Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Amazing Nugget F5 at Carter's!

Default Re: Amazing Nugget F5 at Carter's!

My husband is an antique radio collector. The knobs on a Zenith Stratosphere go for around what that Nugget is listed for. A good repro set is around $8k. Many of these radios were "destroyed", despite their original price tags (Pre-WWII) of over $700. I have seen quite a few cabinets from these that were made into bars by the well intentioned. A cabinet in original condition might be around $25k.

I once watched a man buy a transistor radio for $24k......it was originally given to Michael Todd (yes, the one that was married to Liz Taylor) by Henry Miller. That was about twenty years ago. I cannot imagine what it would go for now.

Perspective is both enlightening and frightening, all at the same time.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

2. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Guilty.

I bought a Zenith Stratosphere in 1984 as a college freshman at Goodwill for $15 in good working condition. Brought it home, threw all of the old tubes & junk in the trash, and made a liquor cabinet out of it even though I was not legally old enough to drink.....
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

How does it sound?

I'm sure Condino's liquor cabinet sounds great... after a few.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmagill For This Useful Post:

Seems Carter's hasn't been doing as many video's during Covid so there's no Youtube's I'm aware of but my guess is they didn't come up with that number because it's pretty.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Hilburn For This Useful Post:

In my previous post I meant how does the Nugget sound? It's strikingly beautiful...as always by Mike. Looks aside, isn't sound/tone what it's all about?

Yeah, it would be great if Carter’s put up a video. Although sometimes there’s a lot of cross-noise in their showroom. Tone, looks, & feel—they all go into the price of an instrument I think. Particularly “responsiveness” in the best instruments—how it reacts to the player. That’s something the rest of the folks in the room won’t perceive, but it can be a huge thing.

11. The following members say thank you to Richard Mott for this post:

Lucas 

The best sounding Nugget I’ve ever heard or played resides in eastern Kansas and it IMO is one of the finest mandolins out there. I’ve heard it played on many, many occasions and funny thing is, I have no recollection what the headstock inlay looks like…I just remember the tone! It’s a dandy.
    Last edited by Jim Roberts; Jul-21-2021 at 1:11am.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Roberts For This Useful Post:

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

IŽd like to go on record that I am mainly interested in the discussion about the instrument's aesthetics, sound and feel. My comment about the price was purely a coincidental quick impulse post and may certainly be debatable (Dudenbostel prices are down some, just as used Gilchrist prices and as we all know Lloyd Loar prices...).

I had the pleasure to listen (and pick along to it in a jam session) to an early Nugget F-5 (that was for sale at Carter's some time ago). While I liked the sound I would like some comments from those more in the know as to how a Nugget compares soundwise and other to other top shelf mandolins (like Dudenbostel, Monteleone and Gilchrist for example).

IŽd also like to know if anyone has/had first hand experience (tryout or other) with this specific instrument and what the impressions are/were.

No, I am not contemplating a purchase. I am just curious.
    Olaf

I might be tossed out for this comment(first let me state, I am a long time fan of Nugget's and a previous owner, would like another someday) whew...anyway, some Nugget's just sound better than others. I know, that isn't an earth shattering statement. My .02 would be that the very best Nugget's sound as good if not better than most mandos on the planet but some not so much...just my .02( I would also personally put Ruhland in that top shelf builder list. He is also the most consistent builder I have seen in my 62 years).
    I will retreat into my "panic room", now..

Quote Originally Posted by Old Growth View Post
    I might be tossed out for this comment(first let me state, I am a long time fan of Nugget's and a previous owner, would like another someday) whew...anyway, some Nugget's just sound better than others. I know, that isn't an earth shattering statement. My .02 would be that the very best Nugget's sound as good if not better than most mandos on the planet but some not so much...just my .02( I would also personally put Ruhland in that top shelf builder list. He is also the most consistent builder I have seen in my 62 years).
    I will retreat into my "panic room", now..
    No need to hide. I think that this can be said about most builder/brands. Some are just AAA+.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

https://www.mandozine.com/media/CGOW/baldassari.html “ My 1984 Nugget on the other hand was incredibly loud from day one, but doesn't have a whole lot in the TONE category, and is definitely harder to record.”

A real beauty...a video is in order.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Jordan View Post
    https://www.mandozine.com/media/CGOW/baldassari.html “ My 1984 Nugget on the other hand was incredibly loud from day one, but doesn't have a whole lot in the TONE category, and is definitely harder to record.”
    Don Stiernberg sure gets amazing tone out of his two-point Nugget…

As do Tim O’Brien, Joe Walsh, Jake Howard, and many others.
    Last edited by Russ Jordan; Jul-21-2021 at 10:09pm.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave_W For This Useful Post:

I wish I hadn’t seen that

24. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mott View Post
    Personally, I think the Nugget at $27,500 and the Gilchrist at $16,000 and the Ellis $11,500 each well worth their asking price—maybe the latter two are even underpriced! But then I believe generally that the very best instruments are worth more than the money it takes to buy them.
    Three weeks later, all three are still listed on Carter’s website. If any of those stunning mandolins were underpriced, I would expect them to be gone by now.

It will be interesting to see if that video moves the instrument. I listened to it through earbuds, and it certainly captured a top-tier instrument, with a nice woody but clear low end and crystalline trebles. I bet the mando has a booming chop, too.

What a great time to visit Carter’s with the desire to upgrade your mandolin and a $30K checking account! Nugget and Monteleone and Gilchrist and Henderson and Ellis, oh my! That would be such a fun, interesting, and educational side-by-side. For $27,500, someone could buy that Nugget or “settle for” the Henderson or Ellis, snag the Kimble mandola, and still have $7,500 for a nice guitar. Personally, I might succumb to that 10-string Monteleone instead. Always fun to think about, but moot points one and all. For my playing and financial levels, my mandolins suit me just fine, so I’ll just continue to enjoy reading everyone’s stories and commentary.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

26. The following members say thank you to Marcus CA for this post:

Wow, the video. What clarity in that mandolin!

Blog Entries

What a great sounding Nugget! I only wish he would've went all around the neck so we could get a quick judgement on the balance and power well also tone up the neck but I'm sure its tops as it has "IT" in the first position. Is it wrong I want that thing-I sure don't need it and well can't afford it anyway as I'm a trader! Thats how I get my keepers anyway. Thats a special F-5, no doubt about it! I imagine Mike K. has only built what maybe 60 instruments? I've only ever played one Nugget and that was Ray Legere's old 86 A-5 he won at Winfield! And that is one fine A model!

Thats around the # of say Paganoni mandolins.

I think Mike is nearing 325 instruments of which I would guess 90% are mandolin family.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KMaynard For This Useful Post:

I wasn’t familiar with Ross Holmes and see that he plays in the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. Here he is at Carter’s on an older Gil:
    Russ Jordan

32. The following members say thank you to Russ Jordan for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Jordan View Post
    I wasn’t familiar with Ross Holmes and see that he plays in the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. Here he is at Carter’s on an older Gil:
    Ross is a killer fiddler and mandolin picker. His sister plays and sings for Asleep at the Wheel. Much talent in that family!

34. The following members say thank you to Mark Seale for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Seale View Post
    Ross is a killer fiddler and mandolin picker. His sister plays and sings for Asleep at the Wheel. Much talent in that family!
    I saw Asleep at the Wheel String Band just before the shutdown. His sister is very talented! Thanks for that info
    Russ Jordan

Blog Entries

Sold.