Thread: Eastman 'cello-guitar--'cello "convertible" for less than $25

Default Eastman 'cello-guitar--'cello "convertible" for less than $25

If interested: Making your Eastman a convertible 'cello to guitar, and back, after some initial investment in time, for less than $25.

I know at least one other poster here has converted his Eastman 'cello to a guitar. I have pondered this for a while. I have never owned a good archtop guitar, and was curious how it would sound. After about an hour worth of research, I located a Chinese-made bridge (Disens) on Amazon for $9.99. I already had an extra slotted guitar nut (Tusq, I think?), so I was good to go. Tusq nuts can be had in the $12-$15 range, so, out of pocket costs (not including a sheet of sandpaper and wear-and-tear on a couple of files) was $21.99.

The bridge is a near-perfect-match for the Eastman bridge. The hole size and spacing is identical, as is it's shape and overall size, so all I needed to do was to cut the string slots in the saddle, remove about 3/16 in from the bottom of the saddle, and it was good to go. NO BRIDGE-FITTING REQUIRED. The nut took a bit more time to fit, but, all labor was completed in well under an hour and a half. A pro could probably do it in 1/3 that time.

The sound is really nice – maybe a bit warmer than some examples of archtops I have played, but certainly still “arch-toppy.”

To change my 'cello to an archtop, or back to a cello, takes about two minutes longer than changing strings. Lots of new possibilities...

Al
    Eastman 915 B Mando
    Eastman MD-314 Mando
    Eastman MD-524 Mando
    Godin A-8 Mando
    Eastman MDO305 OM
    Eastman ER1 Mando
    TC Bouzouki TM375 Zook
    Eastman MDC-804 'Cello
    Eastman E60M
    Epiphone "Hummingbird"

Default Re: Eastman 'cello-guitar--'cello "convertible" for less than $25

This makes a lot of sense since the Eastman MC was built from their archtop guitar and factory modified. That is why the scale is a guitar scale with a nut width the same as a guitar.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Default Re: Eastman 'cello-guitar--'cello "convertible" for less than $25

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    This makes a lot of sense since the Eastman MC was built from their archtop guitar and factory modified. That is why the scale is a guitar scale with a nut width the same as a guitar.
    Yep. It's basically a copy of an L5 Gibson (or with the oval hole, an L4) Gibson apparently made a handful of L5 bodied 'cellos and at least one L4-bodied 'cello/
    Eastman 915 B Mando
    Eastman MD-314 Mando
    Eastman MD-524 Mando
    Godin A-8 Mando
    Eastman MDO305 OM
    Eastman ER1 Mando
    TC Bouzouki TM375 Zook
    Eastman MDC-804 'Cello
    Eastman E60M
    Epiphone "Hummingbird"