Thread: L’Italia dei 1000 Mandolini London in English w/Ita subtitles

Blog Entries

Default L’Italia dei 1000 Mandolini London in English w/Ita subtitles

From Carlo Aonzo. Just released it says:

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Default Re: L’Italia dei 1000 Mandolini London in English w/Ita subtitles

Thanks for sharing this Scott and molte grazie Carlo! I thought this was an incredibly well put together film which certainly captivated me.

I got into the mando through folk music, so interesting to hear about its broader history. I was aware that mandolin orchestras were popular in the US around the dawn of the 20th century, but wasn't aware that the same was true in the Uk.

PS, on Carlo's youtube channel, there is also an interview with Paul Sparks who is featured in the film that was originally shared. He has written about the history of the mandolin. Here's the video:

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Cowham For This Useful Post:

What a treat! It is good to hear Carlo's take on the history of the mandolin in the UK. The video of Carlo's interview with Paul Sparks is also very informative on the social history of how the mandolin was taken up in Britain, in particular the way that 'ladies mandolin orchestras' developed to provide a respectable musical outlet for middle class women playing suitably ladylike instruments (Neapolitan mandolin) in late Victorian times.
    It is a short video and they cover the 1960s+ pop/ rock band take-up of mandolin pretty well, including a mention of the important early role of Fairport Convention although they fail to namecheck Dave Swarbrick, who drove the Fairport sound on fiddle and mandolin at that time. Swarbrick does not get the credit he deserves as a mandolin pioneer for the British Isles folk scene.
    Anglocelt
    mainly Irish & Scottish but open to all dance-oriented melodic music.
    Mandos: Gibson A2, Janish A5, Krishot F5, Taran Springwell, Shippey, Weber Elite A5; TM and OM by Dave Gregory, J E Dallas, Tobin & Davidson.

Quote Originally Posted by Anglocelt View Post
    Swarbrick does not get the credit he deserves as a mandolin pioneer for the British Isles folk scene.
    I'll second that. And I might not be playing mandolin at all if not for Peter Knights turn on "The Brides Favorite"! (Steeleye Span-Below the Salt - 1972)
    Thanks Carlo, for everything mandolin-ish!
    Gan Ainm
    AKA Colin, Athens GA and Nelson Co. VA when I can