Thread: Eastman Necks Consistent?

Default Eastman Necks Consistent?

Had a MD 515v that I loved the sound of, but had to part with it because the neck was a bad fit for me - specifically giving me discomfort just above the knuckle on my left index finger where it contacts the neck.

Been a guitar/banjo/ukulele player all my life and have a sizeable collection of instruments I play regularly. Never encountered this. I'm on my second oval hole Gibson, and both necks have been perfectly comfortable.

Wondering if I just got a bad example of a 515, or whether their necks are consistent and just not for me.

Being in a mail-order part of the world, I don't get to try a bunch of mandolins. I know I like the necks on the old Gibson (pre-trussrod) ovals, and I know I'd like a nice f-hole for the collection.

Thoughts?

Default Re: Eastman Necks Consistent?

I've got an Eastman 615 mandolin, an Eastman 915 mandolin and an Eastman 615 mandola, all the necks seem fine to me
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

I had the same issue with my Eastman 915 plus just the ease of playing. Did not realize it until I bought my 1963 Gibson, A5, two point, Jethro Burns model. That neck was so much more comfortable for me. I started searching for an F model with a similar neck and after much help from Bob Page he found that the 1955 Gibson, F-12 had a very similar neck ("C" shape, 1 3/16" nut, and flat fretboard) so bought that from him. I am so happy with it.
    Not sure what is available in your world or where you can purchase from but maybe Tamco has something to fit the bill. What a shame that retirement will close that business with no one to take it over as I have read so much about it being a wonderful Mandolin spot in that part of the world.

Try reshaping the neck to what suits you. It's been done many times before.

I've played a few. I've always felt they're similar. I have never played an old Gibson, so don't know if that's their [neck dimensions] model, or it comes from the fact that the [Eastman] company started with violins, but they're definitely a tiny bit narrower than what seems to be the current standard (1 3/32" vs. 1 1/8") and they have a more pronounced V than the (only) NF I've played. It's comfortable for me, but I will say that, while I switch back and forth a fair amount, I prefer the feel of the extra 1/32" at the nut. (Either size eventually wears on me more than playing a guitar, though I don't do much of that right now!)
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

I've had quite a few Eastman mandolins, and I had the same issue with some of them. I had a 2006 615 that I loved the sound of, but it hurt my hand to play.

My observation has been that the older Eastmans have a more pronounced V shaped neck than the newer ones. I find the newer Eastmans to have a far more comfortable neck profile. I'm not sure if they officially changed the specs or not at some point, but I've been very happy with all of the newer ones that I've owned.

7. The following members say thank you to JFMando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Kelley View Post
    Try reshaping the neck to what suits you. It's been done many times before.
    I've done this on a couple of mandolins for a client with small hands. I softened the V while he was there to put hands on it. One was a Collings and the other was an old Stelling. If you go with a speed neck at the same time then you avoid the hassle of blending the finish, which is the biggest part of the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mead View Post
    I had the same issue with my Eastman 915 plus just the ease of playing. Did not realize it until I bought my 1963 Gibson, A5, two point, Jethro Burns model. That neck was so much more comfortable for me. I started searching for an F model with a similar neck and after much help from Bob Page he found that the 1955 Gibson, F-12 had a very similar neck ("C" shape, 1 3/16" nut, and flat fretboard) so bought that from him. I am so happy with it.
    Not sure what is available in your world or where you can purchase from but maybe Tamco has something to fit the bill. What a shame that retirement will close that business with no one to take it over as I have read so much about it being a wonderful Mandolin spot in that part of the world.
    Those Gibson 2 pointers have super comfortable necks! Both Eastman and Kentucky mandolins had a much more comfortable neck profile years ago. For whatever reason, about 7 years ago both of those companies started making larger, fatter necks with more "shoulder" to them. I find both brands really uncomfortable now. It's a drag because there's not many decent mandolin choices for my students at $750 or less. The Gibson neck profile (with the exception of the Sam Bush model) is usually very "fast" and playable.

10. The following members say thank you to Glassweb for this post:

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I think my best bet is to try out my next mandolin for a few days before committing to it. I must say as a guitar/banjo player, the very narrow mandolin necks take some adjusting to. The F4 neck is more akin to the banjo necks I play.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz Jass View Post
    Thanks for the comments everyone.

I think my best bet is to try out my next mandolin for a few days before committing to it. I must say as a guitar/banjo player, the very narrow mandolin necks take some adjusting to. The F4 neck is more akin to the banjo necks I play.
    I owned the MD315 for several years, I discovered that there’s something about the neck profile that just doesn’t suit me. Since then, I’ve played numerous Eastman model mandolins and mandolas in music stores and have never found one I like. So, your decision to try before you buy is very sound! No one can argue with that, it’s always the best way when you can do that.

Obviously, there seems to be a majority here who love Eastman instruments, but don’t worry if the Eastman feel is not for you. There are many choices available. Most of the Kentucky necks suit me fine, also the Collings, and many of the vintage Gibbys as well.

Good luck on your hunt.
    Last edited by Mark Gunter; Feb-19-2022 at 9:11am.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

13. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

My only issue with my 2015 315 was the narrower nut width. I fortunately never had pain issues but did have to adjust to avoid muting adjacent strings. I thought 1 and 1/8 was my jam until I got my Rigel CT-110, which is 1 and 3/16. While my best mandolin is my Kelley A-5 and I still play it the most (1 and 1/8) the extra room on the Rigel is nice.

I agree that the neck profile is more important than nut width for me, but a wide nut mandolin may be a better option for you. FWIW, my RM-1 has a 1 and 1/4 inch width, and that takes a couple of minutes’ adjustment whenever I pick it up.
    Chuck

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

I love the neck profile of my 2018 MD-515. It is such a better fit for my hand than my Rigel that I loaded it with a K&K and let the Rigel go. Loved that instrument but never loved the neck.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

16. The following members say thank you to Dave Greenspoon for this post:

Hi David! It's funny briefly owned a used Eastman A, and liked the sound but did not like the neck at all. I LOVED the neck on the few Rigels I've played. My Flatiron
    has a big, round, thick neck and when I had an oval hole made I had it copied, more or less.

I would own an Eastman in a minute if they came with wider and bigger neck. I guess once I got used to the Flatiron, which I've had for 36 years, I can't really get use to anything else. Don't like Collings mandolins for the same reason.

18. The following members say thank you to rnjl for this post: