Thread: Proper Care for Mid-Missouri M4 Flattop

Question Proper Care for Mid-Missouri M4 Flattop

Hi

I recently bought a used M4 and wanted to get more information on proper care and maintenance of the instrument. I really couldn't find anything out there regarding best care. How often should I oil? What best protects the neck from warping, etc.? I am new to the mando world and I want to start off right.

I love the sound from this instrument, and I want to ensure playability for the future. It is currently at a local luthier's shop to see if the action can be improved. Thanks for any recommendations.
    Tony

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Proper Care for Mid-Missouri M4 Flattop

Foremost avoid extreme temperatures and most importantly extreme temperature fluctuations. Your profile does not say where you are from so I have no idea if you deal with a climate of low humidity or like me I’m usually dealing with high humidity. Neither are good.
    Taylor guitars used to have and likely still do information on their website for protecting their guitars. Their information holds true for all wooden string instruments that I am aware of.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Bill View Post
    . Your profile does not say where you are from so I have no idea if you deal with a climate of low humidity or like me I’m usually dealing with high humidity.
    I need to update my profile it seems. I live in Western Massachusetts. I will check out the Taylor website and pick up any recommendations. Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyC View Post
    Hi

I recently bought a used M4 and wanted to get more information on proper care and maintenance of the instrument. I really couldn't find anything out there regarding best care. How often should I oil? What best protects the neck from warping, etc.? I am new to the mando world and I want to start off right.

I love the sound from this instrument, and I want to ensure playability for the future. It is currently at a local luthier's shop to see if the action can be improved. Thanks for any recommendations.
    Tony
    Hey Tony, Here's a snip from an email reply I got from Mike Dulak when I asked him about taking care of my '99 M-15:

Howard's Feed and Wax is a great product to anoint every part of the mando (not the tuners or tailpiece). In hardware stores in the 'cleaning supply' area.
    Over on the Big Muddy/Mid Missouri social group there's a pic of a cool old brochure I posted from the Mid Mo days that you might find interesting.

5. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

TonyC 

This is what I was hoping to find out about. I need to check out the social group as well. This is quite the site!

- - - Updated - - -

BTW...Hi Sue!