Thread: Ear Training leaps and steps

Default Ear Training leaps and steps

Well. I used to have Practica Musica and didn't get very far into it. Life got in the way along with prioritizing other things but I have now updated the app, rebought it my version was way too old.

I started an ear training exercise called leaps and steps. I didn't even know what a leap was so now I know anything more than a half step or step is a leap.

Is it normal to be better in one direction than the other? I can correctly identify ascending much more accurately than I can descending. I am not even sure why that would be but it has me thinking I should play my major scale more in both directions to ingrain it in my memory.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ear Training leaps and steps

Funny you should be mentioning this as my wife is doing awful singing and playing in ear training right now. Ha, ha. I think most people have trouble, one way or the other. It is easy to 'get into a rut' by assuming you can't do something'; and then 'locking in' a habit. Mix it up. Be creative. Do scales with odd rhythm patterns or only do descending scales for a while.

Tritones anyone? yikes what a leap.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

3. The following members say thank you to DougC for this post:

Default Re: Ear Training leaps and steps

I tired to vocalize the do re mi but failed miserably. My voice cracks crackles and just isn’t working currently. Had been coughing like crazy and no it isn’t what we aren’t allowed to talk about. I almost completely lost my voice and it is only just coming back. But after all the yelling in the Marines I can’t vocalize musically hardly at all. I understand her frustration!
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.