Thread: Repair Ontario

Question Repair Ontario

Hello Café Members!
    I figured this would be the place/ resource to get the most informed answer.
    I have a mandolin that requires a little bit beyond just a general setup. I'm looking to replace the bridge with a "full contact" maybe replace some tuner buttons etc.
    Does anyone know of a good repair person, luthier who also does repairs or a shop reputable and knowledgeable with mandolins within the province of Ontario? Even just for the basic stuff and I can prolong any serious upgrades.
    Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Repair Ontario

Give Mark Stutman at Folkway Music in Waterloo a call.

What part of Ontario are you in? Brian Dubbledam does great work in Ottawa

Quote Originally Posted by 1957Martins View Post
    Give Mark Stutman at Folkway Music in Waterloo a call.
    Thanks 1957Martins
    Last year I had inquired with them and they didn't take it past the door. Mine has some slightly sunken but stable f-holes that I don't think they wanted to deal with.
    That said, when it comes to guitar repair they are absolutely THE place around and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.
    Last edited by Aurora; Jul-30-2021 at 4:53pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuckle View Post
    What part of Ontario are you in? Brian Dubbledam does great work in Ottawa
    Thanks Canuckle,
    Thanks for the suggestion, I will look him up.
    I'm in southwestern Ontario (Wellington County). I'm willing to travel though. I would hop on a plane to Georgia (R.W.) for that matter if there wasn't restrictions.

I just met Mike Zimmerman to talk guitars over the phone. He shows up on a google search, and is living in Bancroft these days. We didn't talk mandos, but he impressed me as experienced, responsible, and knowing what he's doing.

Twelfth Fret in Toronto is the place to go for mandolin expertise since they stock the best 8-string selection in Canada bar none. Not sure who’d actually do the work there but that’s where I go (don’t need much of a reason] when in Toronto.

Brian D has been mentioned, I also recommend Gord Mylks, now located in Hartington ON near Kingston.

Uh, sunken f-holes, wha?
    2009 Eastman 505
    2011 Collings MTO GT
    2008 Toyota Sienna
    2018 Sawchyn mandola

Mandoline or Mandolin: Similar to the lute, but much less artistically valuable....for people who wish to play simple music without much trouble —The Oxford Companion to Music

Mike McConville in Stratford might help out. I used to do repairs but since Covid came along I retired. And now I’m trying to get the last couple projects complete, plus trying to fit in some mandolin practice. At 76 something has to give.

9. The following members say thank you to GalexC for this post: