lot of late, so am used to that more focused hog tone. I recently got my FIL’s late 70s Alvarez Yairi D-28 copy back from a set up, and had forgotten how much more overtone it had. Too much with BC or Wegen, but just right with Clown Barf. Clowns usually freak me out. Who knew???

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You might also try the JazzMando V-pick. They come in clear and blue and have a hand-polished bevel.
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

You might ask abou the Traveling Pick Samplers starting up again, or look at the lists and see what you haven't tried, pretty long lists (there were 2 samplers circulating)

And yes, bevelling/pointier points makes a big difference in tone/attack etc tho I've mostly spent my time modifying finger and thumbpicks rathers than flatpicks.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...erested/page36
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

Blog Entries

The JazzMando Pro Plec is still my favorite.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

12. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

Ted was kind enough to include a Few when i first started mando, and bought some tomastiks from him. And a key fob pick holder!

Tomastiks were 27 bucks a set then.
    Loved the picks, and still think theyre a top product.
    His jazzmando site was a great help in my dawg wanna be quest.
    Thanks ted.
    I still have my jazzmando picks, one with a very faded logo.

I've noticed some weird inconsistencies with the Pro Plec. One of the last batches I bought quickly warped and contoured around by thumb.

Thanks, everyone. Speaking of Jazzmando and picks, this information on the importance of picks is good: http://jazzmando.com/tips/archives/000718.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by Paulmazz View Post
    I've noticed some weird inconsistencies with the Pro Plec. One of the last batches I bought quickly warped and contoured around by thumb.
    Same here - I've ordered two batches of Pro Plecs from different retailers and both came with a fair share of warped picks. Luckily not all were warped and they are cheap enough it wasn't too big a deal to throw some away..

I ordered some Jazzmando strings about 15 yrs ago when I started mandolin. There was a Jazzmando pick in the order and I've been using that pick off and on since then (the logo has long since been rubbed off). I don't see how it would be humanly possible to wear one of these out. Great picks!

Definitely different. I would also be interested in acquiring some. Mine are getting worn down.

Same as Caleb. Ted also sent me one with a Jazzmando string order. From memory, they were more or less the same as the Dawg picks I once bought and never got on with.