Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grisman's mando at Rockygrass ID?

Default Grisman's mando at Rockygrass ID?

Saw the stream of Grisman playing with the Tony Rice Tribute group at Rockygrass, and didn't recognize his newfangled mandolin, and couldn't read the headstock on my screen. Anyone familiar with it?

--Nancy

Default Re: Grisman's mando at Rockygrass ID?

Could have been a Giacomel.

It was a Giacomel. Looked like anew I haven't seen him play before.

Thanks! Looks so space age. Sure had a good bark though.
    As an aside, are Sam and Dawg not quite as sharp as they used to be? It makes me a little sad.

<<As an aside, are Sam and Dawg not quite as sharp as they used to be?>>

Not that I've noticed.

I haven't seen enough of this gig to comment on the current sharpness of the mando greats Dawg and Sam, but a more general comment is that perhaps some musicians are not quite on their game at the moment due to lack of gigging etc over the past 18 months or so?

My mum is about the same age as Dawg, and she is certainly a remarkable woman, but inevitably she is "older" than she was. My impression is that Dawg's ability on the mando is still something that most of us can only aspire to, and his wit is very much evident when listening to the recent podcasts on his website. Sam seems to be preternaturally young for someone aged 69, and still a monster musician.

I'm certainly not trying to be contrary Nancy, and I agree with the general sentiment that it can be sad to see our heroes age, perhaps Tony Rice being a good example of this. I find it inspiring that Dawg and Sam are still so active and doing so well at ages that many folk have retired.
    Last edited by Paul Cowham; Jul-24-2021 at 9:39pm.

You're right Paul, thanks, it didn't sound contrary at all. Dawg mentioned not playing with anyone for last 19 months and I'm sure that's part of it. But yes, I'm sad about watching everyone age... including myself. Saying goodbye to my heroes as they drop one by one is really hard after listening to them for 40 years of edge of my seat bliss. Tony was certainly heart breaking for me, especially the way it all went down. Watching the old guys travel and tour at the rate they do is awe inspiring. BTW I'm listening to the Sam Bush band at Rockygrass right now, and certainly Sam shines on the repertoire he is more familiar with.

David says he's lost some speed, but that's not obvious to me. The best rhythm player of all time in my book and a master (along with Statman) with amazingly expressive, double-stop tremolos. And then there's his tone... none better...

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Glassweb For This Useful Post:

I think DAWGs playing for the TR tribute was definitely from being a bit rusty and not playing a gig for like 19 months (I think that's what he said on stage). Sam was definitely on fire last night with his band last night and playing as good as usual!

yes! And watching Sam and Ronnie McCoury trading licks was awe inspiring. Both Dawg and Sam and a rhythm like no one else.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cowham View Post
    I haven't seen enough of this gig to comment on the current sharpness of the mando greats Dawg and Sam, but a more general comment is that perhaps some musicians are not quite on their game at the moment due to lack of gigging etc over the past 18 months or so?...
    Can't comment on Grisman and Bush, since I haven't watched the Rockygrass vid, but I heartily second Paul's suggestion.

I largely shut down in terms of music performance from March 2020 to late Spring this year -- 80+ gigs canceled, uncounted others never scheduled -- and what little gigging I did generally didn't involve mandolin. Mostly seniors' performances with guitar, banjo, ukulele. And I'm very bad at keeping up my chops by playing solo at home when there's no performance to prepare for.

When I got out my mandolin again –– some back-up to play, local sing-arounds restarting, a few "mando" gigs -- I was horrified at the level of regression, in terms of speed, accuracy, and general musicality. Now working to get back "up to speed," and fairly confident I can recover, but taking a lesson from experience: use it or lose it, at least temporarily.

And there's a different level required between woodshedding at home, and playing in front of people. Local music school wants me to resume teaching beginner mandolin in October, but right now I feel better qualified to take the class than to teach it!
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

13. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Nancyf 

I agree with Allen and the others about the deterioration in performance skills that can result from, in my case, 15 months with no gigs. I restarted in early June and only now, seven shows later, am I starting to feel comfortable on stage again. I kept a steady practice regimen during those 15 months but performing involves so many skills in addition to picking and singing.

Quote Originally Posted by Glassweb View Post
    David says he's lost some speed, but that's not obvious to me. The best rhythm player of all time in my book and a master (along with Statman) with amazingly expressive, double-stop tremolos. And then there's his tone... none better...
    Tone…none better? Reischman and Ronnie McCoury come to mind.

Who all was in the Tony Rice Tribute Band at Rockygrass besides DG?

Lots of folks are rusty. I can remember the first few weeks in May getting back to playing with actual people in the same room... we all looked at each other after the first few tunes and all three of us just said "Yuck!".

Don't count anyone out, and from what I remember, Tony Rice was sick a long time, and he was fighting issues with his hands for a long time before that. Dawg will be back to his blazing speed. It's just kinda weird getting out after a year off and trying to find that groove again.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

Teacher, repair person

Well, David Grisman is 76. His speed is bound to decrease, sooner or later. But his tone will remain as long as his hands work well enough to brew a cup of coffee in the morning.

I'm going to give my 64 year old hands a few minutes on an instrument right now. They need the work.

19. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Roberts View Post

Who all was in the Tony Rice Tribute Band at Rockygrass besides DG?
    Bela Fleck on banjo, Chris Eldridge and Brian Sutton on Guitar, Michael Cleveland on fiddle, Mark Shatz on bass, Sam on mandolin and fiddle. It was epic! It was so cool to hear them play Swing 51 when Dawg came out and did a few numbers with them. Dawg also wrote a new tune called "20/20" that he debuted there that he dedicated to Tony. That show right there was worth the 50 bucks to see all three days main stage performances!

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rob Fowler For This Useful Post:

Rockygrass - Ronnie McCoury hasn't lost a step for sure - I think he's been podding and playing with most of the band. Good reason to have a family band for sure. And Del at 82 is a wonder. Sure he forgets stuff, but he still knows more words to more songs than I'll ever learn in a lifetime, and his rhythm is rock solid.
    The Tony Rice tribute was indeed a beautiful thing, worth the price of admission and then some.

Arthritis and pandemic has left me limping along, but I'll do what I can when I can. I love everything about being in my 60s except this.

I should be pickin' rather than postin'

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dang For This Useful Post:

see below
    Last edited by Jim Roberts; Jul-25-2021 at 11:56pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Glassweb View Post
    Apologies for my comment to the post about Grisman and tone.

I had total knee replacement two weeks ago, have had some unexpected complications and am on numerous crazy prescription drugs and obviously not thinking clearly. I reread my post and it was uncalled for and especially to such a gentleman who has done so much for the music world. Grisman is one of the greats for sure and deserves maximum respect. His style and tone are unparalleled.

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jim Roberts For This Useful Post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Never mind who's what. Sam Bush from 2:40 - 3:20, then Holy Mother of Pearl, Bela freakin' Fleck! Good luck anyone following that!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

29. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

That was amazing! Six of all my all time faves on a stage together. Wish I could have been there.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    Well, David Grisman is 76. His speed is bound to decrease, sooner or later. But his tone will remain as long as his hands work well enough to brew a cup of coffee in the morning.
    And with a cup of coffee before the show ….

Seriously, having seen Ravi Shankar in concert in his late 80’s, I’d say that as the greats age, speed decreases, tone remains the same (since they dialed in their tone decades earlier), and expressiveness increases.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

32. The following members say thank you to Marcus CA for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

... that being defined at least in part as their ability to turn dreams into memories - a most charming and noble notion.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

on the Giacomel, Grisman did an online "taste testing" of many of his mandolins, and I will say the Giacomel he played there was the overall best sounding, Crusher, the Monteleone and the 25 F5 all held thier own, bit for best overall tone I had to go with the Giacomel. As for performance ability if I could play half as good as either Sam or Dave slow, that would be something.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"