Thread: Nugget Tailpiece on Flat-Top

Default Nugget Tailpiece on Flat-Top

I was just changing strings on my flat-top and noticing how quickly it goes since I put a Nugget (by Northfield) tailpiece on this mandolin. I thought I'd give a quick post on this tailpiece in case others are interested.

A while back, Cafe regular Pheffernan suggested I try a Nugget tailpiece on my flat-top builds (Thanks Patrick!). I did just that and absolutely love this tailpiece. The look is utilitarian rather than decorative, but I strive for a very unadorned beauty on my instruments, so this really fits. Also, they are small, so don't look over-sized on a diminutive instrument, which mine are.

This is absolutely the easiest TP for changing strings I have tried, and I have had a number of good TPs. The pins are right there on top and there is nothing to thread through. Also, a harmonic dampener is built in.

The quality of manufacture is first-rate, too. Kudos to Nugget for design and Northfield for manufacture.

I hope this information is helpful to those considering a TP change. I'll answer questions if anyone has any.

Best wishes,

Bob
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210716_110931_resized.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	573.0 KB 
ID:	195185
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Clark For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Nugget Tailpiece on Flat-Top

That's a nice looking tailpiece. Looks good on there, Bob.

4. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

What kind of bridge is that -- a Red Henry? Something else? What's the saddle made of?

I put a Nugget tailpiece on my Skip Kelley F5 to replace a cast Allen. I definitely liked the difference for string changing and I think it's a nice look too.
    On my Northfield it has the Gilchrist design also made by NF which I also like a lot. Both great choices.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

The longer afterlength also seems to add a bit more harmonic complexity and overtones if unmuted.
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by rickbella View Post
    What kind of bridge is that -- a Red Henry? Something else? What's the saddle made of?
    Hi Rick,

I make my own bridges. They are loosely based on Red Henry designs but are not the same as his designs, and I am still experimenting. This mandolin is my 'Franken-mandolin' on which I have tried a bunch of changes including several different bridges. I like this bridge although it could be a bit thinner. This one has a bone saddle, but not all have had bone.

Do those little string windings dig into your arm? The Price tailpiece had that problem--I had lots of shirts with frayed sleeves from that.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    Do those little string windings dig into your arm? The Price tailpiece had that problem--I had lots of shirts with frayed sleeves from that.
    Hi Don,

Nope, not at all. In fact, it never dawned on me that it could be a problem but now that you mention it, I can see how that could happen. Perhaps the difference could have to do with the the shape of the particular instrument. Mine are shaped a little different than most. I'll give it some thought, but I am glad that's not a problem on mine! Thanks for pointing it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Clark View Post
    Hi Rick,

I make my own bridges. They are loosely based on Red Henry designs but are not the same as his designs, and I am still experimenting. This mandolin is my 'Franken-mandolin' on which I have tried a bunch of changes including several different bridges. I like this bridge although it could be a bit thinner. This one has a bone saddle, but not all have had bone.
    Cool. I had my own Franken-mandolin years ago -- basically an eight-string laboratory. I think that's a great way to learn. Good luck with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    So, Lincoln freed the slaves, and Price frayed the sleeves? Interesting...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

“ Do those little string windings dig into your arm? The Price tailpiece had that problem--I had lots of shirts with frayed sleeves from that.”

Don, that tailpiece trashed several wool sweaters of mine and a few other long sleeve shirts, too. Love the simplistic design, though. I don’t think Nugget is using these on his current builds but I sure could be mistaken. Maybe so if he is still building the Junior’s, though???

What I would do is still use the rubber grommets meant for muting the ringing behind the bridge and push them all the way down to the tailpiece. That usually did a good job of hiding the sharp edge of the windings. I also tried to pay attention when installing new strings to point that sharp edge down when possible.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Egerton View Post
    What I would do is still use the rubber grommets meant for muting the ringing behind the bridge and push them all the way down to the tailpiece. That usually did a good job of hiding the sharp edge of the windings. I also tried to pay attention when installing new strings to point that sharp edge down when possible.
    Good idea, Drew. I've been thinking about this issue since the sleeve postings came up (well, not non-stop, on and off) and realized that I always roll up my shirt sleeves slightly when playing. If it's cool in the room, I wear a sweater vest rather than a sweater with sleeves.

I think the reason sleeve damage has never happened to me may simply be that I never have sleeves down where the instrument is. Funny I never noticed that before. Live and learn, I guess.