Thread: Tuning Machines source

Default Tuning Machines source

Hi, looking for come gear over worm silver color tuning machines. Seeing some crazy prices on these of over $500. I can get some gear under for 20-30 bux.
    Anybody got a source link for some reasonable prices tuners?

Default Re: Tuning Machines source

For mandolin? F-style peghead? A-style peghead?

Sorry, F. Kentucky KM-1000

Check out Rubner tuners at www.rubner.com. I put them on my KM650 that was made if Japan in the 80’s. They work and look great and are half the price of Waverlies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Higgins View Post
    Check out Rubner tuners at www.rubner.com. I put them on my KM650 that was made if Japan in the 80’s. They work and look great and are half the price of Waverlies.
    Thank you but looking for under $100. Those are half of what I paid for the mando. BTW here is the actual link https://www.rubnertuners.com/

There are inexpensive tuners on Amazon and elsewhere. You have to make sure they have the same post spacing and the same orientation. Are you talking about the worm gear being above the cog or below it?

Elderly:
    https://www.elderly.com/search?q=f+s...ries+%26+Parts

Stewmac:
    https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-ha...uning-machines

Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=F+style+m...f=nb_sb_noss_2

All Parts:
    https://www.allparts.com/collections...tion-mandolin?
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

As stated. "gear over worm silver color tuning machines"
    Those links you attached are either sold out or over 100
    Thank you anyway.
    I really only need 2 tuner Button Screws but can't find them anywhere. See other threads here where screws are hard to find.

If you can identify the brand of tuners you currently have, one of us might have some spare screws for them.

For new tuners, I'd suggest looking for Gotohs. They're in the $50-$90 range.

These have the configuration you're looking for but turn in the reverse direction.

Quote Originally Posted by amowry View Post
    If you can identify the brand of tuners you currently have, one of us might have some spare screws for them.

For new tuners, I'd suggest looking for Gotohs. They're in the $50-$90 range.

These have the configuration you're looking for but turn in the reverse direction.
    I have those exact tuners in your eBay link. Still trying to go the screw route. Just got some screws on Amazon - M2.5-0.45 X 10MM. Slightly too big. I can get some grover tuners for about that same price as your eBay link. These screws are screwy.
    I ordered a set of Golden Gate tuners, underworms from eBay for 15 bux for the screws. Coming tomorrow. Supposed to have removable buttons but cant see the screw in the picture. Well see. Shame to toss out 1 year old set of tuners for 2 missing screws.
    Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Blewgrasser; Aug-17-2021 at 8:49pm.

I didn't see that you were looking for screws for the tuner buttons, I must have missed that. Most of the time when folks ask a nice guy here sends them to them for free. I'm not sure that can happen here. If they are Gotoh or Saga tuners the tuner button screws are M2.3 a very odd size. It's extremely close to the SAE 2-64. They can be interchanged. The other problem with the tuners on that Kentucky is that Saga used some Gotoh tuners and some fake Gotoh tuners so what they look like doesn't matter a whole lot. The screw sizes remain the same.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    ...Gotoh or Saga tuners the tuner button screws are M2.3 a very odd size...
    Which brings up in my mind once again the rhetorical question; WHY?.
    Was the decision to use an obscure thread made to deliberately make it extremely difficult to find replacements? Was it the naive absence of understanding that screws can get lost and need to be replaced? Was it "planned obsolescence" so that we must buy new tuners rather than repair the ones that loose screws? Is there some good reason to choose an obscure thread size that I'm missing?

It has been a recurring source of frustration and irritation dealing with tuner manufacturers and their seemingly mean-spirited choice of thread sizes.

OK, rant over, or at least suppressed for now. Carry on...

I didn't see that you were looking for screws for the tuner buttons, I must have missed that. Most of the time when folks ask a nice guy here sends them to them for free. I'm not sure that can happen here. If they are Gotoh or Saga tuners the tuner button screws are M2.3 a very odd size. It's extremely close to the SAE 2-64. They can be interchanged. The other problem with the tuners on that Kentucky is that Saga used some Gotoh tuners and some fake Gotoh tuners so what they look like doesn't matter a whole lot. The screw sizes remain the same.
    Thanks for that info. That makes a lot of sense as the M2.5 are very close. Sorry about the confusion. I really wanted the screws only but gave up after hunting at local hardware stores and screw suppliers. I contacted a music supply and he says he has some that will probably fit. Will give for free but $8.95 shipping. I may go that route. Thank you for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    Was the decision to use an obscure thread made to deliberately make it extremely difficult to find replacements? Was it the naive absence of understanding that screws can get lost and need to be replaced? Was it "planned obsolescence" so that we must buy new tuners rather than repair the ones that loose screws? Is there some good reason to choose an obscure thread size that I'm missing?

It has been a recurring source of frustration and irritation dealing with tuner manufacturers and their seemingly mean-spirited choice of thread sizes.

My thoughts exactly

My money is on “hey we have a ton of these odd screws we can sell you cheap”

Which brings up in my mind once again the rhetorical question; WHY?...
    I haven't figured that out but then again I've had conversations with Gotoh (they gave me the screw size), with Grover and that was enlightening as well, and with the folks at StewMac regarding their tuners and the one thing I have determined is that nobody has a long game and there will never be standard sizes for anything. Gotoh changed their button posts from square to two flats years ago and that eliminated the possibility of sharing buttons with Waverly and the Golden Age tuners. Grover built the Gibson Grover tuners with totally different screw and button connections than their normal tuners. Heck, theirs might change from series to series, I have no idea. Schaller has totally changed their tuners and I have no idea if there is anything common there. I do however understand proprietary manufacturing in concept and in practice. Generally that's done to capture the buyer so they have to come back to you. I just wish these companies would actually sell the pieces needed to do repairs. You and I both know that's not a new problem.

My favorite issue with this was when I was trying to talk to Stewmac about worm over Waverly F style tuners and the person on the other end of the phone said they had never manufactured any. Then I bought a set used from a cafe member that knew I was looking for them. I'm assuming Sam Bush has a set or two.

It's frustrating. I never throw out old broken tuners I just scavenge them for parts.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

...I never throw out old broken tuners I just scavenge them for parts.
    I have about 10 gallons of old tuners (a couple of dry wall buckets full) and parts, as well as some more organized drawers full of them. Still, manufacturers manage to frustrate and infuriate.
    I've filed button posts from 2-flat to square, reshaped the holes in tuner buttons, all sorts things just to give the customer what he/she wants to the best of my ability. Too bad tuner manufacturers done care about giving customers (me, et al) what we want!

With current manufacturing processes available it seems to me that it might not be a bad business model to offer tuners with a choice of finishes, a choice of button material, a choice of shaft length, etc.. Just go through the check list and design your own custom tuners. A pipe dream I suppose.

I am looking for tuner buttons for my ky km 1000......they have a 2 flat shaft with 2 oval ends...I really dislike those fake pearloid buttons...