Thread: Practice with a Mirror

Default Practice with a Mirror

I’m pretty sure this is NOT an original idea, but since I can’t remember it being shared here, I (somehow) quite belatedly realized that practicing in front of a mirror can result in at least two ways to improve your playing- not looking directly at your keyboard can free you up to be quite a bit more attentive and tuned in to other players-
    Plus watching yourself not only gives you important feedback about your own posture, fretting positions, etc
    ( might as well remind you that your facial expression and your body position and movement are quite worth paying attention to and adding to your general practice regimen)-
    Y’know?(I mean-if you want to be a Legend in Your Own Mind, at least try to Look the Part)😎

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jethromondawg For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Practice with a Mirror

Yes, practicing in front of a mirror is a great way to see whether or not you're using good technique. Filming yourself playing is another great way to be able to go back over your playing, though the downside of that is if you're affected by "red light" syndrome then there may be an additional element of tension in your playing that is not normally present when you don't feel the pressure of being recorded.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

4. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

I use my web cam for this, basically FaceTime myself. Works great.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill McCall For This Useful Post:

I used to do this all the time after getting this as a tip from a picker that I admired. Also, Larry Rice said he used to practice in the bathroom due to the acoustics. So, I incorporated both ideas and practiced in the bathroom looking in the mirror.

8. The following members say thank you to Skip Kelley for this post:

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

I stare at the ceiling when I practice. Mary Spender talks about practicing in a dark room with the light off & door closed so she can't "cheat" and look at her hands.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

10. The following members say thank you to Dan in NH for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in NH View Post
    I stare at the ceiling when I practice. Mary Spender talks about practicing in a dark room with the light off & door closed so she can't "cheat" and look at her hands.
    I think that approach would be fine if the player is fairly confident that they've got a very good grasp of technique and the mechanics of playing and are more looking to learn to play fluently without relying on the need for any visual cues, but might backfire on a novice player who doesn't have optimal technique as they won't be able to see what they're left and right hand are doing, which in my opinion is something that needs to occur early on in your playing, otherwise you can end up picking up bad habits, such as lifting your fretting fingers too high off the fretboard between notes, which impedes speed and accuracy.
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jill McAuley For This Useful Post:

I remember The late great John McGann talking about this and how he used mirror practicing to correct some physical issues (holding correctly, flying fingers) you of course have to realize if you are doing it wrong, so to Jim McAuley's s point, you should probably only do it if someone experienced can correct you rather than you correcting yourself.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

14. The following members say thank you to tmsweeney for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by tmsweeney View Post
    I remember The late great John McGann talking about this and how he used mirror practicing to correct some physical issues (holding correctly, flying fingers) you of course have to realize if you are doing it wrong, so to Jim McAuley's s point, you should probably only do it if someone experienced can correct you rather than you correcting yourself.
    Yes, great point that if you don't know what to look for then you won't see it - so let me add to my initial comment that once a player has had the benefit of someone with experienced eyes pointing out aspects of their right or left hand technique that need work, then it can be beneficial to practice in front of a mirror to monitor yourself and make sure you're not falling back into old habits.

Cheers,
    Jill, not Jim
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

16. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    Yes, great point that if you don't know what to look for then you won't see it - so let me add to my initial comment that once a player has had the benefit of someone with experienced eyes pointing out aspects of their right or left hand technique that need work, then it can be beneficial to practice in front of a mirror to monitor yourself and make sure you're not falling back into old habits.

Cheers,
    Jill, not Jim

apologies Jill, in all honesty I have 8 brothers and sisters and don't always get the names correct.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

19. The following members say thank you to tmsweeney for this post:

If you elect to practice with an external device, stick to a metronome. If you master that, nobody will care how you look.
    You can't get there from here.

Bathroom, full-length mirror, fully clothed. Best acoustics and an audience. It’s an eye-opener.

Quote Originally Posted by DPrager View Post
    If you elect to practice with an external device, stick to a metronome. If you master that, nobody will care how you look.
    Practicing in front of a mirror has nowt to do with being concerned about "how you look" and everything to do with being able to see what your right and left hands are doing and ensure that you're using best practices as far as playing mechanics, economy of motion etc. goes. Many times when people complain about finding it difficult to develop speed in their playing they're advised to play along to a metronome but that advice neglects to also consider that poor playing technique, such as lifting fingers too high off the fretboard, holding the mandolin in a position that increases tension, or excessive pick travel when playing single notes, can all conspire to make a player stumble whenever they attempt to play faster.
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jill McAuley For This Useful Post:

But the original poster said:

Plus watching yourself not only gives you important feedback about your own posture, fretting positions, etc
    ( might as well remind you that your facial expression and your body position and movement are quite worth paying attention to and adding to your general practice regimen)-
    You can't get there from here.

Quote Originally Posted by jethromondawg View Post
    I’m pretty sure this is NOT an original idea, but since I can’t remember it being shared here, I (somehow) quite belatedly realized that practicing in front of a mirror can result in at least two ways to improve your playing- not looking directly at your keyboard can free you up to be quite a bit more attentive and tuned in to other players-
    Y’know?(I mean-if you want to be a Legend in Your Own Mind, at least try to Look the Part)😎
    But I'm so darned pretty, I'd only be looking at my face, not my fingers.

2023 Northfield Big Mon
    2022 Hinde Heritage MF-71
    2020 Tyler White #23
    2007 Lafferty Deluxe NF5 built by Audey Ratliff
    2005 Heiden Artist F
    2003 Gibson Adam Steffey #41
    2001 Apitius Grand Classic

Quote Originally Posted by DPrager View Post
    But the original poster said:

And? I reckon most people use a mirror to check on their playing technique, and a metronome won't show you aspects of your playing technique that need improvement - what the OP says in their statement doesn't somehow nullify that. If they're also using one to see how they look when playing sure they're not harming anyone.
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Not such great technique ! but if you can find vids from this angle (no mirroring) then it can help.

https://youtu.be/Z9wjV07Z2kc

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I've tried this just a few times, but found it rather disconcerting. Then I taped a photo of Sam Bush's head on the mirror at my head's level, and my enjoyment of the experience improved immensely.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Regarding Jill’s earlier point about “red light syndrome”: being a beginner with the only exposure to an audience of any kind being my teacher during on line lessons, I have found video recording of my practice has helped to tone down the bit of performance anxiety I still get before a lesson. It’s a kind of exposure therapy.

30. The following members say thank you to Ed McGarrigle for this post:

One short addition: playing while not looking at the keyboard gives one the experience of listening exclusively to the quality of the sound you’re producing- so you might get something useful and meaningful from How It Sounds without the distraction of How It Looks -Maddie Witler (Lonely Heartstrings mandolinist) presented this in a workshop at Joe Val a few years ago

In thew 1970s I was trying to get into a hot band as a mandolin/guitar player. All members were multi-instrumentalists and all played bass. I was asked, "You play upright bass?", to which I lied, "Of course I do!". I borrowed a bass and bought a cheap full-length mirror. Then I went out and studied other bass players, noting the physical attitude of the best sounding players, went home and got in the mirror with the bass and replicated the physicality. That plus the sub-rudimental workings of the bass I possessed got me the gig...and learned how to really play on the gig...
    too many strings