Thread: One that got away

Default One that got away

Man, I didn't know about this auction and it was right in my back yard. Of course it was a week or so after I got out of the hospital, but still. Missed out on some good stuff!

https://bid.mbaauction.com/lots/view...-mandolin-1919
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: One that got away

The L & H, the 1960 D-28 [if the finish was original], and a couple of the Fender cases were a bargain.
    Otherwise, nothing to lose sleep over.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I don't know much about these mandolins, so I don't know if that was a good deal, in terms of both value and price. But it does look very nice, and going for half or less of the estimate, with not much bidding, I could see how it might have been one that got away.

But what's this about hospital? Everything all right? Maybe this isn't the place for that; just concerned. Hope all is well.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    The L & H, the 1960 D-28 [if the finish was original], and a couple of the Fender cases were a bargain.
    Otherwise, nothing to lose sleep over.
    Yeah, I was surprised to see that the A Junior snakehead and the Harmony Batwing electric went for close to market value (when you add the buyer's fee), but the L&H, even with buyer's fee and taxes, would have been a pretty good deal. There were also a couple of things from local builders that were of some personal interest, since I knew one of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    But what's this about hospital? Everything all right? Maybe this isn't the place for that; just concerned. Hope all is well.
    Was laid up for three days with sepsis. Never sharing a Mason jar with a banjo player again.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrmando For This Useful Post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Was laid up for three days with sepsis. Never sharing a Mason jar with a banjo player again.
    "Again?" Man, you are living on the edge. Well, I hope at least some of the jamming was good.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Judging from the headstock I'd say this Style C is later than its listed date of 1919. (April 15, 1919 is the patent date on the lyre tailpiece and the later of the two patent dates found on the instrument, so that may be where the date comes from. A Style C actually made in 1919 would probably have the "stairstep" headstock; one from 1921 would have the "art deco" headstock. This one has the "mustache" headstock, the third and last design for Style B and C mandolins, so it could be as late as 1925, meaning it would have the shorter 13" scale.