Thread: Bluebell Polka

Default Bluebell Polka

Guitar, mandolin and bass. On the slow side, but about as fast as I could handle the guitar part.

The back story on this one is a bit complicated.

It’s said to be a polka right there in the title, but most agree it’s not; some say it’s really a schottische, others that it’s a barndance.

Although the name schottische (sometimes pronounced shotish, and sometimes scotEESH) indicates a Scottish origin for this form, it probably developed in Central Europe, and some Irish musicians call it “a German”. Nowadays schottisches are played in the UK, Argentina, Finland, France, Italy, Norway, Portugal, Brazil, Spain, Sweden, Denmark, Mexico, Australia, and the United States (and doubtless other places).

Though some think “Bluebell” was written in the 1950’s, it was in print in Scotland in the late 1800s. Doubtless the best-known recording was Jimmy Shand’s 1955 British hit, and he was pretty clearly Scottish. An early version turns up in Holland as "Piederman's Polka". “Bluebell” is also rather similar to the US tune “Flop-Eared Mule”.

Although it’s usually played in three parts, there is some disagreement as to the order of the parts, as well as whether the C part (or perhaps it’s the B part) is in the key of C or G.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Hicks For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Bluebell Polka

Even in Scotland, I get foxed sometimes in sessions by players who play the C part in G.
    I wonder if it's something to do with the type of accordion they play.

And most sessions don't often play old-school dance tunes like BBP, but when they do, you'd be expected to know them.
    Bren

4. The following members say thank you to Bren for this post:

Fun little tune. Nice job. And nice looking prickly pear flowers for the visuals.

As a schottische, which (I think) is popular with German decedents in central Texas, I figured the name was in reference to Bluebell Ice Cream, a favorite of ours when we lived in Austin. The Bluebell folks had great commercials that used local musicians; some of which we knew and had danced to. One commercial even included a local church choir. Always nice to see musicians getting paying gigs!

6. The following members say thank you to Denis Kearns for this post:

Although it’s usually played in three parts, there is some disagreement as to the order of the parts, as well as whether the C part (or perhaps it’s the B part) is in the key of C or G.
    It is very common for polkas to change keys in different parts of the tune. I have been playing quite a bit with a polka band the last couple of years and it seems like more of the polkas have a key change in the middle than don't.

8. The following members say thank you to CarlM for this post:

parts are usually played ABAC or ABABC in Scotland, with A part in key of G, B part in D and C part in C.
    The Jimmy Shand recording was a worldwide hit and his version is the most influential.

I've also heard claims that it's an Irish tune, although it sounds middle European to me.

I think We Banjo 3 play it in D.

The association of bluebells with Scottish folk music goes back at least to 1803 when this song was published:

O where and O where does your highland laddie dwell;
    He dwells in merry Scotland where the bluebells sweetly smell,
    And all in my heart I love my laddie well'[
    Bren

10. The following members say thank you to Bren for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bren View Post
    parts are usually played ABAC or ABABC in Scotland, with A part in key of G, B part in D and C part in C.
    The Jimmy Shand recording was a worldwide hit and his version is the most influential.

I've also heard claims that it's an Irish tune, although it sounds middle European to me.

I think We Banjo 3 play it in D.

The association of bluebells with Scottish folk music goes back at least to 1803 when this song was published:

He dwells in merry Scotland where the bluebells sweetly smell,
    And all in my heart I love my laddie well'[
    I learned this one from one of Simon Major's books. It sounded instantly familiar, though I'm not sure I'd heard it before.

For no special reason I did it in AABBACC, end on A, order. The C part sounded more interesting in the key of C; I believe Jimmy Shand did it in G, though.

We've got the same bluebell species in this part of the US, but it's not common.

D.H.

Thanks Dave! Really fun tune ! Put together and played verrry nice.

13. The following members say thank you to Frankdolin for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Frankdolin View Post
    Thanks Dave! Really fun tune ! Put together and played verrry nice.
    Thanks for listening! The two little tricks I tried to pull off here were writing complementary/harmony parts behind the melody, and using all 12 chromatic scale notes in the guitar part.

D.H.