Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nice Looking F4 at Music Folk

Default Re: Nice Looking F4 at Music Folk

Quote Originally Posted by MandoMan1 View Post
    The waiting part is difficult. A few years back I wasn't home from work when UPS delivered a mandolin I bought, so the mandolin went back on the brown truck. I knew the mandolin would be going back to the local distribution center, so I drove to the local distribution center and waited for the driver to arrive so I could get the mandolin that day.

Lol I wasn't going to wait for the mandolin to be delivered. I wanted it that day.
    I always specify "hold at depot" - when it's ready, I'll come and get it. It's usually travelled around the world to get that far. Not risking a courier van to stuff things up in the final scene....

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Just when I thought I was out ... they pull me back in
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

Ah - Elvis has left the building. In fact, in the same minute that I posted the previous message. So it is what it is.

Don't worry - Be happy. I'll try that.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

Well, she arrived, and she survived. Perhaps more importantly, I survived. The waiting was getting to me, for sure. Then I got into watching this little map showing the progress of the truck and package, which was fascinating and frustrating. It was here, then there, then heading my way, then taking a turn - it got to be a bit much. So I snuck in forty winks, and when I awoke, the tracking map was gone. I took a little look outside, just to see what I would see ... and just then the truck drove by, turned around, and came back. What timing!

But enough about that. She's a fine-looking instrument, all right, and even sounds good. Has nickel wound strings on, so that's got to get changed. But I took her for a little spin, and she did right well. It occurred to me that now that I have this fine instrument to play, I'll have no excuses for not making the best music I can, as it will all be on me now. And that's just fine. One wants to be the best one can be, so one uses the best tool(s) one can, with the best skills one can muster. Now it's up to me. And I'm up for it.

Oh, I've decided to restore the name Mandy Lynn for her. It's been long overdue to bring that back. Yes, it's short for Amanda Lynn.

5. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Congratulations. I know you are one happy guy! Enjoy that Gibson F-4!

7. The following members say thank you to MandoMan1 for this post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2a536435c4ad14be22f142fa5ec8b0b1.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	195391

Blog Entries

I've been easing into playing her; she's sounding better all the time. I'm not used to playing an instrument of this quality. I'm a bit reserved, but I'm getting more comfortable the more I play. The plain A's, I'm used to giving them a good hard ride, and they respond quite well. I'm really hesitant to push this one. Going to have to, though, if she's going to become my main instrument. Well, main acoustic instrument. Not bringing her to a bar, nor installing an endpin jack. It's a bit of a responsibility, owning a fine instrument like this. Takes some getting used to. Which I plan to do.

10. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    I've been easing into playing her; she's sounding better all the time. I'm not used to playing an instrument of this quality. I'm a bit reserved, but I'm getting more comfortable the more I play. The plain A's, I'm used to giving them a good hard ride, and they respond quite well. I'm really hesitant to push this one. Going to have to, though, if she's going to become my main instrument. Well, main acoustic instrument. Not bringing her to a bar, nor installing an endpin jack. It's a bit of a responsibility, owning a fine instrument like this. Takes some getting used to. Which I plan to do.
    Sounds like it has a worthy caretaker!

It was quite different for me moving from my plain-Jane A to my F4. The F4 have more bulk/weight to them, having solid wood filling the scroll and the points. My A was light as a feather, and rang like a bell with light gauge strings. My F4 needs medium strings and a firmer attack when playing, but the rewards are there.

Sadly I had to sell my A well in advance of receiving my F4. I would have liked to have played them side by side, but I had to sell the A to get the F.

12. The following members say thank you to Bazz Jass for this post:

Play those nickel strings to death for a while and then restring the instrument and I hope you will get a major lift when you first start playing with the strings of your choice. I'm glad it has all worked out- it looked like a great instrument and it sounds like it really is one, so you must be ecstatic.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz Jass View Post
    My A was light as a feather, and rang like a bell with light gauge strings. My F4 needs medium strings and a firmer attack when playing, but the rewards are there.
    I hear you. Right now my A still sounds better to my ears, with those D'Addario J 74s. And this is the spare; the better one is in the shop. Time will tell, as will a string change. My quarterly is due in a couple weeks, but I just might move that up. Why wait?

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    Play those nickel strings to death for a while and then restring the instrument and I hope you will get a major lift when you first start playing with the strings of your choice. I'm glad it has all worked out- it looked like a great instrument and it sounds like it really is one, so you must be ecstatic.
    I'm pretty darn happy, for sure; not quite ecstatic. But a string change might get me there. I think I'm going to switch these strings over to the electric, which missed its turn at new strings last quarter, and put J74s on the F4. Then all should be right with the world.

I gave these strings a go last string change - I find phosphor bronze dulls really quickly for me. I have to say, after 2 months they still sound and look new:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XSM1140.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	195413

Blog Entries

I actually prefer the sound of phosphor bronze strings once the newness wears off a bit. They're a bit brash at first.

Not long ago another brand got touted a good bit - DR. I've been loyal to D'Addario for almost 50 years, but I've got to do all I can for the F4 to sound her best. Well, not going as far as Thomastik.

17. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Someone needs to invent a coated string where the coating is applied just after the initial brightness dulls slightly. That would be perfect!

Blog Entries

Like pre-faded or distressed jeans

20. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Congratulations on a beautiful F-4 JB! I have never played a 20's F-4 with a trussrod only ones from the teens. They certainly have a certain mojo about them. How does the neck on your F-4 compare to the F-2's and F-4's from the teens? Is it less of a "baseball bat"?
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

22. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Great story!

24. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    Congratulations on a beautiful F-4 JB! I have never played a 20's F-4 with a trussrod only ones from the teens. They certainly have a certain mojo about them. How does the neck on your F-4 compare to the F-2's and F-4's from the teens? Is it less of a "baseball bat"?
    Thanks, Charlie. I can't really answer that. I've only ever played one other before, which is Dave Reiner's, and I can't remember whether it was an F-4 or F-2, nor its vintage. It was not a baseball bat, though. Neither is this. She feels real comfortable, plays real smooth, like silk, like butter, like buttery silk, but without the greasiness. I'm going over to my duo partner's for a practice, and will surprise her with this. First time playing with anyone else. We'll see how it goes.

26. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

JourneyBear! Congratulations on the acquisition. There are few instruments more satisfying than the F-4 mandolin. Beautiful to hold and behold, and of course to play!
    Ha, ha! keep time: how sour sweet music is,
    When time is broke and no proportion kept!
    --William Shakespeare

Blog Entries

Thanks! I'm getting more comfortable with her, being careful not to do any damage but not so timid as to leave the notes within rather than bring them out. I've been practicing up my Italian mandolin repertoire for an upcoming gig, half on the F-4, half on the A. I'll be doing the gig on the A, but it's fun playing these pieces on the F-4. She makes them sound so nice.

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Thanks! I'm getting more comfortable with her, being careful not to do any damage but not so timid as to leave the notes within rather than bring them out. I've been practicing up my Italian mandolin repertoire for an upcoming gig, half on the F-4, half on the A. I'll be doing the gig on the A, but it's fun playing these pieces on the F-4. She makes them sound so nice.
    Back when I was still playing in public (pre-covid) I always used my A-1. It is louder than my F-4, but the F-4 has a better sound for playing to myself. The A-1 could fill a room with sound, but the F-4 fills my heart with music.
    Ha, ha! keep time: how sour sweet music is,
    When time is broke and no proportion kept!
    --William Shakespeare

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jack Roberts For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Roberts View Post
    Back when I was still playing in public (pre-covid) I always used my A-1. It is louder than my F-4, but the F-4 has a better sound for playing to myself. The A-1 could fill a room with sound, but the F-4 fills my heart with music.
    Perfectly stated! When I first got my F4, after having an A-0 for a year, I think I expected the F4 to sound the like A on steroids. With the weight of expectation, I admit to feeling underwhelmed when the F4 was quieter.

It was really spending time alone in a quiet room that I discovered what the F4 was trying to say - not in a rowdy jam session or crowded room.

I'd best describe discovering the sound of the F4 as going from the city to the forest and hearing the birds sing.