Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Action high - but why, I cry!

Registered User Willi Bahrenberg's Avatar

Default Action high - but why, I cry!

Hello Everyone,

first post here, I hope I put this into the right category.

Well, an ad for a 1999 Lebeda has caught my eye, but there is a detail that's kind of a red flag for me, because I had a bad experience with this sort of thing in the past:

One photo shows that the bridge is set as low as it goes so the action must have gotten higher over time. In my search on the internet I've found several reports of this happening (even Weber acknowledge this on their website) but never any information on what process causes this to occur.

Anyone with any answers?
    Also, what would be the remedy for high action? Apart from sanding down the bridge - I've done this to the Brekke-bridge of my Yellowstone (the aforementioned bad experience) - Its so tiny now, I fear if I took even more off of it, it might take damage from the string tension.

Oh, here is the link to the ad:
    https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-...757106-74-2836

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Default Re: Action high - but why, I cry!

It could be as simple as a truss rod adustment.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Hi,

I would ask them what the action is just now, ie string clearance at 12th fret. If it is around 1.5mm I would not be concerned about the bridge being set low. I’ve had a three Lebedas in my time, they were good well made mandolins and of course they have a truss rod.

Regards,

sure, maybe the lebeda in the pictures would benefit from some trussrod adjustment. No way to tell from afar.

What I can tell however, is that the neck on my Weber is fine, so that doesn't answer my general question.

But thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming ;-)

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Willi Bahrenberg View Post
    One photo shows that the bridge is set as low as it goes so the action must have gotten higher over time. In my search on the internet I've found several reports of this happening (even Weber acknowledge this on their website) but never any information on what process causes this to occur.

Anyone with any answers?
    If I understand your question correctly, my guess would be that the top has settled or sunk a bit over time due to string pressure which simultaneously is pulling the headstock up towards the body of the instrument. That process can be combatted by dropping the bridge, but when it has bottomed out, eventually a reset neck is the only remedy.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

If the weather is humid this time of the year, as it is here, the top will swell and the bridge will need to be lowered to keep the action acceptable. Mine go down quite a ways, with one near the bottom now. As winter comes and the air gets drier I will have to raise them back up. Not saying this is the problem, but between a truss rod adjustment and humidity it can have a pronounced effect.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    If I understand your question correctly, my guess would be that the top has settled or sunk a bit over time due to string pressure which simultaneously is pulling the headstock up towards the body of the instrument. That process can be combatted by dropping the bridge, but when it has bottomed out, eventually a reset neck is the only remedy.
    I knew a mandolin top could sink, but always figured that this would cause a lower action instead of a higher one. But if the headstock gets pulled forward this would change the neck/body-angle, right? And that causes the higher action even though the neck itself is straight?

If thats the case, I think I finally get it!

Thanks for all the answers! - I guess instead of buying a new old mandolin I might have to invest in some maintenance for the one I already own...

Is there any chance you can handle it first? Why not just put a non-adjustable bridge on it and work it to the proper height. I would think that would work well as long as the neck is tight straight set up as it should be and the headstock is as it should be. Frankly if I see an instrument with a straight neck and a headstock pulling forward I'm passing on it.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

So if you have a low Lebeda, you should see a mandolin doctor! lol!
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Jim, I gather from your title that your writing style was heavily influenced by Dr. Seuss.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranald View Post
    Jim, I gather from your title that your writing style was heavily influenced by Dr. Seuss.
    Oops, that should have been addressed to Will.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

12. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    That can be true. However, more often than not, I can often dress the frets and modify the bridge to get mandolins playing again as long as the neck joint hasn't moved or the neck relief isn't excessive.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marty Jacobson For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=Willi Bahrenberg

One photo shows that the bridge is set as low as it goes so the action must have gotten higher over time.

Please help me understand what you are asking. If the bridge is as low as it will go, why is there a concern for high action? If the bridge is low, the action can't be too high. If the bridge is high, there may be high action. Am I missing something?

16. The following members say thank you to Skip Kelley for this post:

Hey Skip,

my phrasing might have been a little misleading. Sorry for that, English isn't my first language. My amateurish understanding of mandolin setup might also be a factor.

