Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Amazing Nugget F5 at Carter's!

Default Amazing Nugget F5 at Carter's!

I don't know what it sounds like, but from a purely aesthetic point of view this mandolin looks like perfection!

Now if only I knew how to post a link...

2. The following members say thank you to Glassweb for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Re: Amazing Nugget F5 at Carter's!

Quote Originally Posted by Glassweb View Post
    Now if only I knew how to post a link...
    https://cartervintage.com/collection...nugget-f5-2009

Easy on the eyes, hard on the wallet.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pheffernan For This Useful Post:

Perfection, indeed. Scroll carvers should study that one.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

6. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

It’s a great looking mandolin. Yet it is vastly overpriced in today’s market. If it sounds as good as it looks 20 K is a proper price. Look at today’s Gilchrist and Dudenbostel prices. We are talking about a used mandolin market. I would like to see a video of it.
    Olaf

Mike has a thing about perfection.

9. The following members say thank you to Jim Hilburn for this post:

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hilburn View Post
    Mike has a thing about perfection.
    I played one of yours in Brighton at TAMCO, Brighton, UK. It was a long time back. Yet I remember it fondly.
    Olaf

Mike was always my main inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by grassrootphilosopher View Post
    It’s a great looking mandolin. Yet it is vastly overpriced in today’s market. If it sounds as good as it looks 20 K is a proper price. Look at today’s Gilchrist and Dudenbostel prices. We are talking about a used mandolin market. I would like to see a video of it.
    Mike's mandolins are in a league of their own. This is a deluxe model. i bet that mandolin moves at very close to the list price at Carters. One thing, I wonder if those Waverly's are replacements? I don't know if Mike ever used Waverly's on his mandolins.

13. The following members say thank you to KMaynard for this post:

Well, you can price shop, but where else would you find one for sale?
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Well, you can price shop, but where else would you find one for sale?
    exactly. I think this one will sell quickly, even at this price. might even be gone today...

the term "collectible instrument" is thrown around like rice at a wedding. this is what I'd call a truly rare and collectible instrument... a really exquisite example.

great work Mike!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glassweb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by KMaynard View Post
    Mike's mandolins are in a league of their own. This is a deluxe model. i bet that mandolin moves at very close to the list price at Carters. One thing, I wonder if those Waverly's are replacements? I don't know if Mike ever used Waverly's on his mandolins.
    I think Mike must use Waverly tuners from time to time as my A style came with them and they are original as far as I can tell. I'd love to know what the serial number is for this Nugget. It was built the same year as mine and I've always wanted to know what kind of mandolin its closest sibling is...I've met the mandolin two numbers away...but I am really curious to know if this was on the bench at the same time!
    Last edited by HarrisonMandolin; Jul-18-2021 at 12:48am. Reason: more content

Since I play every instrument I own there is no point for me, personally, in spending for that degree of meticulous craftsmanship on the decorative features. The transitions in the intersecting binding contours, for instance, are phenomenally and beautifully done -- wonderful sculpture -- but as wear and usage marks detract from that aspect, it's just not something that makes sense for me to do. When things become too valuable to play -- and the word really is "play" -- then they enter into another realm and it's not one I care to enter. Yes, I know that the same care is exercised on the sonic function, but the paxckage price incldes an awful lot of trim and finish. I completely understand that other people with other values would go for this, and that's great. It's a phenomenal work of craft and art; I think it's excessive.

It’s a beauty.

It’s a mandolin. Buy it, use it. If it were a violin, at that level of craftsmanship, it would be double or triple that price and no one would blink an eye.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    It’s a mandolin. Buy it, use it.
    I absolutely would —- if the nut width had one more 32nd of an inch and the price had one less zero.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus CA View Post
    I absolutely would —- if the nut width had one more 32nd of an inch and the price had one less zero.
    After twenty-five years of buying and selling mandolins, I can say, unequivocally that every instrument has to be evaluated on its own merits. I am still kicking myself over Sanderson's A5 Jr a few weeks back.

25. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

I agree completely! In my comment, I didn’t mean to imply this mandolin isn’t worth the asking price. I just meant that no matter how incredible the Nugget is, I really don’t like playing mandolins with a narrow fretboard, and I’ve never even paid $7000 for any instrument, let alone $27,000. I haven’t even paid $27K for a car —- which wouldn’t last as long as a mandolin, and would cost more to maintain and repair.

I’d add that that evaluation is also an individual experience to a great extent. Is this Nugget worth $8K more than the 2005 Gilchrist or $16K more than the 2012 Ellis that also are at Carter’s? If one person with a large enough bankroll thinks so, then Carter’s and the seller win, regardless of how many other players disagree.

And I am still kicking myself over a used 2016 Apitius F5 a few years back.
    Last edited by Marcus CA; Jul-19-2021 at 1:14pm.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Personally, I think the Nugget at $27,500 and the Gilchrist at $16,000 and the Ellis $11,500 each well worth their asking price—maybe the latter two are even underpriced! But then I believe generally that the very best instruments are worth more than the money it takes to buy them.

Mike has never built instruments in high volume, yet his instruments have always been high in demand. For a fascinating interview with Nugget himself check out the latest Mandolins and Beer podcast.

The asking price at Carter's may seem high, but this is a very deluxe treatment by one of the world's most esteemed mandolin builders who turns out very few instruments with long wait times. The quoted asking price does not seem unreasonable to me at all as this is probably what a new Nugget of this build quality would cost...

Quote Originally Posted by Glassweb View Post
    Mike has never built instruments in high volume, yet his instruments have always been high in demand. For a fascinating interview with Nugget himself check out the latest Mandolins and Beer podcast.

The asking price at Carter's may seem high, but this is a very deluxe treatment by one of the world's most esteemed mandolin builders who turns out very few instruments with long wait times. The quoted asking price does not seem unreasonable to me at all as this is probably what a new Nugget of this build quality would cost...
    It does look like a lovely instrument and is a piece of art. But can you please explain what the deluxe treatment was? How does it differ from his other F-5's? Serious question, not being facetious. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    It does look like a lovely instrument and is a piece of art. But can you please explain what the deluxe treatment was? How does it differ from his other F-5's? Serious question, not being facetious. Thanks.
    Mike K would know better than I, but I have a feeling that ornate headstock inlay might be an upgrade and perhaps the one-piece back as well. Actually I have no idea!

I know he also makes a "no-frills" F5 (I believe Gil and Dude do as well) so that would certainly make this "deluxe". Just speculatin'...

Would love to hear how she sounds!

Pic for posterity.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	173698.jpg 
Views:	391 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	195282
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don Grieser For This Useful Post:

Kinda funny but I compare this to those who collect stamps or coins. If, and that's a big if, I had 25K to spend on a once in a lifetime mandolin or say a rare coin well this instrument looks a real bargain. Whereas a coin collector might think this isn't worth much of anything. To me a penny, no matter how rare will never be more than 1 cent in value. Like works of art (paintings, sculpture, etc) I admittedly don't appreciate an acknowledged masterpiece vs my grandkids paint by number. But the real value is in the eyes and ears of the beholder.
    I'm a big believer in fair market value. If you've made a instrument that the market says is worth 25K then good for you! Nothing wrong with being rewarded with striving for excellence.
    Ratliff R5 2007, Capek A5 2003, Washburn M5S-SB Jethro Burns 1982, Mid-Mo M-2, Epiphone MM 30 Bk mandolins, Harmony Batwing 1970's, George Bauer bowlback early 1900's Philadelphia.

"Don't cloud the issue with facts!" Groucho Marx

“Kinda funny but I compare this to those who collect stamps or coins”—yeah if this Nugget was a stamp it would be up there with The Inverted Jenny, at least if it was a left-handed build!

That Nugget looks awesome. A way I sometimes think about these and similar listings is:

Could a loar really be 5X better?! I doubt it. Or, I could get the Nugget and a cabin in the woods to play it at for the price of a loar!

Z
    Member since 2003!

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mingusb1 For This Useful Post: