Thread: Case for L&H?

Default Case for L&H?

I have a Lyon & Healy Style B, long scale. It came with its original case, which is extremely cool but not at all protective—no insulation, no padding. I would love to find a contemporary, good quality, hard-shell case that will fit. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Case for L&H?

When I got my L&H A the original case was falling apart. I ordered a Calton; it's compact, protective and insulating. It's also sorta heavy, relative to the wooden type.

When I got my first good guitar, back in the 1960s, I ordered a Mark Leaf case for it that was half the price of the instrument (300/150). The insulation and hermetic sealing were of value to me because of the ugly summer climate in DC. Still have both; case does its job, though my present environment is far more controlled and pleasant.

Calton will make a case to your exact measurements, and you'll have no worries about the preservation of your instrument. A case that is accurately fitted to the instrument is far more protective than one in which the instrument can rattle about within.

No doubt there are many other options, but I'm pleased with my solution.

3. The following members say thank you to Bob A for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Louise NM View Post
    I have a Lyon & Healy Style B, long scale. It came with its original case, which is extremely cool but not at all protective—no insulation, no padding. I would love to find a contemporary, good quality, hard-shell case that will fit. Any suggestions?
    Ask Tim Logan about the Calton for his Lyon & Healy: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...-Healy-model-A
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

5. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Thanks, gentlemen. One of my others came in a Calton. It's gorgeous and solid, but I'm hoping to find something a little lighter, both in weight and the pocketbook. Bobelock's fiberglass cases look like they might fit.

Hm. I have a Bobelock Arrow fiberglass case that I know for sure won't fit a Style A. Haven't tried it with a B or C ... I have a C at the moment but it's short scale.

The old Eastman F style fiberglass cases are a wonderful fit for some Style A's ... but I recently had a Style A that would not fit in an Eastman case no matter how hard I tried.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

8. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

What on the A doesn't fit?

If it’s a symmetric, long-scale A and the only problem is the length of the scroll, it could be my lucky day.

What on the A doesn't fit?

If it’s a symmetric, long-scale A and the only problem is the length of the scroll, it could be my lucky day.
    Are you asking about the Bobelock case or the Eastman case?

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Sorry, I was thinking of the fiberglass Bobelock. I don't see that Eastman is offering cases any longer. Am I wrong?

Sorry, I was thinking of the fiberglass Bobelock. I don't see that Eastman is offering cases any longer. Am I wrong?
    Correct. This is the Eastman case I'm talking about, but they are available only secondhand now: https://www.folkmusician.com/product...in-case-silver

I just sold my Style C, but I'll check its fit in the Bobelock case before I ship it out, and let you know if I gain any useful insights.

13. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

An older TKL rectangular archtop case with F style body cavity fits a L&H style C quite well, but the offset point on a style A doesn't fit the body cavity - it forces the mando over at an angle. It's not a Calton, but those cases are pretty decent and can be found without spending a fortune. Possibly the points on a B would fit better than the offset style A point, or would fit a TKL with an A style body cavity.

-> Update: I tried a Weber Bighorn in the TKL F case and the symmetrical points fit it quite nicely.
    Last edited by Alfons; Jul-16-2021 at 12:23am.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/175517#175517
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

In addition to Calton, Main Street, Pegasus and Hiscox all offer nice cases. Main Street and Pegasus will do custom.

Interesting option, Pheffernan—thanks.

Larrereeves, I looked a the website for Pegasus, and they look quite nice. Couldn't find any info on the price range, though.

Blog Entries

Louise, so far I am quite happy with a Gator case for my L&H. I would want something more substantial if I were going to do a lot of travelling with it. While not as ironclad as the upper end cases, it is very light, much better than any gig bag, and hopefully less attractive-looking to a mandosnatcher. Fits the L&H pretty well, too.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

All my upper end mandolins are in TKL cases and they are just fine for me. Certainly protective and none of the mandolins rattle around.

However: the problem with L&H mandolins is not the scroll on the A model but the proportion. I have both scale length L&H A models and the accessory pocket in the TKL doesn't allow the mandolin to lie completely flat within the case. The longer scale is better but it is still not perfect. I have original cases for both with a Small Dg cover for the short scale (the one I play more). Of course, these days case covers are also hard to find.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have ordered a Bobelock fiberglass case. Judging from the measurements they provide it should fit. If not, I have an F-style that could use a new case and it will surely fit. Jim, what you are describing is exactly the problem with most cases. The neck support in the Bobelock is much shorter, which makes me hopeful it will work. I'll report back!

It fits like it was custom-made for it. I don't think an asymmetrical Style A would fit, but any Bs or Cs will, and the early As, with the symmetrical points, just might. There is room for a longer headstock, but I don't know exactly how much extra length the scroll on the Style A adds. At under $200 for a case and cover, I'm well pleased.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210905_144855.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	458.1 KB 
ID:	196140

Very cool. It does look like the treble point on the asymmetrical A would be in the way. Otherwise a nice case and good to know. I am fine with TKLs and similar but this looks good for the less common shapes.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

yeah, I have tried putting a Style A in a Bobelock Arrow case and no dice. Glad to know the Style B fits.