Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Mandolin Tasting: Gibsons, Buckeye, Duff, Northfiled

Default Re: Mandolin Tasting: Gibsons, Buckeye, Duff, Northfiled

Thanks for doing this. I haven't watched the reveal yet, but I've listened to the original several times over different speakers. My pick 6 is my favorite, and probably not by a little bit. A grouping of 5 = 2 > 1, but not a wide gap among them. 3 is tubby to my ears and not my favorite sound and 4 sounds thin compared to the rest.

I also think strings may play into this a little. I love the Monel on my Gilchrist, but they were not friendly with my Heiden. But, put a similar set of PB on both, and the difference was much less stark.

2. The following members say thank you to Mark Seale for this post:

This has been really interesting! My personal favourite was No1. Really good to see the results, and also very interesting to see how the various mandolins sounded in the hands of two different players. Thanks for taking the time to record and post it!

It was hard for me to keep track of which one I liked with the constant changing. Would have preferred to hear the whole tune on each mando. Still a great instructive video. You sound like yourself on all the mandos and Tom sounds like himself on all the mandos. They all sounded great. Fun and thanks.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Registered User Gabriel Wiseman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Seale View Post
    Thanks for doing this. I haven't watched the reveal yet, but I've listened to the original several times over different speakers. My pick 6 is my favorite, and probably not by a little bit. A grouping of 5 = 2 > 1, but not a wide gap among them. 3 is tubby to my ears and not my favorite sound and 4 sounds thin compared to the rest.

I also think strings may play into this a little. I love the Monel on my Gilchrist, but they were not friendly with my Heiden. But, put a similar set of PB on both, and the difference was much less stark.
    Thanks for giving it a listen!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny60 View Post
    This has been really interesting! My personal favourite was No1. Really good to see the results, and also very interesting to see how the various mandolins sounded in the hands of two different players. Thanks for taking the time to record and post it!
    You bet!! It was a fun project even if it was time consuming.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    It was hard for me to keep track of which one I liked with the constant changing. Would have preferred to hear the whole tune on each mando. Still a great instructive video. You sound like yourself on all the mandos and Tom sounds like himself on all the mandos. They all sounded great. Fun and thanks.

Yes sir!
    Gabriel Wiseman
    https://poplme.co/pmywrpAD
    www.jtrband.com
    Curt Mangan Strings

2021 Duff 2 Point, 1947 Gibson J-50

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Bob View Post
    My ears liked #5, #6, and #1 in order of the top three, but they all sounded good.

But I must say that the production, playing, and mixing of this tasting was top notch! Great job in the way it was presented. Maybe that's why it was so hard for me to discern
    Well, after viewing the results, I'm a little surprised, but not too much. Plus, my ears are rapidly aging, so it's hard to hear subtle differences on computer speakers. I would be happy to own any of the mandolins sampled, and I'd be really please with any of my choices.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

At first I was a bit embarrassed that I didn't pick one of the big buck mandolins but after hearing it again...no buyers remorse, that's just the one I liked best (Bibey Model). Crazy that I found one on Reverb for less than 5k (but it had already sold).

Who knew?!? Of course all of these were pro quality expensive mandolins. Might have been fun to throw in an Eastman 315 and see if we picked that one!

Thanks again for the test
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

8. The following members say thank you to Chuck Leyda for this post:

Gabe, I know its already been said in this thread before, but you make all those mandolins sound great man. Well done.

I think you could do the same thing with some entry level mandolins in the mix and I would have a hard time telling which was which.
    Jake B.
    Charleston, SC

I prefer #3. I like a more mellow, deep sound and not as much the tenor of the higher strings.

You know what really interests me is that some of the descriptions of what the individual likes about the tone or dislikes in some cases is almost opposite of what I heard while other seem to be on the same page as me. I find that extremely weird!
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Bob View Post
    Well, after viewing the results, I'm a little surprised, but not too much. Plus, my ears are rapidly aging, so it's hard to hear subtle differences on computer speakers. I would be happy to own any of the mandolins sampled, and I'd be really please with any of my choices.
    I hear ya on the aging man!! I think I'm having the same issue. thanks for listening
    Gabriel Wiseman
    www.jtrband.com
    Curt Mangan Strings

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Leyda View Post
    At first I was a bit embarrassed that I didn't pick one of the big buck mandolins but after hearing it again...no buyers remorse, that's just the one I liked best (Bibey Model). Crazy that I found one on Reverb for less than 5k (but it had already sold).

Who knew?!? Of course all of these were pro quality expensive mandolins. Might have been fun to throw in an Eastman 315 and see if we picked that one!

Thanks again for the test
    Yeah! that would have been cool
    Gabriel Wiseman
    www.jtrband.com
    Curt Mangan Strings

Quote Originally Posted by John Bertotti View Post
    You know what really interests me is that some of the descriptions of what the individual likes about the tone or dislikes in some cases is almost opposite of what I heard while other seem to be on the same page as me. I find that extremely weird!

Exactly!! that's why they say "to each his own" I guess. Everybody has different preferences..... don't mean any one is better than another, just listener preference. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JimIrsik View Post
    I prefer #3. I like a more mellow, deep sound and not as much the tenor of the higher strings.

yeah. that was the Buckeye.
    Gabriel Wiseman
    www.jtrband.com
    Curt Mangan Strings

15. The following members say thank you to Gabriel Wiseman for this post:

Well, I am proud of myself for picking the Loar as my favorite LOL!
    Like everyone has said, they are all great so there are no losers here. I do think it's important to note the years and that all of these makers have had changes in sounds over the years before and after these.

Great picking and great putting this together Gabe.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Egerton View Post
    Well, I am proud of myself for picking the Loar as my favorite LOL!
    Like everyone has said, they are all great so there are no losers here. I do think it's important to note the years and that all of these makers have had changes in sounds over the years before and after these.

Great picking and great putting this together Gabe.
    Yeah!! These makers have had changes in what they do over the years for sure. Northfield has probably done more research and improvements to their designs than anyone over the last 10 years or so.
    Gabriel Wiseman
    www.jtrband.com
    Curt Mangan Strings