Thread: Help identifying an estate sale mandolin

Default Help identifying an estate sale mandolin

It’s pretty beat up, but was very affordable. The label is mostly worn off, and I couldn’t see a serial number through the F-holes. Does anyone know what it could be?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1C434FE5-FD14-4226-9AC2-5B00BAFEC94C.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	828.8 KB 
ID:	195544Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00C89654-0C80-4B9F-9B73-50EA4D8721D7.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	413.7 KB 
ID:	195545Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CD99305D-D30F-4CA4-B57C-45876308E2B9.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	816.2 KB 
ID:	195546

Default Re: Help identifying an estate sale mandolin

Not sure what the label said, but the mandolin is from the Kay Co. (formerly Stromberg-Voisinet) in Chicago.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Blog Entries

Coincidentally, the tailpiece, shape, and segmented f-holes look a lot like the mandolin in this other recent post:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...ketplace-finds

and as the poster there noted, the style of these is similar to Strad-O-Lins, but I don't actually know anything on the matter, just stumbled into the other post and did a bit of googling.
    Diego

Eastman MD315
    Kentucky KM505
    JBovier ELS
    ---
    Ivan Dunov VL402 Violin

Thank you for the tip on Kay!

This one looks remarkably similar: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...identification

No idea the date on the estate sale one, though. Didn't see any numbers. (And I wish I knew what the label said).

The tuners -made by Kluson have riveted gears which dates the mandolin to the mid to late 1940s.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyEarth View Post
    Coincidentally, the tailpiece, shape, and segmented f-holes look a lot like the mandolin in this other recent post:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...ketplace-finds

and as the poster there noted, the style of these is similar to Strad-O-Lins, but I don't actually know anything on the matter, just stumbled into the other post and did a bit of googling.
    Actually, the f-holes are a but different. This one has apostrophe-shaped end holes on each F-hole and the Strad-O-Lin has completely circular ones. They are both segmented though, so there is a similarity.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

The headstock shape is the dead giveaway of who made it. The tailpiece was a standard Waverly cloud shaped tailpiece that was used by every major manufacturer including Harmony, Kay, Regal, Gibson, and Martin.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

8. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Mike,
    I am ignorant of the headstock you obviously recognize. Would you mind enlightening me.

The asymmetrical headstock shape was introduced by Kay in the early 1930s when the company was known as Kay Kraft and you can see it on guitars as well as mandolins and the shape was used for at least 20 years although more latterly, it only featured on mandolins, like yours. Here is an early example on a guitar with the pearlette plastic overlay on the headstock.

https://reverb.com/uk/item/38404240-...coustic-guitar

I have always called it a “foot stock”.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by red7flag View Post
    Mike,
    I am ignorant of the headstock you obviously recognize. Would you mind enlightening me.
    It's a Kay exclusive. If you see that shape on a headstock no matter what name is on that headstock it was built by Kay. It's one of the very things that will always identify a builder even if the instrument isn't marked.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

I just did a search of the late Mike Holmes Mugwumps Encyclopedia using the known letters of "alte". Got hits on 13 , all the first name "Walter". I'm going to guess that water-slide decal was put there by a school or teacher that bought a for the trade instrument to sell to their students.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I just did a search of the late Mike Holmes Mugwumps Encyclopedia using the known letters of "alte". Got hits on 13 , all the first name "Walter". I'm going to guess that water-slide decal was put there by a school or teacher that bought a for the trade instrument to sell to their students.
    Alte means old in German so that is definitely true.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: