Thread: Loar 600 vs Eastman MD615

Default Loar 600 vs Eastman MD615

I am searching for my first mandolin and have spent a lot of time researching and playing a few. I am an older guy who wants to get something with a rich sound (for a mandolin) since I plan to be playing and keeping it. I would really appreciate some opinions on the 2 listed above or any other that should get my attention at the ~$1000 price tag. I am starting out, but I can also share that as an owner of a James Goodall guitar, and I am clearly aware of sound differences between better instruments. I played an Eastman MD815 today and thought it was great, but it is getting outside of my range. I care about sound more than looks. I've read good things about the Loar600 which has a lower price tag, but the MD615 has a nice sound. I welcome opinions. Thank you.

Default Re: Loar 600 vs Eastman MD615

There’s an Eastman 815/V (used - not mine!) in the classifieds that is priced less than a new MD615. Might be worth a look!

I think many around here would choose an Eastman over “The Loar” branded models.

The current MD615 is similar to the MD515 except for the built-in pickup and block inlays on the fingerboard, from what I’ve read, so you might include the 515 in your search.

I bought an MD615 as my first (and only...so far) Mandolin earlier this year. It has good volume and tone to my ear. Getting used to the cramped fingerboard and bullet shaped neck is my biggest challenge. Sure made me stop complaining about the 1-11/16" nuts on my Martin and PRS! Not sure if the Loar is any wider or flatter. I paid well over $1000 for it (The Mandolin Store) though.

I didn't see the 815 in the Classifieds. I will check out the 515s as well since it is slightly stripped down. I am hoping to find more places in MA that sell mandolins in order play more. The few I played yesterday showed clear differences. Thanks for sharing a little more about brand comparisons as well. These are the areas that my experience (or lack of) can't help.

Quote Originally Posted by M19 View Post
    I bought an MD615 as my first (and only...so far) Mandolin earlier this year. It has good volume and tone to my ear. Getting used to the cramped fingerboard and bullet shaped neck is my biggest challenge. Sure made me stop complaining about the 1-11/16" nuts on my Martin and PRS! Not sure if the Loar is any wider or flatter. I paid well over $1000 for it (The Mandolin Store) though.
    I really appreciate the many videos on The Mandolin Store, and may also buy something from them. The videos at least offer some comparison, and some great playing as well. Thanks for sharing.

TMS is selling the 600 blem and the 700 blem for below your price point.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

Quote Originally Posted by J Mangio View Post
    TMS is selling the 600 blem and the 700 blem for below your price point.
    They are also an Eastman dealer so would be good to give them a call an explain what you are looking for and get their recommendation.

8. The following members say thank you to Northwest Steve for this post:

TonyC 

No one had said it yet, but if o was spending $1,000 I’d look at Astyle. A Kentucky A900 is s better sounding mandolin. IMHO, than either you mentioned, just don’t have the strap hanger

Playing on the porch

I am also an older guy, who decided to switch from the violin to the mandolin a bit more than four years ago. I bought an Eastman 515 in the price range you prefer. I care much more about sound than looks, but it is also a good looking instrument. For that kind of money, I thinnk it is a very good choice. Enjoy the hunt!
    ---
    2021 Ellis F5 Special #564 mandolin
    1928 Roth violin
    2016 Eastman MD515 mandolin
    1907 Foltz violin

A little less than your budget but I recently got my first mandolin, an MW0 from Big Muddy Mandolin. I like locally made instruments, and Mike Dulak was extremely easy to work with, made up my mandolin and shipped it right over to Texas with coffee mug & coffee lol. http://bigmuddymandolin.com
    ---
    Bruce
    Fairview, TX

2021 Big Muddy MW-0 #3130 Engelmann Spruce / Walnut
    2022 Mia Mandolin F-Style "Rose & Dove" Spruce / Maple
    2018 Weber Gallatin A-14F Sitka Spruce / Maple
    Instagram

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bwnunnally For This Useful Post:

gtani7TonyC 

The 615 has electronics... if you don't want/need those, you could look at the Eastman 515 which is closer to $1k. They should sound similar. I recently got a 515/V and I am *very* happy with the sound.
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

Quote Originally Posted by bwnunnally View Post
    A little less than your budget but I recently got my first mandolin, an MW0 from Big Muddy Mandolin. I like locally made instruments, and Mike Dulak was extremely easy to work with, made up my mandolin and shipped it right over to Texas with coffee mug & coffee lol. http://bigmuddymandolin.com
    I was literally just reading about these before I read your reply. I am unfamiliar, but there was one listed on Craigslist locally and I was researching. I am curious about the tone. I see there is an M4 (listed here) and the M2 I mentioned above. I would appreciate your opinion and findings as you investigated these. Thanks.
    ---
    Tony

Flat top mandolins can be amazing instruments and values, for every genre except bluegrass. I used to own a Flatiron 1N that was a loud tone machine, but they just don’t have the arch top F-hole projection needed for the traditional bluegrass chop. Flatiron, Big Muddy, Redline traveler, Crystal Forest, Sawchyn, and Morris are making some nice flat tops right now. If you don’t need the percussive chop in a jam or band setting, they can be a less expensive entry into truly professional quality mandolins.

Can you play BG on them? Absolutely, but they get lost in a full jam/band setting, barring amplification, of course. There was a time when my 1N was clearly my best mandolin, and I played it at home much more than my Kentucky 675-S, but, for jams, the Kentucky got the nod.

Good luck in the search! I agree with the advice to call TMS and seek their opinion/advice. Dennis has always been very open and more than a fair in our previous dealings. He’ll evaluate their stock and steer you in the right direction.
    Chuck

16. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

gtani7 

Quote Originally Posted by TonyC View Post
    I was literally just reading about these before I read your reply. I am unfamiliar, but there was one listed on Craigslist locally and I was researching. I am curious about the tone. I see there is an M4 (listed here) and the M2 I mentioned above. I would appreciate your opinion and findings as you investigated these. Thanks.
    ---
    Tony
    Video here
    ---
    Bruce
    Fairview, TX

2021 Big Muddy MW-0 #3130 Engelmann Spruce / Walnut
    2022 Mia Mandolin F-Style "Rose & Dove" Spruce / Maple
    2018 Weber Gallatin A-14F Sitka Spruce / Maple
    Instagram

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bwnunnally For This Useful Post:

gtani7TonyC 

Smile Re: Loar 600 vs Eastman MD615

Well...my Mid Missouri M4 arrived today and it is amazing! I bought it used from Classifieds and it is beautiful sounding and has a pickup. Very different from my friend's Eastman 605, but once I got used to it, I fell in love. Such a lovely sound and so inspiring. Thanks to so many for freely sharing and inspiring me. However, I now know exactly how it is possible to own several different mandolins. Thanks again everyone.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210728_221931.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	374.3 KB 
ID:	195464
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210728_150618.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	545.2 KB 
ID:	195465

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyC For This Useful Post:

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

Congrats, Tony, on your acquisition. Never had one like yours, but love my oval hole A.

22. The following members say thank you to Sherry Cadenhead for this post:

TonyC 

Quote Originally Posted by TonyC View Post
    Well...my Mid Missouri M4 arrived today

However, I now know exactly how it is possible to own several different mandolins. Thanks again everyone.
    Big Congrats that's always a good day. Don't have a flat top but enjoy playing them (have to watch string gauges tho...

possible to own several different mandolins.

What? How long has this been going on??
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

24. The following members say thank you to gtani7 for this post:

TonyC