Thread: Little Italy - my first composition for guitar and mandolin)

Default Little Italy - my first composition for guitar and mandolin)

Hi everyone!! I am a composer and guitarist, and just recently started studying mandolin).
    This is now one of my favourite instruments. And I'm glad I found this forum.
    Let me share the first song in which I used a mandolin.
    The actual line of the mandolin starts at 2.45 (if someone is not interested in the guitar part )
    I would be glad to hear any feedback!)

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to S.A.Rusanov For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Little Italy - my first composition for guitar and mandolin)

Very nice composition. I enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing and good luck on your mandolin journey.

4. The following members say thank you to Lucas for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by S.A.Rusanov View Post
    I would be glad to hear any feedback
    Nice! Sweet mandolin solo between 3:32 and 3:46. Very enjoyable recording.

(Although I almost didn't get past the video's first 15 seconds because I thought it was going to be some chromatic non-rhythmic thing which would have been beyond my comprehension. Glad I kept listening.)

Very cool that you're making that sub-$100 Rogue RM-100A mandolin sing like a Lloyd Loar! Just goes to show that it doesn't take a fancy thousand(s)-dollar mandolin to make nice music, when a player such as yourself is skillful enough (and can listen to their own playing well enough) to adapt to each particular instrument's strengths and limitations.

It's also inspiring to see your smooth, seemingly-effortless finger movements on the fretboards. Great efficiency of motion, which makes everything look easy (even when it isn't). I like to study these kinds of graceful fretboard motions to give me ideas on how to improve my own playing.

Oh, one other observation, since you did ask for feedback. This is just my opinion and some will think differently, but I think it's good that you're holding the pick in the mandolin way (fingers curled), rather than the guitar way (fingers all splayed out). IMO the mandolin way is definitely the way to go, for mandolin playing, makes precision easier. At least that's been my experience although I started out on mandolin and didn't get to guitar until a long time later, so my experience with that is probably backwards from most.

Anyway, nice recording, thanks for posting!

6. The following members say thank you to Jess L. for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Very nice composition. I enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing and good luck on your mandolin journey.
    Thanks a lot!!

Quote Originally Posted by JL277z View Post
    Nice! Sweet mandolin solo between 3:32 and 3:46. Very enjoyable recording.

(Although I almost didn't get past the video's first 15 seconds because I thought it was going to be some chromatic non-rhythmic thing which would have been beyond my comprehension. Glad I kept listening.)

Very cool that you're making that sub-$100 Rogue RM-100A mandolin sing like a Lloyd Loar! Just goes to show that it doesn't take a fancy thousand(s)-dollar mandolin to make nice music, when a player such as yourself is skillful enough (and can listen to their own playing well enough) to adapt to each particular instrument's strengths and limitations.

It's also inspiring to see your smooth, seemingly-effortless finger movements on the fretboards. Great efficiency of motion, which makes everything look easy (even when it isn't). I like to study these kinds of graceful fretboard motions to give me ideas on how to improve my own playing.

Oh, one other observation, since you did ask for feedback. This is just my opinion and some will think differently, but I think it's good that you're holding the pick in the mandolin way (fingers curled), rather than the guitar way (fingers all splayed out). IMO the mandolin way is definitely the way to go, for mandolin playing, makes precision easier. At least that's been my experience although I started out on mandolin and didn't get to guitar until a long time later, so my experience with that is probably backwards from most.

Anyway, nice recording, thanks for posting!
    Thank you so much for your feedback! Your feedback inspires me a lot! I had a mandolin in my deep childhood, but I did not play it, but only looked at the instrument as something very beautiful) Now I am trying to study the mandolin's (violin's) tuning, and this is not so easy for an old guitarist). And the strings tension on the mandolin seems very hard for me now )
    Thanks again for your feedback. I will continue to study this wonderful instrument!

9. The following members say thank you to S.A.Rusanov for this post:

These cheap Rogue mandolins used to b Savannah SA-120 and previously Johnson M100s (I think). I've had loads of them over years and they are best value mandolin by far. I often pick up my Savannah SA-120 after playing a high end mandolin and think "wow"-its all there.

Excellent playing throughout. He'd fit in with anyone.

11. The following members say thank you to jimmy powells for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

I love your smooth guitar chops, your composition & arrangement made for some enjoyable listening. The mandolin added another dimension and texture, I’m sure it will continue to inspire you. Thanks for sharing
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

13. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy powells View Post
    These cheap Rogue mandolins used to b Savannah SA-120 and previously Johnson M100s (I think). I've had loads of them over years and they are best value mandolin by far. I often pick up my Savannah SA-120 after playing a high end mandolin and think "wow"-its all there.

Excellent playing throughout. He'd fit in with anyone.

In fact, Rogue is the only instrument that I could buy in my small town

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    I love your smooth guitar chops, your composition & arrangement made for some enjoyable listening. The mandolin added another dimension and texture, I’m sure it will continue to inspire you. Thanks for sharing
    Thank you for your feedback! I'm very pleased!