Thread: Help me find a video

Default Help me find a video

I remember watching it a few years ago but cant find it anymore. Its a very well produced music video of a French (I believe) mandolin quartet performing an original piece. They sit around a small table in a dimly lit room and take turns hitting the table as percussion. Its a really cool effect. I think it was two mandolins, a mandola and a mandocello and they were flatbacks. The camera pans around them as they play. I would greatly appreciate any help finding this as I would really like to watch it again but no amount of searching on youtube has worked for me.

Default Re: Help me find a video

Hi,

They’re French and called the Melonious Quartet. If this link does not work the tune was called Gaucho. Perhaps my favourite video on YouTube.

Regards,

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mandrian For This Useful Post:

Fantastic group. Strangely I was listening to their CD Au Sud De La Mandoline a couple of days ago, for the first time in ages.
    They don't seem to be active any more, as far as I can tell, but I did once play at Mandopolis, a festival which they used to run, and saw them give a wonderful performance and hung out with them all weekend.

Actually, I just see that they have held a festival in 2021 but it doesn't look like Melonious were playing.
    http://www.mandopolis.org/
    David A. Gordon

5. The following members say thank you to Dagger Gordon for this post:

I wonder if all the instruments are by the same builder? They all seem to share a certain design look. Wonderful music and thanks for finding it for us Mandrian.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hudmister View Post
    I wonder if all the instruments are by the same builder? They all seem to share a certain design look. Wonderful music and thanks for finding it for us Mandrian.
    Googling around I found the name "Andre Sakellarides", but I can't find much info on them besides a couple threads in the mandolincafe that talk about them briefly
    Diego

Eastman MD315
    Kentucky KM505
    JBovier ELS
    ---
    Ivan Dunov VL402 Violin

Here is an interview Patrick Vaillant, the leader of the Melonious Quartet, did for Mandozine a long time ago (I couldn't see the date).

https://www.mandozine.com/media/CGOW/vaillant.html
    In it he comments on the group's instruments:

Q - Patrick, tell us about your special instruments.

A - When I was looking for a mandolin for my musical project, there was only classical mandolins or folk (american) mandolins. So I went to Andre Sakellarides in Marseille, who is making mostly violins, violas and cellos - and experimental bow instruments. I've asked him to create a new mandolin model for me. So he did (1987). Then came the whole family : alto mandola, tenor mandola, mandocellos, electric mandolin... The work is still in progress, all of them are prototypes.

My mandolin's neck is a little bit longer, the fingerboard is a little more narrow than american mandolins'. The string gauge I use : 9 - 13 - 22 - 32 There's nothing very special about the woods, except it's high quality.

To tell the truth, I'm not a wizard at organology. What is important is that these instruments sound like and look like what we want them to.

Here is a wee film about Andre, who I met at Mandopolis.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AluKLfSzedo
    David A. Gordon

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dagger Gordon For This Useful Post:

Very sadly, I heard that Andre Sakellarides has just passed away.
    David A. Gordon