Thread: Horses of Dorrigo

Default Horses of Dorrigo

This is one of my favorite tunes on John Reischman’s new album. It works great on mandolin, mandola, or OM, since it’s in D and rarely goes up to the E string. I can’t tell what the key signature is, though. At first, I thought it was 3/4, since I can distinguish the measures, but I couldn’t get that to always line up. Help from the audience?

still trying to turn dreams into memories

Default Re: Horses of Dorrigo

Maybe it's crooked.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

NIce tune! Sounds like 4/4 to me Marcus.

On further listening, I agree. I wonder if it has chord changes off of the 1 beat in some places. I love the flow of the tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    Maybe it's crooked.
    I think it kind of is, although I don't think it has any extra beats or measures. However, the G chord from the last measure of the second line continues halfway into the first measure of the third line, which makes the second line seem 1/2-measure long and the third line seem 1/2-measure short, even though they aren't. Then in the fourth line, the first measure has three chords, but then there is a 6-beat G chord that threw off my sense of the measures.

I think I got my original impression of the tune being in 3/4 because in the intro, it has a 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2 pattern. Then, the intro abruptly stops for a two-beat rest after the second beat of the last measure, but the last note is on the 1 of the second group of three. The intro comes back as an interlude right before the final run through the tune.

Now I can start working on the melody!