Thread: Go Bar question?

Default Go Bar question?

Why? Is there a significant benefit to using such a setup? Not everyone has a setup like that so why go that route?
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Default Re: Go Bar question?

I have one under a small bench for bow re-haring. Actually it also holds my trash can that I can move should I need to use the deck, so not really anything that takes up space. It makes it easy to clamp the entire brace without typical clamps that would be much harder to use.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

3. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

It was the system I learned when attending the Stringed Instrument Class back in 2004 at Anniesland College here in Scotland, John. I have used it since and always find it easy to use and pretty foolproof. I made my own frame from MDF and lengths of screw rod with wing nuts, and made the bars from scrap timber I had in my workshop.
    There will be other systems just as good, I am sure, but this works for me.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

5. The following members say thank you to John Kelly for this post:

I see no use for one if building an archtop mandolin. On flat top instruments with a lot of braces to glue on (guitar), they're great. You can glue all the braces at the same time. In addition, when building a guitar, it is common practice to put a dome in the top and back. With a go bar deck, you put a big "dish" in the deck of the proper radius, sand the braces to the same radius. They all get glued onto the top and the bars clamp it all at the same time if you wish.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dale Ludewig For This Useful Post:

Here's my DIY go bar, I bought the fiberglass rods online, I got the all-thread rod, washers, & bolts at hardware store. I used plastic conduit for the rod sleeves. The wood panels were scrap that I had already had. As others have said, it makes it easy to reach areas that might be difficult to clamp. One could use sand/weight bags to accommodate carved tops or backs for clamping, otherwise one could hog out a concave panel insert.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	go bar 2.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	1,017.2 KB 
ID:	195598  
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jim simpson For This Useful Post:

I just took a guitar top out of my go bar deck. It's as Dale says, very efficient for guitar bracing. I also use it for mandolin bracing, but I put the arched top in a cradle with dense upholstery foam under the center so that clamping is even and the shape is not distorted. I figure; I've got the thing, might as well use it!

A word about those round fiberglass go bars. Be careful that they don't roll off of the brace and make a little round dimple in the top (DAMHIKT).

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

I see and it makes sense. I have only ever done two bars in a top. I used a piece of wood in a slight radius and some weight at either end. Worked fine but it was not an archtop. I can rig one of these up. I was just curious how much it was used and if it was worth it. I can see how my way could be an issue if you set it up wrong or had a lot of braces to install. Thanks everyone!

13. The following members say thank you to John Bertotti for this post:

I talked with a man in Scotland many years ago about a mandolin. I was about to pull the trigger but by the time I was ready, he was not building anymore. I can not remember who that was. A very pleasant man to talk to.

If you are in a basement shop with exposed rafters, there is no reason to build a big fancy contraption. Just make your "bars" out of scrap hardwoods and spring them off the ceiling. I have about 100 different sizes for a variety of benches and tasks and spent maybe $5 on the total system.

I prefer wooden go-bars because I can change the thickness and corresponding spring rate / tension being applied, and I also can cut little "V" notches so they don't slip off braces.

The reality is that I can't do everything I need with traditional clamps... or a go bar deck.... or the big vacuum press system....BUT....combined they make a workshop that I can build anything from the smallest mandolin up to giant double basses with ease and efficiency.
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

I do use my deck for gluing the tops to the rims while the rim is still in the mold.

18. The following members say thank you to Steve Hinde for this post: