Thread: String recommendations for Gibson Snakehead A Junior

Default String recommendations for Gibson Snakehead A Junior

As with all mandolins I have ever owned, I like to try different types of strings. Currently have Mapes PB strings on my Snakehead A-Jr. I really like them and I like being able to get custom gauges at no extra cost.

I was thinking about trying Stainless steel strings. Has anyone tried stainless steel on a Gibson Snakehead A Junior? If so please share your feedback.

I have been going with the lighter gauges .11 .14 .25 and. 38. I know about D'Addario EJ-74's, but I prefer lighter gauges for this mandolin.

Any feedback on other alloys, etc. Is welcome.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Default Re: String recommendations for Gibson Snakehead A Junior

Give the D'Addario EFW-74s a try. They are .011-.015-.026-.036 stainless steel, flat wound strings and while I don't have a snakehead A Jr. I have been using them on my '16 F-4 with very pleasing results. The "feel" of the strings under your fingers is much lighter than the EF-74 strings they replaced and they are a heck of a lot cheaper than Tomastik-Infeld strings but they sound very similar to the TIs. Try 'em, you may like 'em,

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

The junior, while having the narrower neck of the Loar era mandolins, does not have a truss rod. I think you are right not using heavier strings. I like the GHS N250's for a slightly lighter string. They are pure nickel and I like the sound and how long they last. On my '22 A2, with the truss rod and larger neck, I use the N270's. I am not concerned with that mandolin, the neck is 1 1/4" wide and deep with a truss rod.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Thank you all for the feedback and suggestions. I will try those strings everyone has suggested.

Do you notice any loss in volume with the flatwound strings?

No, not much of a volume loss if any but definitely a tonal shift with SS flat wounds vs. PB EJ-74s (what I meant to say in my post above). A lot of the strident tone that we all love on a bluegrass mandolin is tamed to a more jazzy or classical voice, a difference that I was hoping to find (from my old mandolin orchestra days) with the EFW-74 strings.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL