Thread: Harsh amplified tone

Default Harsh amplified tone

I recently played in a managed open mic session where there was no opportunity to adjust my tone. Playing through a preamp, I could adjust levels/volume but couldn’t fix the bright harsh brassy output. I wonder if I could have “softened” the tone with a different pick; I was using a BC 40 TPR on j74 phosphor bronze strings.

Thoughts?
    Girouard A
    Silverangel A
    Eastman 615

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Harsh amplified tone

A lot pf people hereabouts put a lot of store into the differences between picks. I'm not one of them. I've been using the same Dunlop 1.5mm standard issue pick deemed dead after one night's play by its previous owner I think 4-5 years ago. I think there are much more important factors here, none of which you've mentioned - make and model of instrument, type of pickup, brand of pre-amp, brand of amp or PA - though if it's a shared PA, that might be less critical. Personally, I find reverb cures a multitude of problems - softens the tone as well as adds sustain. Also, adjusting the EQ, especially trimming the highs and maybe the mid-range, should help.

I'm guessing you're using some sort of piezo pickup on an acoustic mandolin, judging from the string choice and the list of instruments in your signature. These strings could be a bit brash, though just on the wound strings. I actually boost the lows a bit to get more of a growl - I'm the main lead instrument in two bands, so I want to cut through. That may not be what you want. If this situation is something you want to focus on, perhaps nickel wound strings would be better. But I'd try working with the electronic side of your sound first.

Good luck!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

3. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

When you play an open mic you're at the mercy of whoever is running sound. They are typically set for guitars, which are usually going to be flattop dreads, built and braced completely differently(as well as being tuned an octave lower) than a mandolin. You can't expect them to run through a full sound check for each player.

What you can do is take more control over your own sound with a preamp that mounts at your waist and has low, mid and high freq pots (as well as a volume pot) like a Baggs GigPro or K&K Pure. You'll need an additional short 1/4" phone jack cable to go from your mandolin ouput jack to the input of the preamp.

Set everything at mid level to start, then adjust as necessary for the house system/sound person.

5. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ulse-ir-loader

I've recently got into the Impulse Response thing with this IR Loader.
    Not creating the specific files for my instruments (I'm to lazy for that), but trying out the many existing files on-line.
    Works beautifully and simple to use.

Lot's of pro's and con's here but if your looking to kill the peizo sound this does it.

For my amplified sound I tend to use a Boss GE-7 graphic equaliser.

Simple to use. Usually I roll the top frequency right back, which gets rid of quite a lot of the harshness in my experience. You can experiment with different settings. It can make a big difference.

I doubt if a different pick would help much, to be honest. Best to have the pick you're familiar with.
    David A. Gordon

8. The following members say thank you to Dagger Gordon for this post:

Blog Entries

In my experience, amp'ed or even well-mic'ed mandolin requires much more attention to volume and tone -sensitive pick angle in order to duplicate acoustic tone without being too loud. Similarly, playing acoustically -- no amp and no mic -- like in a jam with banjos and other loud instruments requires more aggressive pick angle on order to be heard; sometimes in fact tone becomes less important than volume, unfortunately.

For me, it's a real kick realizing how much control something as subtle as pick angle -- by itself -- produces.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

10. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

Thanks for the responses. I guess it’s time to play out more often and work with your suggestions. One challenge is plugging in and having scant time to tinker with the controls.
    Girouard A
    Silverangel A
    Eastman 615

Dave Sheets

Either a pre-amp or a graphic eq pedal will help a lot.

You do need to practice with them though to learn how to use them quickly. Do you know anybody who owns a PA who would let you practice adjusting eq for a bit? So you can figure out rapidly how what you are hearing relates to the controls on your pedal? If you can play through somebodies PA a bit and get used to the process a bit that will help greatly.

A good sound person makes all the difference playing through a PA, knowing how to fix things on the fly is only the next best option.

I use a Boss AD10 floor pedal for mando, guitar and banjo. The audio quality is not equal to the premium pedals, but it has a tuner and a bunch of other features that help playing through less than ideal PAs, with just one box to plug in. It's not equal to a good mike, but it's fast to set up and reliable. I can get an acceptable sound quickly in situations where the PA isn't great and there isn't a good soundperson around.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

If you have an amp, PA, or stereo system you can plug into at home, tweak the settings there to your satisfaction. Then when you're out playing somewhere, anywhere, you can just hand the sound guy your cord and feel confident it's going to be at least close. I freed myself from sound guys and their druthers long ago by doing this. I found a setting on my gear - including EQ and reverb - so I could tell the guy, "Just run it dry, no EQ." So liberating!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

What is your set up for pickup and pre amp?