Please let me specify: I bougth the mandolin I own right now - a Weber Yellowstone - online without the opportunity to check it out in person first.
    It was a private ad and the mandolin was 5 years old at the time.

When it arrived, it was in a conditon where the action was way to high although the bridge was set as low as possible. There was only minimal neck relief so adjusting the truss rod wasn't really too much of an option.

I did sand down the bridge and today it plays nicely. But when I first got it I was angry and disappointed and didn't really know what to do. It was (and still is) the most money I had spent on a single thing ever in my life.

So now when I see a mandolin with a bridge set as low as it goes, I assume there must have been changes in string action that were dealt with by lowering the bridge.
    Here's the quote from the Weber-Website:

"Every now and then, the action of an instrument needs to be adjusted, sometimes beyond the capability of the new bridge's range of motion. If this happens, give us a call with your current measurements and we will supply you with a new base and/or saddle"

I've always wondered how this happens i.e. which part of the instrument shrinks, swells, sinks, bends etc. So far noone online or in person was able to provide me with a comprehensible answer.

The explanation that pheffernan gave me - yeah, that's finally something I can wrap my head around.

Quote Originally Posted by Willi Bahrenberg View Post
    The explanation that pheffernan gave me - yeah, that's finally something I can wrap my head around.

Except if the top sunk the bridge would need to be raised, not lowered. Sorry to put you back at square one.

As I understand it, wood doesn't shrink lengthways so I'd say nothing is shrinking. A set of Mandolin strings have around 90KG of tension, which presses the bridge downwards and pulls the headstock and tailpiece upwards. As all wood and each Mandolin is different, some give a little more than others and move out of the ideal geometry. The compromise is to make a Mandolin light enough to be resonant and heavy enough not to pull itself apart.

20. The following members say thank you to Davey for this post:

There are a lot of possible causes for a high action, some of which have been mentioned above. Without seeing the mandolin it can be very hard to tell what the cause is. it can be more than one thing. Here are the ones I can come up with beyond basic setup..

Seasonal wood movement; This actually can cause high or low action depending on what is moving where. As long as it stays in a decent range it is OK. Keeping some climate control helps.
    Top deformation from a loose or broken brace.
    Neck set issues or neck block issues.

I would be cautious about buying the instrument and would at least want a good return policy established.

22. The following members say thank you to Nevin for this post:

You action is high but the neck is ok? How humid is it where you live? If you loosen the strings is the neck nice and tight?
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Except if the top sunk the bridge would need to be raised, not lowered. Sorry to put you back at square one.
    Yeah, that has always been my reasoning - and great cause of confusion to me.
    But pheffernan suggests that the sinking of the top puts more tension on the headstock thereby altering the neck's angle which would cause the action to rise. This way it makes more sense to me.
    Although I admit that mandolin physics still remain kinda arcane to me...

If the top sinks and the neck is straight, you should still be raising your bridge. Since there is a truss rod and the neck is straight, the neck joint may be suspect. Is there any gap at the heel cap, or movement as John suggested with no tension on the strings. It is hard to tell from the photos, is the action good at this point? Maybe ask for a shot of the bridge at a different angle.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bertotti View Post
    You action is high but the neck is ok? How humid is it where you live? If you loosen the strings is the neck nice and tight?
    From what I can tell the neck seems to be perfectly fine. And yes, the neck is a nice, tight chunk of wood. The whole thing looks and feels just right. Nothing rattles or creaks, nothing seems warped of out of proportion. That's partly what makes me so confused.

And the climate is moderate, with noticable but not too drastic changes in temperature or humidity in the course of a year - at least comparatively.

27. The following members say thank you to Willi Bahrenberg for this post:

and @ pops1: No heelcap gap, either. There's just nothing obviously wrong with it

Even tho your humidity is fairly stable, how does it compare to where the mandolin was made? Is it normally a higher humidity? Possibly it was made with a low neck angle, you could contact the builder.

30. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

You have issues with this, let it go.

But I don't think the pictures are very enlightening as to the issues, certainly can't tell if the neck is straight. If you deducted a large amount for a repair, it should guide your bid.

But unless its perfect and the photos are deceiving, I don't think you'd ever be happy with it.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    My thought was the same process that I understand leads to a neck set on a guitar: rising action combatted by reducing the bridge saddle until that solution is exhausted.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5