Thread: Easy Transposing Guitar Tabs?

Default Easy Transposing Guitar Tabs?

Is there a quick/easy way to transpose guitar tabs to Mandolin tabs? A lot of tabs will show the strings and then a "2" on the low E and maybe a "9" on the A strings of the guitar. Is there a site or a mental trick to quickly transpose these notes on a mandolin fretboard?

Default Re: Easy Transposing Guitar Tabs?

It is difficult to keep chord voicings the same on mandolin as on guitar. For starters guitars have six strings. Then there is the difference in tuning. There is a certain amount of experimentation and judgement that goes into selecting the mandolin chords that will be closest to the guitar ones.

The obvious answer is to learn the note names on each instrument, but that may be more effort than you wish.

Tabledit may be able to show guitar tab as mando tab.

MuseScore will do it, but it would be a hassle to type all that tablature in. Putting that time towards learning standard notation (assuming the material you have is also written with the dots) would be more beneficial in my opinion, but it may depends on what material you have to begin with.

Thanks
    Baron
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Collins-Hill View Post
    MuseScore will do it, but it would be a hassle to type all that tablature in. Putting that time towards learning standard notation (assuming the material you have is also written with the dots) would be more beneficial in my opinion, but it may depends on what material you have to begin with.

Thanks
    Baron
    Hey it's you! Thanks for responding! Do you have any book or video recommendations for getting rolling with standard notation on the Mandolin?

Quote Originally Posted by subby13 View Post
    Is there a quick/easy way to transpose guitar tabs to Mandolin tabs? A lot of tabs will show the strings and then a "2" on the low E and maybe a "9" on the A strings of the guitar. Is there a site or a mental trick to quickly transpose these notes on a mandolin fretboard?
    Stop using tab and learn by ear. It's difficult at first but becomes easier and easier. Tab has it's uses, but if you can't learn by ear then tab is holding you back.

Question Re: Easy Transposing Guitar Tabs?

You play guitar and know the note names all those numbers are indicating on all 6 strings?

Easier using Standard notation of guitar scores.. easier still from Violin scores..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I've heard good things about this book, but have never checked it out myself:
    https://stringthingm.com/Standard_No...Tab_Mando.html

Happy picking,
    Baron
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album