Thread: Washburn M6SW Opinions (early 2000s)

Default Washburn M6SW Opinions (early 2000s)

As I am new to this mando world, I am curious about an instrument I saw for sale; Washburn M6SW from the early 2000s. Is anyone familiar? How was sound? Looks nice, but that can easily fool you until the first strum. Thanks for any insight.
    ---
    Tony

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Washburn M6SW Opinions (early 2000s)

Quality control on Washburn instruments has been quite inconsistent over the past 20 years or so. Their instruments from the 80's and 90's were a bit better, but not necessarily great. If you're looking for a modestly priced import, you might be better off with Eastman or Kentucky.

I don't know anything about Washburn instruments but I think Troy Grady is playing one (Andy Wood interview, great video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh0He941q0k
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

Here's a 2010 thread on the M6SW. Lotsa pro and con. The specs on the mandolin, in Washburn's "Jethro Burns" series, are pretty impressive: carved solid woods, etc. It's a discontinued model, apparently.

However, there are several anecdotal posts, mentioning Washburn's unreliable quality control. Hope you get to "try before you buy."
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

5. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

TonyC 

Teacher, repair person

I'll mention this: My friendly neighborhood music store signed on as a Washburn dealer somewhere around 2015. After receiving 2 shipments from them, he immediately cancelled his dealership and returned all but one or two of the instruments because they had too many problems and were unsaleable. A couple of years ago, he gave them one more try, with worse results-- he returned every one of the instruments.

A 2000 model might be ok, but you would be taking a risk. I will not recommend a more recent issue Washburn to anyone under any circumstances.

7. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

TonyC