Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Eastman won't stay in tune - bad pegs?

Default Re: New Eastman won't stay in tune - bad pegs?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cameron View Post
    Per Eastman website, tuners are Pingwell, not Gotoh until you get to the 800 and 900 series. Grover 309s are a big improvement and easy to switch in.
    Yes and no. My 915 specs said it came with Gotohs, but it actually had Schallers. I have noticed, at least in the 900 series, that sometimes individual instruments stray from the published specs. For instance: the 915 blonde will sometimes come with black wooden binding, and sometimes tortoise. THIS IS NOT A COMPLAINT -- just an observation.
    Eastman 915 B Mando
    Eastman MD-314 Mando
    Eastman MD-524 Mando
    Godin A-8 Mando
    Eastman MDO305 OM
    Eastman ER1 Mando
    TC Bouzouki TM375 Zook
    Eastman MDC-804 'Cello
    Eastman E60M
    Epiphone "Hummingbird"

Are your strings going sharp or flat? Or are the changes sometimes one, sometimes the other?

Consistently going flat can be an indication of new strings continuing to stretch out. You would find this with a guitar as well, though -- and probably a violin a well, though I lack personal experience with violin strings.

What sometimes happens when strings are held too tightly in the slots of the nut, is that the additional tension or slackness you apply to the portion of the string between tuning peg and nut, "works its way" to the portion of the string between nut and bridge, often when you're playing the mandolin, but sometimes when it's just sitting there unplayed. You tighten the string too much to raise it to concert pitch, because only a portion of the extra tension you're applying actually gets "through" the nut to the sounding part of the string. Then, later, the extra tension works its way through the nut slots and the sounding portion of the string goes sharp.

Instruments left to themselves may or may not "hold their pitch." Changes in temperature and humidity produce small but noticeable effects on the geometry of a wooden instrument, stretching or slackening strings as a result. Better instruments can be more sensitive; your electric bass, which may just be a solid slab of wood, shows less effect than a violin or a mandolin.

I expect that an unplayed instrument I pick up to play won't be in the same tuning as when I put it away. That's why I have so many of those li'l tuners stuck to headstocks of the instruments I play frequently. If instruments stayed in tune, they wouldn't need sensitive tuning devices like your Eastman's pegs; they could have tuning pins like pianos (or Autoharps), only needing to be adjusted with a wrench every now and then.

Of course, my Autoharps go out of tune all the time, but that's another (sad) story...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I’ve noticed that my BRW holds tuning better than my Eastman but I always assume that my mandolin will need tuning every time it’s been put away and picked up. The biggest difference is that fewer strings on the BRW will need adjustment than the Eastman, probably because it stays inside at the house instead of traveling to the brewery in the hot truck.

I expect to have to tune my mandolin often while I am playing it, so picking it up from sitting, tuning is a must.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Blog Entries

I mostly only play for myself, but I tune far too often while I play. Any even slight mismatch in a course is extremely grating to my ears so I'm just constantly adjusting the tuners. ...I'm hoping better tuners would help with this if I ever get around to having them installed.
    Diego

Eastman MD315
    Kentucky KM505
    JBovier ELS
    ---
    Ivan Dunov VL402 Violin

Quote Originally Posted by TonyEarth View Post
    I mostly only play for myself, but I tune far too often while I play. Any even slight mismatch in a course is extremely grating to my ears so I'm just constantly adjusting the tuners. ...I'm hoping better tuners would help with this if I ever get around to having them installed.
    From my experience, "better" tuners can make "getting back in tune" a bit faster, since they usually more precise, with less play, but the need never goes away. I check my tuning every few songs. It will usually stay in tune that long. Mandolins -- the ultimate love-hate relationship
    Eastman 915 B Mando
    Eastman MD-314 Mando
    Eastman MD-524 Mando
    Godin A-8 Mando
    Eastman MDO305 OM
    Eastman ER1 Mando
    TC Bouzouki TM375 Zook
    Eastman MDC-804 'Cello
    Eastman E60M
    Epiphone "Hummingbird"

I once had an Eastman 505 with Schaller tuners. They were VERY smooth and that particular instrument held tune better than any instrument I've ever owned. In fact, it was my favorite thing about it. I've gone through three sets of tuners on my Collings and had serious tuning issues before finally getting it resolved. All said, I'd not keep an instrument that will not hold tune because it will be an endless source of frustration. If you have a good tech near you, I recommend taking it to him/her and having it looked over. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    I once had an Eastman 505 with Schaller tuners. They were VERY smooth and that particular instrument held tune better than any instrument I've ever owned. In fact, it was my favorite thing about it. I've gone through three sets of tuners on my Collings and had serious tuning issues before finally getting it resolved. All said, I'd not keep an instrument that will not hold tune because it will be an endless source of frustration. If you have a good tech near you, I recommend taking it to him/her and having it looked over. Best of luck.
    Yeah. Two of mandos sport, respectively, Schallers and Grover 309s. I can't say they stay in tune longer, but getting them back in tune is a whole lot easier.
    Eastman 915 B Mando
    Eastman MD-314 Mando
    Eastman MD-524 Mando
    Godin A-8 Mando
    Eastman MDO305 OM
    Eastman ER1 Mando
    TC Bouzouki TM375 Zook
    Eastman MDC-804 'Cello
    Eastman E60M
    Epiphone "Hummingbird"

Quote Originally Posted by meow-n-dolin View Post
    Yeah. Two of mandos sport, respectively, Schallers and Grover 309s. I can't say they stay in tune longer, but getting them back in tune is a whole lot easier.
    I would add Rubner tuners to that list to make it a trio.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

10. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Dave Sheets

Nothing wrong with upgrading tuners, but if money is an issue:

Do try careful lubrication of the tuners with tri-flow, it's made for bicycles but can sometimes help greatly with tuners. The site below has a really helpful discussion

http://www.lutherie.net/tuner.maintenance.html

Lubricate the nut slots with a pencil (graphite).

Put fresh strings on it
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments