Thread: New case for a F2?

Default New case for a F2?

Hi all. Recently I got a good deal on a 1914 F2 that was renecked in the 1950s by Gibson (see photo). I love the mandolin and the price was right given the modification but it needs a new case and I am having problems finding one. Could those of you with a F2 or F4 point me in the right direction for an inexpensive modern case that fits?

Sorry, I know this has been covered before but all the previous posts are quite dated. Thanks so much!

Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xnonkibuy1ft8lvf0dow.jpeg 
Views:	138 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	195818  

Default Re: New case for a F2?

Good luck! It's a tricky one - you really want to go to a shop that has some and try them out. Then let me know when you find one that fits, 'cos I need one too

Problem with most is that they're made for a long-neck, F-hole. So the headstock on an F2 or 4 doesn't clear the accessory compartment.

Nice mandolin. I posted a link to this one on the Vintage Gibson Mandolin Facebook page when I first saw the listing. Thought it was a great deal for someone, and knew it wouldn't last long.

I wrote to Elderly instruments about cases. Here's what they came back with:

Thanks for reaching out. We can't guarantee a case fit without your instrument in our store here, but we've found two cases that will accommodate this style. Unfortunately they are both sold out right now. If you click the Email Me button on the item page, we can let you know as soon as we have more in:
    https://www.elderly.com/products/his...-mandolin-case
    https://www.elderly.com/products/gua...-mandolin-case
    I hope this helps!

3. The following members say thank you to Bazz Jass for this post:

Thanks a lot John. Let me know if you end up finding a case that works. I did find this link to a Golden Gate Vintage 1920s case manufactured by Saga -- https://www.thinmanmusic.org/store/G...520-p311013716. It seems to be only be at this one SF Bay Area music store so not sure it's still available (I have an email into the store and will let you know what I find out). In the meantime maybe someone else will have some ideas. I do have the original case but it's in so-so shape and I wouldn't want to take it out in that.

Glad to hear about the Gibson Vintage FB group -- just joined! And glad I snapped up my renecked F2 before anyone else could!!

Paul

5. The following members say thank you to Paulrb51 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrb51 View Post
    Thanks a lot John. Let me know if you end up finding a case that works. I did find this link to a Golden Gate Vintage 1920s case manufactured by Saga -- It seems to be only be at this one SF Bay Area music store so not sure it's still available (I have an email into the store and will let you know what I find out). In the meantime maybe someone else will have some ideas. I do have the original case but it's in so-so shape and I wouldn't want to take it out in that.

Glad to hear about the Gibson Vintage FB group -- just joined! And glad I snapped up my renecked F2 before anyone else could!!

Paul
    That's a great looking case, if it will fit. I don't see why it shouldn't.

Very rare, and you should edit your post to hide that link, because someone will buy it before you can blink

7. The following members say thank you to Bazz Jass for this post:

That Golden Gate case looks nice. I keep my F2 3pt. in a Hiscox case. Plenty of room even with a tone guard attached. They are very solid cases if a little bulky.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandogrouch For This Useful Post:

The New Eastman fiberglass may be the right thing.. elongated head area for F4, F5..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

11. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

There is a current thread in the Equipment forum about Bobelock cases. Have a good look at the photo of an A in one—a shorter neck should still fit.

Can anyone confirm if that vintage-style Saga case works for F-2s? It looks like those are NOS and those folks have several.
    It's not that life is short, but that we waste so much of it.

--Seneca (paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by Tighthead View Post
    Can anyone confirm if that vintage-style Saga case works for F-2s? It looks like those are NOS and those folks have several.
    They're obviously designed for an F5 style as shown in this photo:

It's whether the shorter neck of the F2 will work. The headstock MAY not clear the accessory pocket, and the tuner buttons may not fit the narrower space closer to the accessory pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz Jass View Post
    They're obviously designed for an F5 style as shown in this photo:

It's whether the shorter neck of the F2 will work. The headstock MAY not clear the accessory pocket, and the tuner buttons may not fit the narrower space closer to the accessory pocket.
    Thank you very much! That's exactly what I was worried about. I think there's a Gator case with a movable neck rest. Not a hard case but seems to be the next best thing.
    It's not that life is short, but that we waste so much of it.

--Seneca (paraphrased)

16. The following members say thank you to Tighthead for this post: