Thread: Steve Kaufman Camp

Default Steve Kaufman Camp

Anyone been to one of his mandolin camps?

Default Re: Steve Kaufman Camp

Quote Originally Posted by bmfsfan615 View Post
    Been to several of his camps (Kamps), though as a guitar player. There is much more than mandolin at these gatherings. Guitar, banjo, fiddle, upright bass, singing, song writing, dobro (and probably a few that I missed), are all represented.

Would be glad to answer any specific questions.

D

3. The following members say thank you to Don Herring for this post:

Professional Cat Herder Phil Vinyard's Avatar

This will be my 14th year. I wouldn't miss Kaufman Kamp for my own funeral!

It's much more than mandolin camp. All of the instructors are terrific, but the mandolin instructors are always exceedingly good!

Master classes every morning and afternoon, amazing concerts every evening, and then we jam all night. Plus lots of other lessons/activities in between. It kicks my playing up significantly every year I go.

Here is a link: https://www.flatpik.com/steve-kaufma...-kamp-overview I always go the second (Bluegrass) week, but would someday like to go to both weeks.

Got specific questions?
    Phil Vinyard
    Gibson Jam Master F Standard #12 May 13, 2009
    Gibson Model A #67336 ca. 1921
    Harwood Bowlback ca. 1900
    Trinity College TM-325 Octave Mandolin
    Freshwater Mandocello
    Krutz 200 Upright Bass

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Steve Kaufman is an incredible teacher. If you do not learn from him, you won´t learn anything. Some of his ideas are personal and I have a different opinion on them. But until you get that far, you will have learned a lot. I went to a guitar workshop in Bonn a long time ago. It was worth it. It was a blast to jam with him too. Kaufman Camp is probably one of the first gatherings that focus on teaching groups over an extended period of time. Other places like that are the Sore Fingers Week in the UK and Adiaha´s Bluegrass Camp in Germany.
    Olaf

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vinyard View Post
    This will be my 14th year. I wouldn't miss Kaufman Kamp for my own funeral!

It's much more than mandolin camp. All of the instructors are terrific, but the mandolin instructors are always exceedingly good!

Master classes every morning and afternoon, amazing concerts every evening, and then we jam all night. Plus lots of other lessons/activities in between. It kicks my playing up significantly every year I go.

Here is a link: https://www.flatpik.com/steve-kaufma...-kamp-overview I always go the second (Bluegrass) week, but would someday like to go to both weeks.

Got specific questions?
    Im a beginner mando player (about 1.5 yrs) and was just wondering if it would worth it to attend. I’d love to go and learn and jam but Im likely not on the same skill level as others to be able to jam unless beginner/intermediate circles

I bought a mando about a week before I went to SK Camp - awhile ago now - and I had a blast. It's not necessary but I would brush up on chord shapes and some common tunes - just listening to them is good practice as a beginner, there is an enormous list on the Camp website. If you go put yourself in a more advanced level and sit in the back and just listen and absorb things. It's a place where beginners are welcomed and encouraged - lots of jams both organized and spontaneous.

Noone is going to point and laugh at you and even if they did who cares...if I lived closer I'd go again. The food is good and the dorms are good - one year they weren't so great but I think that was an unusual situation. The classes are fun and the nightly concerts are so worth it.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Professional Cat Herder Phil Vinyard's Avatar

Im a beginner mando player (about 1.5 yrs) and was just wondering if it would worth it to attend. I’d love to go and learn and jam but Im likely not on the same skill level as others to be able to jam unless beginner/intermediate circles
    The Kamp is designed for people from expert level to "just got it out of the box". You'll do fine. There are beginner classes that you would do well in, and I'm aware of several beginner jams during the day. You will be welcomed where you are and encouraged! You will learn a bunch, but the big thing is Kamp gives you a vision of where you can go with your instrument and all the musical possibilities with it. Definitely go!
    Phil Vinyard
    Gibson Jam Master F Standard #12 May 13, 2009
    Gibson Model A #67336 ca. 1921
    Harwood Bowlback ca. 1900
    Trinity College TM-325 Octave Mandolin
    Freshwater Mandocello
    Krutz 200 Upright Bass

I have not been in several years but went several years for guitar and mandolin. It is great and all the people involved are great! A wonderful experience!

My wife went as a very beginner on mandolin(she had played banjo a few years) and got a lot out of it. They also have a pre beginner level with basic jamming skills but it is not separated by instrument. You are probably beyond that. There are jams at all levels. Keith Yoder coordinates the jams. He is very focused on making sure that everyone gets something out of it and that the jams are not exclusive. He and the other jam leaders are extremely supportive of beginners.