Thread: Myers Blend Pickup

Default Myers Blend Pickup

I’m exploring a dual channel option for my pickup. Anyone have any experience with the Blend or other Myers products? Appreciate the feedback.
    Washburn Americana M118SWK
    Keith Coleman custom 3 point w/ oval
    Schwab 5-string electric #79

Default Re: Myers Blend Pickup

I'm just getting started with the Myer, "The Grip/Clamp Micro Gooseneck" and played it on my last gig, yesterday. I was very pleased with the sound. It sounded so very natural. Big difference compared to the transducer.
    Be sure to have the adaptor from 1/4" phone plug to XLR because it's a huge volume issue

Billy.
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

Thanks Billy! Quick question is the 1/4" to XLR going direct to a PA with no preamp?

That's right, no preamp. That's what Greg Myers said to do. Playing with it at home was through an Acoustic Image amp and at the gig I was using the Bose L1, model 2 with the ToneMatch. It took a lot more gain to get it into range but once there it was fine. Greg suggested putting in a new battery which I will do.

Did you see the model I'm using with the clamp like the armrests use? It is really the one for mandolin.
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson 1923 A2

I got in touch with Gregg the other day and it was very informative. Really nice guy and very helpful. He informed me that all the Myers setups have the same kind of microphone which was my main concern between the different systems.

I’m gonna give the Blend a go and report back for folks interested in how it performs as a dual channel set up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Myer on Weber.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	452.8 KB 
ID:	196743Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Myer on Weber.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	452.8 KB 
ID:	196743

Here's the grip I'm using. I really like it. I first tried the feather series but couldn't get it mounted right but this one is a pc. of cake. Gregg was totally cool with getting me set up with the correct product.
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson 1923 A2

I finally went to the Myers 3"-gooseneck "Grip", after about a year of having frequent stability problems with the Myers "Feather" (the "Feather's" microphone kept drifting away from the sound hole for a variety of reasons). For ease of installation and for keeping the microphone where it belongs, I'd say definitely go with the "Grip".

Re. use of a pre-amp, over the course of about a year I surely spent tens of hours tweaking a Grace ("Alix") pre-amp using the Myers, with pretty good success, but eventually I ditched the pre-amp altogether and went straight from the Myers into an amplified speaker, and/or various sound system/s, for the best sound of all...which is exactly what Gregg Myers advised me to do in the very beginning. Should have listened to Gregg from the get-go. The little box that clips tp your pocket or whatever, is a pre-amp; originally I just didn't see how that tiny box could possibly do the job, as compared to what I considered to be a "real" pre-amp--glad to discover that I was wrong on that (at least wrong, given my limited technical "amplification" skills).

The Myers is an easy means to achieve first-class, natural amplification.

8. The following members say thank you to Potosimando for this post:

I have had great success running the Myers feather directly into a small Schertler Giulia amplifier. It goes into the amp through the XLR input and I use the direct out to go to the mixer. I also use the insert channel to attach a volume pedal to increase the volume for leads. I am very happy with the sound.

It works for me to clip the Myers onto the pickguard -- see attached picture.

Alan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Myersfeather.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	196769  
    acinva

Thanks everyone for the replies! I ended up ordering a Feather as I realized that the Blend would have too much extra cable to deal with. I also appreciate the recommendation on the Grip. I'll keep that in mind in case the Feather's placement has issues.

11. The following members say thank you to DogHouseMando for this post: