Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Schottische

Default Re: Schottische

Band I play in has different lyrics, from NE Scotland.
    Very adaptable tune!

I posted it before, you can see here:
    https://youtu.be/oHvc43mtrpo

Broon Coo:
    https://youtu.be/ckh4Q1L7gxE
    Bren

2. The following members say thank you to Bren for this post:

Up here in Northeast Iowa there is a strong tradition of Norwegian-American dance music, rooted in the dance parties that farmers used to hold in their homes back in the early to mid 20th century. A great local band, Foot-Notes, has been dedicated to preserving that tradition since around 1990 and, for many years, held regular dances at the old schoolhouse in tiny Highlandville, Iowa. A Foot-Notes dance consists of polkas, waltzes, schottisches and two-steps.

I have inherited the mandolin chair in the band in recent years. Although the band plays less frequently than they used to the local folks (from toddlers to elders) still come out and dance to these tunes. In fact, last weekend was Decorah's annual Nordic Fest where Foot-Notes typically holds streets dances that draw hundreds of dancers. This year we felt that the usual large evening dances might be a little too covid-friendly so we arranged to play a shortened set in the late afternoon. Still a surprisingly large group of Foot-Notes regulars turned out in the 90 degree heat.

The schottische is probably the favorite dance among the under 60 crowd and some very innovative dancing occurs as the teams of dancers whirl around. The video I'm presenting is from the 2015 Fest when Foot-Notes hosted the World Largest Schottische. The music on the video is a studio recording of the tune we played that evening, not a live recording of the actual event. So things don't sync up but you can get the idea of how many dancers were involved. (That's me playing mando in the video and, despite appearances, I was actually quite awake.)

So this is what schottische music sounds like in Northeast Iowa and Southern Minnesota. Months before the 2015 Fest Beth Hoven Rotto, the founder and leader of Foot-Notes, wrote to the Guinness people to see if we could submit a claim for the record of world's largest schottische. In their wisdom the Guinness folks replied that the schottische is really just a form of polka and they already had a record for that. Many children in Decorah can easily discern the difference between a schottische and a polka so we found the Guinness reasoning to be faulty and went ahead and set our own record anyway.

I would suggest (as a non-dancing, long-time dance musician) that it's all about the hop.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to John Goodin For This Useful Post:

The tune in that Iowa schottische is one we would know as The Keel Row (said to be of Tyneside origin) and often played after Brochan Lom and followed by Katie Bairdie/Kafoozalum.
    Bren

6. The following members say thank you to Bren for this post:

I'm gratified to learn that there's a tune called Kafoozalum - I'll have to investigate further.

D.H.

You will recognise it, probably under another title. e.g. "Johnny Will Ye Marry Me", "London Bridge" etc
    http://www.ibiblio.org/fiddlers/KA.htm
    Bren

9. The following members say thank you to Bren for this post:

We had dancers doing the jenkka up in the UP of Michigan last week. It's also still popular around here in the Twin Cities as well as northern Minnesota. In fact, would guess that some of the bands play mostly schottish and waltz and less polkas (and polskas). Our band still tries to mix things up, but we've been threatening to do a show with nothing but jenkka tunes.

It's also interesting to see how tunes have migrated. Others have different names for the same tune. Depending on where they learned it.

But mostly, just have to agree with John, the difference is in the hop.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

I only learned this month , via Magnus Zetterlund, that a Swedish polska isn't a polka.

I mean, I had noticed many 3/4 time Swedish polskas but it still didn't click.
    Bren

12. The following members say thank you to Bren for this post:

The chotis (Schottische) became the most representative and traditional dance in Madrid, Spain. In Colombia this is played and danced to its own and local version, it is called chotis too or chiotis.
    Music washes away from the soul the dust of every-day life. Auerbach.
    The rejection of 'the others' is a tragedy of the human being; If it comes from emigrants, an added horror!

14. The following members say thank you to Jairo Ramos for this post: