Thread: buying second hand (expensiive) instrument on Craiglist

Default buying second hand (expensiive) instrument on Craiglist

I intend to buy an used keyboard , listed for 1900$, from a listing on Craig list.
    I asked the seller about the receipt he got when buying this keyboard. He said the receipt was in the box which he threw away. So NO PROOF of purchase.
    I believe there is a risk buying such an instrument, as it could be a stolen instrument.

If that is true, then both the seller and the buyer could be in trouble with the law.

Is my thinking correct ? Please educate me on this.

Default Re: buying second hand (expensiive) instrument on Craiglist

Who knows? Ask the seller to meet you and to bring the instrument to your local police department for inspection before purchase.

Hi,

A keyboard would usually come with a warranty. If he registered that with the manufacturer, he should be able to prove that to you?

Regards,

Likes quaint instruments poul hansen's Avatar

Mandolin keyboard??
    Kentucky KM-805..........2 Hora M1086 Portuguese II(1 in car)
    Hora M1088 Mandola.....
    Richmond RMA-110..... .Noname Bearclaw
    Pochette Franz Janisch...5 Pocket............Alfredo Privitera pocket
    Puglisi Pocket 1908........Puglisi 1912.......Puglisi 1917
    3 Mandolinetto ..............C.Garozzo
    1 Mandriola...................Cannelo G. Mandriola...Bφhm Waldzither 1921
    Johs Mψller 1945............Luigi Embergher Studio 1933
    Marma Seashell back......Luigi Embergher 5bis 1909

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to poul hansen For This Useful Post:

I've purchased pricey electric guitars, amps and drum kits via craigslist over the years when I lived in the States and I've never asked the seller for a receipt, mainly because like myself, many folks bought the instrument second hand to begin with. Similarly I've sold pricey electric guitars, amps and drum kits and a few tenor banjos via craigslist and no one has ever asked me for a receipt. If something seems shady about the seller or transaction then back away, otherwise you're probably fine. I wouldn't consider it "suspicious" if someone inadvertently threw a receipt away with the original packaging. If you're worried that the item is hot, do a Google search for "stolen _______________ (whatever the type of keyboard it is)" and see if something comes up.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

7. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Nevin 

i'm no expert on law and may well live in a different country than you. However, if you buy an item for a reasonable price, get a signed receipt, and have gone into the seller's house to try out the instrument, you're unlikely to "get in trouble" for receiving stolen goods. However, if the police discovered that you purchased a stolen keyboard, they'd take it from you and leave you with nothing but a receipt. I wouldn't read too much into the lack of the original receipt. If you bought an instrument from me, there's a good chance I could give you my receipt. If you bought something from my sweetheart, it's not likely she'd have her old receipt. You could ask the seller for the serial number. If they don't want to give you that, walk away. (Somehow, I can't quite imagine testing out an electronic keyboard in the police station parking lot.)
    Last edited by Ranald; Aug-12-2021 at 10:50am.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

I guess you can call the police and ask whether such and such a keyboard has been reported stolen.

Outside of that ... well, buying secondhand isn't for everyone.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

10. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

I lose receipts all the time, but if you talk to seller and they're evasive or not knowledgeable about synths/piano etc, look elsewhere. You could also ask for serial number and check that against NCIC database: https://www.einvestigator.com/fbi-st...cles-database/

But if it's a common synth/stage piano, I would rather buy from reverb and pay shipping to have a paper trail. It takes a few hours to check that a used stage piano is working properly, would not buy without right to return/refund
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

Chances are you're fine. I couldn't come up with receipts (or canceled checks/credit card statements) for the dozens of instruments I've purchased over the past 50 years. Checking with local police for stolen property reports is a possibility, but such reports aren't kept accessible indefinitely; if it was stolen within the past year, you might be able to get the information.

Be sensitive to the way the seller behaves; is he/she unwilling to give you any paperwork recording the transaction? Where was the instrument purchased -- if locally, does the dealer keep sales records that could verify the seller's story?

Most people are honest (even on CraigsList), and most transactions are routine. When you get into four figures, there is more incentive to raise suspicions and ask for verification, but the overwhelming majority of sales are just what they seem to be. Of course, it's the exceptions that draw the publicity.

Mando-related anecdote: a musician in a neighboring town had a Gibson mandocello stolen in a break-in, along with other musical and non-musical stuff. Pretty obviously, it was kids taking advantage of opportunities, rather than a "pro." A few days later, the victim's son overheard in the school cafeteria another student bragging about the "cool eight-string guitar" he'd just obtained! A call to the police, a visit to the thief's house (and to his parents), and the 'cello's recovered, and the kid's in juvenile court. Wish they all turned out that way...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

13. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Ranald 

I'm with Allen, most people are honest. I've run back to the store a few times to find that a customer handed in my wallet, complete with money and cards, which means that both the customer and clerk were honest. I always use caution, and don't rush into deals. If someone doesn't want to answer questions or is in a great hurry ("I'm leaving town tomorrow"; "Another person just went to the bank to withdraw cash to buy it"), I walk away, no poorer or worse off than I was when I arrived.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

15. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post: