Thread: Mandolin Identification Help

Default Mandolin Identification Help

Hello! I have just been given my great grandfathers mandolin and would like to see if I can learn anything about it. There is no label on the inside and I have not been able to find any serial numbers on it. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	227028970_851724495452830_2755103881634461494_n.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	195786
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	234661654_1115381825655361_5381134904629294046_n.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	195785  

Default Re: Mandolin Identification Help

The clue is the name on the headstock, probably a Gibson A40.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

At a quick glance it appears to be a Gibson A-40. From what you have shown it looks like it might have had original parts replaced. You might like to show the back of the headstock and the tuners, the back of the body, and a close up of the tailpiece and this will allow someone to confirm if the mandolin is 100% original or not as this will affect its value. The style of Gibson logo on your mandolin was used in the late 40s until about 1951, I believe- the key factor being the dot on the i in Gibson being attached to the G.

The tuners and tailpiece cover are not original.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Nice player-grade instrument from the most esteemed and prolific manufacturer. That ‘Gibson’ on the peghead adds intrinsic value. Don’t know what a fully original A-40 goes for these days but this one was clearly owned by someone who played it and maintained it, that’s a plus in my books. It’s a vintage instrument but not one of the golden era classics of the 20s and 30s, so the hardware changes won’t affect the value -that- much. I would expect to see an instrument like this, hanging at a decent music store, priced at maybe $800-$1200. Possibly more if it is fully, comfortably playable with a great sound.
    2009 Eastman 505
    2011 Collings MTO GT
    2008 Toyota Sienna
    2018 Sawchyn mandola

Mandoline or Mandolin: Similar to the lute, but much less artistically valuable....for people who wish to play simple music without much trouble —The Oxford Companion to Music

Here's what the old Vintage Guitars collectors' website, now Guitar HQ, had to say about the A-40:

1948 A-40 specs:
    Symmetrical body, "F" holes, arched top and back, laminated mahogany body with cross brace, clamshell tailpiece, single bound top, rosewood fingerboard, dot inlays, natural or sunburst.
    A-40 discontinued 1971.

So, made for a bit more than 20 years. If you can use a dentist's mirror, and a flashlight -- or some such -- to look inside the body up toward the block where the neck's attached, you may see a number stamped there. This is a factory order number, FON, which was a batch identification used during production at the Gibson factory. Using the Guitar HQ website, you can get an idea of when the mandolin was made -- if there's an FON. Gibson's notorious for leaving out numbering of its less expensive mandolins; for example, your mandolin should have a label with a serial number visible through one of the f-holes. But it doesn't. Could never have had one; label could have been detached during servicing of the instrument.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM