Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Andy Statman Bought A Loar F5!

Default Re: Andy Statman Bought A Loar F5!

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Gordon View Post
    This thread made me put on Old Brooklyn, which for some reason I hadn't heard for ages. Ten years since its release.
    I was surprised to see that the recently sadly deceased Byrone Berline was on it.

Mighty stuff. I can't understand why it's been so long.
    Indeed Dagger, I'm about to listen to that album too after too long. It's such an eclectic mix of great music which presumably reflects the city and Andy's experiences growing up there. He is such an amazing musician, and completely seems to follow his instincts rather than fashions/trends.

Looking forward to hearing him play his Loar

Mr. Statman always brings it!

Does anybody know which Loar he originally sold?

Teacher, repair person

I don't know, but I sincerely hope that he leaves the pickguard on his current one.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rcc56 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I'm sure Andy knows what Loar he got rid of! Probably a few "other" folks as well! I don't know but man if any player deserves a Loar its Andy. After listening to players like him I feel unworthy of what I have! Sure I have fun with my fine instruments and I play the way I do but I have respect for anyone who gives it a go to be a "Pro-picker" Its a lot of "Traveling for a little bit of pay" Stressful to some!

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    I don't know, but I sincerely hope that he leaves the pickguard on his current one.
    Nope! Andy is not a pick-guard kind of guy...

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glassweb View Post
    Nope! Andy is not a pick-guard kind of guy...
    So sad to hear.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Monroe never used a pickguard... neither Bush, Thile, Skaggs, Wakefield, Osborne, Hull, Grisman, (for many years) Marshall, Reischman, etc. and so on...

Andy is and always has been very much his own man...
    Last edited by Glassweb; Jul-20-2021 at 2:46am.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

All this brouhaha about a pickguard stems from the look of that black A model. It's pretty rough, all right. And it would be a shame if that kind of wear were to be visited upon an F5 - really, any instrument, but especially such a fine one. But if it's not his style, and particularly if it were to cramp his style - can't have that - then no pickguard it must be, and we will hope for the best. Ultimately, it's up to him, not the rest of us, unless someone wants to stage an intervention. And even then ...
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glassweb View Post
    Monroe never used a pickguard... neither Bush, Thile, Skaggs, Wakefield, Osborne, Hull, Grisman, (for many years) Marshall, Reischman, etc. and so on...

Andy is and always has been very much his own man...
    I suppose if Dad buys you your first Loar and you feel like you can sell it to go camping you're starting out in a different league of privilege....a nice head start to being your 'own man' as the case may be.

The way you treat your possessions may be a reflection of that. And fodder for the hagiographies

Don't recall seeing the tops of any of those folks' instruments scraped off. Though Bobby Osborne had a little wear and tear. Beaucoup photos of FW playing with his pickguard on, of course. I suppose it would be fair to consider BM, CT, RS, FW, BO, SH, DG as all being their own man or woman, too.

None of my business of course. I guess if Statman trashes his Loar he can always go buy another one, right?

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

11. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    None of my business of course.
    Yup.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

13. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Registered User mandolin breeze's Avatar

I suppose if Dad buys you your first Loar and you feel like you can sell it to go camping you're starting out in a different league of privilege....a nice head start to being your 'own man' as the case may be.

The way you treat your possessions may be a reflection of that. And fodder for the hagiographies

Don't recall seeing the tops of any of those folks' instruments scraped off. Though Bobby Osborne had a little wear and tear. Beaucoup photos of FW playing with his pickguard on, of course. I suppose it would be fair to consider BM, CT, RS, FW, BO, SH, DG as all being their own man or woman, too.

None of my business of course. I guess if Statman trashes his Loar he can always go buy another one, right?

Mick
    I think I've had enough internet for the day..
    Mandolinist for Henhouse Prowlers and Westbound Situation

https://www.youtube.com/c/JakeHoward

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jake Howard For This Useful Post:

Well, Wakefield reportedly baked his Loar in an oven, hoping to improve its sound. Monroe went after his with a pocket knife, excising the Gibson logo from the headstock, dissatisfied with Gibson's repair work on it.

What individual owners choose to do with their instruments is very much their choice. I just had my main guitar, a "mongrel" Martin 00-28G/00-42 conversion, thoroughly gone over after 15 years of non-stop gigging with it, and was quite surprised at the visible "mileage" I'd put on it. I think Statman's A-2(z) is an extreme example -- though not up to Willie Nelson's "Trigger" -- but all that pick wear came from amazing music it's produced.

We who covet and envy Lloyd Loar F-5's may shudder a bit when a Loar owner takes off the pickguard, and subsequently scratches up the finish. We're not reassured when someone points out that we could pay extra for a new "distressed" model F-5, paying a premium so the factor can add "wear" that we'd gladly provide for free. But a top-line mandolin that's survived a century of use, and still is "mint," is by far the exception.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by mandolin breeze View Post
    yep...

Not to mention Mike Marshall completed his own bootleg Virzi-ectomy. I hope Andy puts lots of new wear on the top of that mandolin.

Statman got a Loar! Good for him, I hope he enjoys it & continues to make great music with it.
    I am personally disappointed I never got to hear him play his Snakehead live. I’m a vintage Gibson oval lover & owner of a black Snakehead myself. I dug that a heavy player used one so effectively. I’ve seen him a number of times in Chicago & New York, but he had moved on to Kimbles & others by then. Nothing wrong with that, I missed my opportunity.
    For the record, I don’t have anywhere near the wear on mine. Also, I did put the pickguard (finger rest) back on. I now prefer it that way.
    If Andy wants to stop by for a lesson, I’ll work to improve his technique to avoid any damage to the top.*
    Joe B

*please no snarky comments, it’s a joke.
    A Splendid Time is Guaranteed for All

Blog Entries

No snarky comments? Is you forgot where you is?

Actually, I do think some have. This isn't facebook, ya know, where it's customary to just open one's mouth and let fly regardless of consideration or consequence. This started as a congratulatory thread, people expressing their appreciation of the matching of master and mandolin, and somehow took a turn toward judgmental jibes. I say, let the man play. He deserves his day.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

The extra "real-estate" and access to the upper reaches of the mandolin neck are a main reason that Andy switched to an F-style mandolin.

However, when you think about the amazing virtuosity and body of work that he created on his A2-... well, so much for limitations!

When I think about what Giovanni Gioviale (thanks Dawg!) did on an old, round back mandolin or what Elisa Meyer achieves on her Brazilian, Portuguese-inspired bandolim... what can you say?

Doesn't seem to have limited them in any way...

This isn't really fair. First, lots of mandolin players have wear and tear on the tops of their instruments. Look up pics of Ricky Skagg's Loar and see the wear around the top of the lower soundhole.

Second, it's my impression (and happy to be corrected) that as late as the 60's that a Loar was not "OMG A LOAR" but "an old Gibson," more or less. I recall going to Bean Blossom when I was in college- so this would have been mid 80's- and seeing older F model Gibson at the Osborne Brothers table that Bobby was selling for something like $5K, if I remember correctly. Have no idea if it was a Loar, but it was probably 20's or early 30's.

My point is only that even in the late 60's a middle-class family could probably scrape together a few thousand dollars for a quality musical instrument if it's what their child needs for a profession, especially if said child isn't going to college and requiring tuition.

I don't think great privilege what's going on here but rather a lot of the stories we hear about musicians from the South are stories of rising up from real poverty.

I could be wrong about all of this, of course. I mean, who didn't do something stupid and shortsighted as a teenager?

Mick

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

When did a master craftsman adding honest play wear through the use of a tool for its intended purpose become considered “trashing?”
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pheffernan For This Useful Post:

It's also real important to retain it's original fretboard on it too; playing out of tune forever is a small price to pay for "Originality...."
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

I was windowshopping for that Lloyd Loar at Larry Wexer Ltd. often. Andy Statman deserves the best mandolin he can get.

I first noticed Andy Statman on "Peter Rowan & The Red Hot Pickers". Listen to the mandolin break on "Oh Susanna" and weep. The clarity, the tone, the structure, the timing... Itīs perfection. Also Andy Statmanīs performance on "Tone Poets" blew me away. I must admit that I do not care too much for his "crazy" music. But the musicianship ... it is just wonderful.

Do I like to take care of my instruments. Yes. My beat up wonderful Strad-O-Lin looks just like it did when it came to me all these many years ago. And my new pricey mandolin looks pretty much the same as it did... oh more than a decade ago. Was i aggravated when someone I know (good musician by the way, or I would not have let him handle it) scratched up the back of my wonderful old guitar some? Yes... as it did not happen to me. Did a candlestick fell on the top of my first guitar once and cause a dent? Yes, it was my fault and that tought me to take better care of my instruments.

Do I play with a pickguard? Yes (one mandolin) and no (the other).
    Olaf

Blog Entries

Probably belaboring the point - that's rarely enough of a deterrent - but here's a look at the damage to my mandolin. Obviously, pickguard on the mandola, and it's staying. No pickguard on the mandolin, and as you can see, some scraping right where it's expected. The closeups don't quite do it justice, and it's in the shop, so I can't take another pic. But the scrapes are down to the wood - that's a row of white lines, with the wood showing through. But you know what? I love them, dearly. They are the reason I own this wonderful instrument, this lovely loudmouth, this banjo killer - because no one else was bidding on her, presumably scared off by this superficial damage. One other person hung in, but dropped out early on, and I got her at a good price. I've been careful not to add to that damage, but I'm grateful it's there.

Perspective, people. It's all about perspective.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mandola - Mandolin 01.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	878.1 KB 
ID:	195298 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mandola - Mandolin 01 - CU.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	723.6 KB 
ID:	195299 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mandola - Mandolin 01 - ECU.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	195300

Quote Originally Posted by lgibjones View Post
    Mr. Statman always brings it!

Does anybody know which Loar he originally sold?
    #75320, of that coveted, non-Virzi Feb. 18th '24 batch.

Hendrik

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hendrik Ahrend For This Useful Post:

For what it's worth, the Kimble F5 that Andy has been playing previously looks pretty well cared for. I think it's fair to consider that the A was also played during periods of road time and Andy's "younger" days, and was already used to begin with. I think we can all look back and find instruments that could easily be sporting some serious wear, or that we could have taken better care of, or avoided mishaps.
    I know a couple of fiddlers who literally (unintentionally) destroyed expensive old violins...