Thread: F hole on the side?

Default F hole on the side?

I'm looking at an f style mandolin that someone made. In addition to the normal f-holes on the sound board opposite the bridge, there is an f-hole between the scroll and the lower bout. If I can figure out how to post an image I will.

Is this possibly for a performer to hear his instrument over the other instruments? It would be on the mandolin where you might tape a cheat sheet

Default Re: F hole on the side?

I would guess the intention of the maker was for it to be a soundport that would serve as a monitor. Who is the maker? Yes, post a photo.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Increasingly common on guitars. I don't play well enough to want to hear myself better.

4. The following members say thank you to robhanesworth for this post:

It has O.J. Dupuis written inside in pencil and a 1992 date

I had a sound port done on a baritone ukulele...it does make it easier to hear yourself play. It wasn't an F hole.

Given; the F type mandolin sound projects outward, more than oval sound hole tops, it is a good idea..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I've never actually played an instrument with a soundport myself. I think an f hole would look cool too
    2020 Northfield Big Mon
    2016 Skip Kelley A5
    2011 Weber Gallatin A20
    2021 Northfield Flattop Octave Mandolin
    2019 Pono Flattop Octave
    Richard Beard Celtic Flattop
    And a few electrics

9. The following members say thank you to urobouros for this post:

I have played guitars with a sound port on the side facing up. They do act as little monitors. I like the sound, but I don't like looking into the unfinished interior. I've played an octave mandolin with F-hole sound ports made by Leo Posch. They looked and sounded great.

I never know whether to start a new topic or piggy back on an existing one, but...

My wife's grandfather apparently played the mandolin and on a recent trip to Seattle, I was given two mandolins. One was an Italian bowlback from the 60s. The other one had F holes on the sides of the mandolin (see photo). They didn't know much about it other than it was made by someone the grandfather knew. If anyone knows anything about this style, I'd be interested...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandolin.jpeg 
Views:	91 
Size:	176.3 KB 
ID:	203190

Name:	mandolin2.jpeg 
Views:	63 
Size:	136.0 KB 
ID:	203191

Name:	mandolin3.jpeg 
Views:	74 
Size:	164.4 KB 
ID:	203192

12. The following members say thank you to mandokismet for this post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I would guess the intention of the maker was for it to be a soundport that would serve as a monitor. Who is the maker? Yes, post a photo.
    I'm sure that's right. Side ports on guitars make it easier for players to hear themselves.

I wonder if it weakens what the audience hears.
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

Another well-known species is the so-called ‘French’ type made in Vietnam which is really a double wall with side ports on both ribs. The one I have has an oval hole in the top. It's loud. So we have four f holes, two plus no soundboard port, one f on top and one on the side. Garber’s got it probably right about the ‘monitor’ port, and likely doesn’t affect the far sound field much except for the highest frequencies. Possible investigation for keeping an anechoic chamber useful.

Actually DeMeglio mandolins had some small slits on the side of the body which may or may not serve the same monitor function. There are many oddball ideas that makers have tried, most knows among them were Virzi tone enhancers which were controversial even at the time of manufacture.

On the same note, I came across a current eBay posting of a rather standard violin with a f-hole added on the side:

Name:	E3C3A834-0C55-4416-838A-CDEDBF432B7B.jpeg 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	203235
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1