Thread: Epiphone MM-30S vs. Gewa mandolins

Default Epiphone MM-30S vs. Gewa mandolins

Hello! I am looking into buying my first mandolin, and I can choose between three (it's a voucher thing, I physically can't buy another one than those)

I can choose between the Epiphone MM-30S : https://www.epiphone.com/Guitar/EPI8...tique-Sunburst
    The Gewa mandolin A-1 select :
    https://gb.gewamusic.com/product/183...-1-select.html
    And the Gewa flat mandolin pro arte model 1:
    https://gb.gewamusic.com/product/183...e-mod-le1.html

In your opinion, which one would be the best? (Again, this is a voucher, so the price itself doesn't make a difference to me)

Default Re: Epiphone MM-30S vs. Gewa mandolins

I'd go with the Epiphone. I have one as a backup, so I'm familiar with it. It has a solid spruce top while the Gewa (never heard of the brand) A style has a spruce top, which probably means plywood. The Epiphone company is owned by Gibson and it can be set up to play nicely and will probably need setup- but any mandolin in this price range will need setup. If you are into Classical or Italian music and not Bluegrass/Old time/folk the Gewa flat top is solid spruce but I have no idea what it sounds like

Thank you for your opinion! It's probably a stupid question, but what's stopping me from playing bluegrass on the flat top? I like both (and would eventually like to play both anyways). Also, bit unrelated, but is it possible/advisable to remove the pickguard from the Epiphone?

Not a stupid question. You can play anything on any mandolin, but the flat top will probably need lighter strings and you will not get the percussive chop sound that is the hallmark of Bluegrass backup. I took the pick guard off the Epiphone...it's just held on by two screws. Do a YouTube search on flat top mandolins and you will see examples and comparisons to help you make your choice. Also that flat top looks like it has a banjo bridge and is non adjustable. The Epiphone has an adjustable bridge so you can dial in your action height.

Thank you so much, this is really helpful!

I would probably concur with the recommendation of the Epiphone; it has a solid top, heat-pressed and not carved (carved is better), and an otherwise standard laminated body. Like the Gewa A-1, it's Asian-made. Epiphone used to be a separate company, then Gibson bought the company and the trademark; now it's just a label Gibson puts on instruments they import from Asia.

The Gewa A-1 is also Asian-made, but it's all plywood, which is not as good as having at least a solid top.

The Gewa flat mandolin is "European" (probably Romanian) made, and is made of all solid woods, a plus. It's described as "Portuguese," which refers to its general shape and construction. It also has a shorter scale -- a bit easier to get around on, but not really significant.

The one area where your "voucher" purchase might be significant, is that the Epiphone lists a case as "optional," meaning you'd probably have to pay extra for it. You get a case with the Gewa A-1, apparently. I'd guess you would want to have a case to keep your mandolin in -- as well as, possibly, a strap and an electronic tuner.

When you're beginning, the most important consideration is that the mandolin's properly set up and playable. Since location and height of the bridge are adjustable, at least on the Epiphone and Gewa A-1 (the Gewa Pro Arte's bridge can't be height adjusted, but it also is "floating" [moveable], held in place by string tension), it would help if you had an experienced person to check on your set-up.

Really doesn't make a huge amount of difference which mandolin you get to learn on, as long as it's well set up. Based on specs, I'd probably get the Epiphone, though I would want to see about a case.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

About 20 years ago I found a MM30 blk at a local music store marked "Blem" for 95 dollars and was new. At the time I was doing a lot traveling with my job so it became my hotel instrument. With simple gig bag it saw a lot of use and I didn't have to baby it. Held up real well and I still have. Mine Had a little Gibson name plate truss rod cover. I believe Gibson owned the name but didn't make the instrument. So IMHO it would make a nice beginner instrument and then you'll have a good back up to boot.
    Ratliff R5 2007, Capek A5 2003, Washburn M5S-SB Jethro Burns 1982, Mid-Mo M-2, Epiphone MM 30 Bk mandolins, Harmony Batwing 1970's, George Bauer bowlback early 1900's Philadelphia.

"Don't cloud the issue with facts!" Groucho Marx