Thread: Gibson Jam Master versus A9 versus Flatiron A value

Default Gibson Jam Master versus A9 versus Flatiron A value

Like many others, I'm trying to get the best bang for the buck in terms of sound and playability. These three seem roughly equivalent except that the Flatiron is more decorative and the Jam Master has a slightly wider fret board (which I think I like).

Any comments in general on these?

Is $1400 about right or a bit too much for each of these?

Thanks,
    Alan

P.S. -- I somewhat understand the differences between the Bozeman Flats and the Gibson Flats

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everything from some busted up 5 string banjos and a converted Vega 5 string and a Christy long neck banjo and a beautiful looking and sounding 1980's Imperial banjo -- to a (wonderfully sounding, so underpriced) 1917 Gibson A, a Loar 400 mandolin,a couple of Harmony Monterey mandos that need fixin', a couple of ukes, an old Yamaha 12 string, an old Blueridge BR-OS Dread, a Loar LO-6 that I might sell, a nice lam top Epiphone guitar from the early 1970s, a 2005 Taylor 000 solid mahogany (but I like the Martin sound a little better), a Gibson banjo mandolin from the early 1920's and some other stuff....

Default Re: Gibson Jam Master versus A9 versus Flatiron A value

Interestingly, your comments on the differences do not mention either sound or playability. Have you played either? Can you comment on sound/playability?
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Teacher, repair person

There are 4 periods for Flatiron mandolins: Those made before the May 1987 acquisition of the then independent Flatiron company by Gibson, those made in Bozeman after the acquisition, those made in Nashville from 1996 until sometime in the early 2000's, and finally, the rather low grade imports which were Flatirons in name only, made circa 2007.

The early mandolins made by the independent Flatiron company command a higher price than later instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    There are 4 periods for Flatiron mandolins: Those made before the May 1987 acquisition of the then independent Flatiron company by Gibson, those made in Bozeman after the acquisition, those made in Nashville from 1996 until sometime in the early 2000's, and finally, the rather low grade imports which were Flatirons in name only, made circa 2007.

The early mandolins made by the independent Flatiron company command a higher price than later instruments.
    ==========================================
    To compare apples to apples - the pre-Gibson Flatirons apparently have a little more of an "open" sound (more overtones -- not overwhelming but noticeable) while the Gibson era ones are a little more focused in sound presumably similar to the A9's and Jam Masters. (We won't talk about the most recent imported Flatirons).

So I have three questions:
    1) Am I more or less correct concerning tone?
    2) Will bigger frets on the Jam Master affect the tone much? (Maybe increase sustain a little?)
    3) Most important -- is $1400 a reasonble price for a Jam Master in very good condition?

One observation I have made is that the Jam Masters don't show up in the classifieds often. I've also never seen a JM in a shop.

In this range of instruments I would add the Ratliff Country Boy. Very similar to the 9s and JMs. I have no financial interest in Ratliff but have played a Country Boy F and it was great. I regret not grabbing it when I had the chance. Good Luck!

Teacher, repair person

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Spector View Post
    ==========================================
    To compare apples to apples - the pre-Gibson Flatirons apparently have a little more of an "open" sound (more overtones -- not overwhelming but noticeable) while the Gibson era ones are a little more focused in sound presumably similar to the A9's and Jam Masters. (We won't talk about the most recent imported Flatirons).

So I have three questions:
    2) Will bigger frets on the Jam Master affect the tone much? (Maybe increase sustain a little?)
    3) Most important -- is $1400 a reasonble price for a Jam Master in very good condition?
    1] A friend of mine has a pre-Gibson Flatiron A5-2 mandolin that I have played quite a few times, and is quite a good instrument. My opinion is just an opinion, but I prefer it to any Gibson made Flatiron that I have played. But I cannot give you a qualitative opinion on the differences in tone. The only A-9 that I have played did not leave much of an impression on me.

2] Maybe a little, maybe not at all. Any differences will probably be small. But-- considering the poor quality of some the factory fret jobs that I have seen on some of the modern assembly-line Gibson mandolins, a good quality re-fret might make the instrument easier to play, and that might make it sound better.

3] There's not much information on Jam Master prices out there. A quick google search yielded a Reverb sold listing from a Rhode Island music store with a listed price of $1395 for a brown A model, and a sold listing for a "custom cherry burst" A model from The Mandolin Store with an asking price of $1749. What the actual selling prices were, we don't know. Both mandolins appeared to have been in pretty nice condition.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

You seem to be describing the differences often ascribed to x-braced versus tone barred mandolins.

I’m skeptical of the effect of fret size on tone though it way well affect your perception of their playability.

There are so few Jam Masters trading hands that you might need to use the A9 to determine a reasonable price, but a Gibson usually traffics at higher prices than an equivalent Flatiron.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

The a-9 and f-9's sell at pretty consistent prices tho there's aren't many documented sale prices: https://reverb.com/marketplace?query...shed_at%7Cdesc
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

There is one Gibson Jam Master A in the classifieds at the moment for under $1400. Most of the Flatiron A models I am seeing are listing for over 3K.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Blog Entries

If I recollect correctly, the early new A and F style Jam Masters were priced similarly to the early new A-9 and F-9 mandolins, basically differing in that they were sporting a blonde finish. Then something happened at the factory and they were priced in the same range as the mid-range A-5 / F-5 series.

Am I just confabulating this, or does anyone else here remember this too?
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]